Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Dropping those last few pounds is amazingly difficult, but that is ok. I tend to carry my weight more like a man than a woman - everything is in my middle section. Since I've lost so much weight I've a lot of loose skin there, and with 2 abdominal surgeries over the years the odds of my ever being able to see my abs is probably not a reasonable expectation.

    There is heavy lifting on those workouts, but right now my trainer is concentrating on my form. My head/body doesn't seem to like to cooperate with each other and learning proper form after several years of learning bad habits from another trainer is making that a rather frustrating process for both of us. I am staying the course however. My upper body strength is pretty bad, my lower body is quite strong.

    He has us sprinting occasionally, and I also sprint on the bike.

    I may well just be over-thinking all of this, I tend to do that...

    Comment


    • #17
      Hi Catrin - I'm new here, but I have a couple thoughts. I am younger, but similar size - 5'4", 120 lbs. I did a similar "bootcamp fitness" type class from Oct 2011-May 2011. Two things I didn't see you mention was your BF% or how long you had been in the class. That's important to know. I started the class at about 127 lbs & 23% BF. I ended around 118 lbs & 16%. I didn't worry about weight for the first 4 months. I'd lose weight & regain it (plus some!) because of the fast loss + muscle gain. I didn't feel like I made any weight progress, but I was measuring BF% & reducing that. For calorie intake, they had me at around 1400 for weight loss, 1700-1800 for maintenance. I was not supposed to drop below 1200 calories. I wasn't eating paleo then. I ate normally (SAD, but not terrible SAD) but had to go to a low sugar diet where I monitored my calories closely for a couple weeks to finally get to my goal. It sounds like you are already low carb, so one theory is too many net calories (esp. if it's hard to get that many in), and maybe not enough recovery. The other theory is you're exactly where you should be. (For years, I thought I needed to weight 105 lbs because I weighed 105-110 lbs throughout my 20s. Then I looked at my lean body mass now and realized my lean mass was almost what my total weight was then and it was never going to work. And I was probably healthier now. I think we get hung up on a magic number sometimes. Better just to feel awesome.)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
        x2, but hell I hope I can do that at 53 y/o.
        I'm lifting at 47. 53 is not old at all. I fully expect myself to be backpacking into my 80s.

        Originally posted by AdamC29 View Post
        Also, people may disagree here but aiming for 2,000 calories at 129 pounds seems pretty high
        Perhaps, but I think calorie-counting and weighing on the scale should both be thrown out the window. Instead, lift barbells.

        Originally posted by Catrin View Post
        Dropping those last few pounds is amazingly difficult, but that is ok. I tend to carry my weight more like a man than a woman - everything is in my middle section. Since I've lost so much weight I've a lot of loose skin there, and with 2 abdominal surgeries over the years the odds of my ever being able to see my abs is probably not a reasonable expectation.

        There is heavy lifting on those workouts, but right now my trainer is concentrating on my form. My head/body doesn't seem to like to cooperate with each other and learning proper form after several years of learning bad habits from another trainer is making that a rather frustrating process for both of us. I am staying the course however. My upper body strength is pretty bad, my lower body is quite strong.

        He has us sprinting occasionally, and I also sprint on the bike.

        I may well just be over-thinking all of this, I tend to do that...
        I have been attending a conditioning class for 10 months with lots of core work, lots of body weight work, somewhat high intensity etc. until recently. The weights were never heavy, but we'd lift them so many times it really hurt. It worked well at first but was no longer adding value. I wasn't getting stronger or seeing body comp changes anymore.

        I have started using barbells. After only 3 weeks I can see abs forming. My waist is an inch smaller. I could not do a pushup at all and now I can do 4. I bet today I can do 5. I eat more because I'm hungry and want to be strong. Here's a link to my journal post yesterday with what I ate. I'm guessing that's more than 2000 calories.

        I bet I weigh more than 133 now but I don't care. My boyfriend asked me the other day, "How come your legs look so nice lately?" This morning he saw my belly and said, "Woah, look at you! You have abs!" Lifting barbells actually works. I'm not coordinated, either, but I can do this.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

        Comment


        • #19
          Just a thought.....for the amount of activity you do, maybe you should drop your fat and up the carbs a little?

          Comment


          • #20
            If you are looking to just reduce fat then would not a 24 -36 hour fast once every couple of weeks be a good way to burn some extra fat?

            I'm suprised no-one has mentioned it so far, but what you are eating is working for you as you feel good and are maintiang a good activity level, so I would have though IF on an easy day would work really well for you.
            You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              I'm lifting at 47. 53 is not old at all. I fully expect myself to be backpacking into my 80s.
              I meant doing HITs 3x a week when I'm 50.
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                If you are looking to just reduce fat then would not a 24 -36 hour fast once every couple of weeks be a good way to burn some extra fat?

                I'm suprised no-one has mentioned it so far, but what you are eating is working for you as you feel good and are maintiang a good activity level, so I would have though IF on an easy day would work really well for you.
                I've a problem in that my body adapted so well to very restricted calories at a high activity level for so long that I don't feel hunger pangs - unless I literally start myself for a protracted period. I finally started giving my body enough calories this year (I increased my caloric intake by > 50% and immediately lost ~10 pounds). Frankly, I am afraid of trying IF. I feel like I am no longer at war with my food and I don't want to mess with that balance.

                My BF% was right at 22-23% the last time it was checked (in September). I've some fat to lose...but it is ok if I don't reach some magic number. I just want to get rid of as much of my belly fat as I can for health reasons. I probably don't sleep quite enough, and there are days when my stress levels are too high. Perhaps it is time to start working on those things...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Apparently what I was doing wrong was not complaining about my plateau. This morning I stepped on the scales for my weekly weigh-in and I am down by a touch over 2 pounds from last week I am just a little over a pound from my original target weight so I am happy.

                  I appreciate the comments on my macros, it is hard to figure out what works for my body and to not over-think things. I still think I need to try and get a bit more sleep (I average between 6-7 hours), and to watch my stress levels. I will know for sure in early December what is going on with my body fat % so I think I want to leave my food alone and focus on sleep and stress.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Catrin View Post
                    I appreciate the comments on my macros, it is hard to figure out what works for my body and to not over-think things. I still think I need to try and get a bit more sleep (I average between 6-7 hours), and to watch my stress levels. I will know for sure in early December what is going on with my body fat % so I think I want to leave my food alone and focus on sleep and stress.
                    That sounds like a great idea. Stress can be a huge factor. I also have to agree about switching up the frequent cardio for heavy lifting. If you want to change your body composition, you need to lift heavy weights.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      To overcome a plateau in your diet you may try to cycle in two days per week where you goes very low on calories, in your case around 600-700 kcal. A proteinfast(PSMF) on Monday and Thursday could make things start to happen again to get rid of the last stubborn bodyfat…
                      Last edited by Gorbag; 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM.
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                      - Schopenhauer

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X