Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal on a budget with a big ol family?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by springdragon2727 View Post
    Hunting . . .Its NOT out of the realm of idea, but then would be another financial hobby that I am not ready to invest in yet.
    hee hee. I know that's right. We're eating an extremely expensive bunch of venison right now, when you factor in the tree stand, deer blind, cameras, corn, traded in/upgraded gun, trips to review the cameras and lay down corn and site in the gun, ammo, camo gear. My son shot his first buck (early season) & it had a very nice rack so DH wanted to get it mounted for him. . . If both my son and husband shoot the three tags they have left we might come closer to breaking even.

Comment

Lol, I am starting to think we can relate. I am blessed with mom who makes vegetarian pizza 'with a bit of bacon' and mother in law who could not figure out why people don't like the noodle soup on day two after cooking (same noodles, right?)

Don't worry too much about rice - if folks like it, go for it, it's cheap and non-toxic. I just find that many folks with the notable exception of buddist monks don't get full on it, hence the huge portions in the restaurants.

I bought a couple of pumpkins + we grew one, and roasted it then slow-cooked it into puree with spices and orange juice concentrate. As a matter of fact I am making pumpkin soup tonight from one of the jars!

Wow, I have the opposite problem with growing. We are in Calgary, so I am paranoid about hardy, but I have tomatoes and basil too (bunch of other stuff!). I am big on growing berries and small fruit because they are easy to freeze and they cost a fortune. Plus, I love having root vegetables, because they taste AWSOME! Peas and beans because they are purty! (I inter plant with sweet peas for color on the trellises). I just LOVE growing our food, I think it really engages my wee one
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Substitutions:
        Instead of bread and pasta for filler substitute potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice
        Instead of processed quick foods make home made
        Instead if store bought yogurt, make your own (cheaper, healthier)
        Fruit instead of desserts, cookies.
        Fat is a cheap calorie source, consume healthy fats
        Bulk with veggies - stir frys, casseroles with tons of veggies baked in.
        Water and herbal teas (chilled makes a nice drink) instead of sugary sodas and juices.
        Eggs are awesome and cheap
        If you need more cheap protein look at preparing beans correctly to remove toxins

You will avoid a lot of crap just cutting out vegetable oils (except olive) and wheat and refined and processed foods.

Comment

I have 5 boys, and we all eat varying degrees of paleo or primal. My dh is pretty strict paleo, but the kids and I do eat some dairy. We spend about $1000 on groceries (includes paper goods like TP and paper towels, disposable diapers for nights, cleaning products, etc).

We do not eat a ton of organic. Nor do we eat as much grassfed meats as we'd like, simply from a cost perspective. Here's what we do, though.

We live in the country, so we have chickens for eggs (and supplement by buying eggs from a neighbor). We also have had goats for the dairy, but we don't have any at the moment (our neighbor will give us extra milk if she has any, but that's dried up until spring). We have a butcher fairly close to us that sells bundles of locally raised meats, so we get a beef bundle and a pork bundle (about $140 total) every couple of months, plus we buy chicken thighs and whole chickens at Costco. Before we discovered the butcher, we did a ton of ground beef, some cheaper pork cuts (Boston Butt and center cut pork loins that we cut into roasts and chops), and the chicken products. In the summer, we bought veggies from the farmer's market, which really helped cut grocery costs (was more like $900 per month instead). We are planning a huge garden for next year so we can can and freeze a bunch of our food. My husband also hunts and tries to supplement the meat with venison (oldest would like to hunt squirrels and rabbits but hasn't gone yet).

I buy bulk as much as I can, too, because that helps a ton. I have been known to make rice to stretch a meal for hungry growing boys. The adults don't typically eat any grains, though. I agree with weird meat cuts. I got 2 beef hearts for a little under $3 the other day. And I've found different kinds of ribs marked down that were absolutely delicious. Our butcher sells beef liver for $1.49/lb, which is a steal, and we eat that about once a week.

I have a small blog that doesn't get updated terribly regularly, but it has menus on it that we use (with links), in case you want to know more specifics on what we do with our giant crew. Ezekiel's Garden
          Amy
          ~wife and mother

Started primal a month before the end of my pregnancy with P who is now 1. Went from a size 14 down to a size 4 in less than a year. Now sitting at 20-21% body fat, a solid 130 pounds, and 5'9". Feeling better than ever before, and able to run around and chase my 5 little boys who range in age from 14 months up to 11.5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by camel View Post
            Substitutions:
            Instead of bread and pasta for filler substitute potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice
            Instead of processed quick foods make home made
            Instead if store bought yogurt, make your own (cheaper, healthier)
            Fruit instead of desserts, cookies.
            Fat is a cheap calorie source, consume healthy fats
            Bulk with veggies - stir frys, casseroles with tons of veggies baked in.
            Water and herbal teas (chilled makes a nice drink) instead of sugary sodas and juices.
            Eggs are awesome and cheap
            If you need more cheap protein look at preparing beans correctly to remove toxins

You will avoid a lot of crap just cutting out vegetable oils (except olive) and wheat and refined and processed foods.
            We already hit a lot of these marks. Just got a big family to feed!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your response....oddly enough, I thought I had it set to tell me immediately when people posted....and it never alerted me, so I didn' see any of the thread responses until NOW.

we are considering the 1/4 cow.
              A chest freezer is a very economical way of storing bulk meat. Our family of 2 Adults, 3 children go through 1.5 cows per year (delivered in installments).

Kids will not go primal right now. One barely eats as it is....his peanut butter has gone from the artificial stuff to the natural stuff, and that was a switch for him. I am in the process of hiding veggies in his food (pumpkin puree) and i know that yall shudder at oatmeal and beans, but he is eating bean and oat waffles...so I consider that a success right now, because he will retch at the thought of eating meat (I think its the texture) and veggies are a joke. (this is my 5 year old). And I know that y'all freak out over Shakeology, but he gets some veggie nutrition that way and allows him to take a regular bowel movement without straining. Small steps in his case.
              Fair enough. My kids go MAD for homemade jerky (meat chewing gum). And yeah, we let the porridge and ricies slide. It's better to lose the battle and win the war.

Regarding them not liking meat, our kids complain about meat every so often, and I think it's definitely the texture and being hard to chew. Slow cooking food to death makes for REALLY juicy and tender meat. You might find you have a different problem then (not enough meat!).

My daughter chooses to eat more healthy, opting for carrot sticks and apples, and can be taught to eat primal. The youngest is built like an ox and eats everything and anything, not as much with the veggies, but he is not adverse to it.

I am going to see how primal treats my husband and I...then we shall see about adding longevity to the program....this is all quite new to me so i am doing my research and biding my time.

Oh, and my chickens are not putting out as many eggs. Gotta go give them the "talk".
              Yeah, we supplement our chickens with eggs from a workmate.

Another cheapness thing is, it's much cheaper to buy whole fish than cuts of fish steaks. And yeah, for bulking out meals rice and potatoes are the best and most economical options. Just make sure they are served in high fat sauces (for satiety).
              Last edited by magicmerl; 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
              X