Theory of Obesity/Metabolic Syndrome and its treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Possibly one of the biggest forgotten factor is just love of food and treating it as entertainment. And the convenience factor. Even if fructose, wheat, seed oils and sugar were eliminated you would still have people becoming obese on almond meal and stevia pancakes, coffee with butter and "paleo" bread burgers if theses foods were just as readily available as today's convenient foods. I suppose that fits into the Food reward theory and that's not even mentioning emotional eating, which is another huge factor in of itself.
    Yeah, those are all valid points and I think fit into the Food Reward Theory. I don't know if people would become AS obese eating those foods if they were so convenient, but certainly it could occur. There are obvious cultural factors and attitudes towards food as well as individual psychological characteristics such as emotional eating and, IMO, addictive traits in the personality. Combined with properties that make food hyperpalatable and/or addictive, there ya go.

Comment

Yeah I am a little familiar with Johnson, but only in that I know he is studying fructose's effect on the diet and is somewhat in agreement with Lustig except for his emphasis on the uric acid factor as being primary. I definitely will look more into him. Actually I listened to an interview of his with Mercola earlier today.

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
      While you're reading/researching you should consider reading Dr Richard Johnson's book "The Fat Switch." I see Johnson's work as building upon Dr Lustig's. What Johnson now believes is that the terminology "metabolic syndrome" should actually be called "the fat storage mechanism."

From Lustig's Sugar The Bitter Truth you know fructose increases uric acid. What Johnson's lab believes (and it's submitted to peer review) is that uric acid's affect on mitochondria's ability to make ATP sets fat storage in motion. Certain foods cause more uric acid production then others. Fructose is one of those foods. Krill/shrimp being high purine foods also drives uric acid.

So what's going on? According to Johnson's theory animals are eating seasonal foods that set them up to store fat for coming lean months. For humans and other animals fructose is the main trigger. For humpback whales it's krill....but it's this intracellular uric acid that's responsible in all animals to trigger fat storage, and that includes fatty liver.

The problem for us humans, however, is that we are now eating fructose year round. In addition to that we eat wheat. As it turns out, wheat is a major source of "Fructans" in the diet. Just like there's polymers of glucose called glycogen, plants can produce polymers of fructose called fructan. In his book, The Fat Switch, Johnson devotes a chapter to wheat titled "The Pillsbury Doughboy Syndrome."

Here's an interview with Dr Johnson on Dr Mercoa talking about his research The Fat Switch Book | Weight Control Guide - Mercola.com

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        i have pcos, and because i grew up eating wheat, and because when i have wheat products now it causes some of my uglier pcos symptoms to rear up
        Welp there ya go then. Wheat certainly seems to cause many problems. With so many contributing factors to our current health problems and obesity, it's any wonder we're not FATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Dumetolisa
          Obesity is truly a common problem among Americans. It generally occur due to consuming junk foods and other sorts of extra fats generated stuffs. So you should always keep your diet healthy to become fit and fine.
          One thing no one is touching with a 10 foot pole is epigenetics, or, what your grandmother ate while carrying your parent is affecting you today. I grew fat on breast milk; my Dad was a 14 1/2 lb whopper at birth, but no diabetes in his family. I am built like his mother, an was always compared to her girth, yet our diets were not that similar. But both my dad and I were born during the privations of world wars. I'm sure that counts for something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumetolisa
            Obesity is truly a common problem among Americans. It generally occur due to consuming junk foods and other sorts of extra fats generated stuffs. So you should always keep your diet healthy to become fit and fine.
            If only we had been listening to this wisdom all these years...

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
              One thing no one is touching with a 10 foot pole is epigenetics, or, what your grandmother ate while carrying your parent is affecting you today. I grew fat on breast milk; my Dad was a 14 1/2 lb whopper at birth, but no diabetes in his family. I am built like his mother, an was always compared to her girth, yet our diets were not that similar. But both my dad and I were born during the privations of world wars. I'm sure that counts for something.
              Epigenetics is an important factor. I've heard it mentioned. But obviously as time goes on, it plays an increasingly important role. Pretty scary.

Comment

Processed carbs in general is the Devil lurking behind the obesity epidemy! They may come in the form of white sugar, HFCS, wheat products, or a bag of potato-chips ect and they will make you overeat for some unknown reason...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  Processed carbs in general is the Devil lurking behind the obesity epidemy! They may come in the form of white sugar, HFCS, wheat products, or a bag of potato-chips ect and they will make you overeat for some unknown reason...
                  I certainly agree these are huge factors. As far as why they make you overeat...

I read that gliadin in wheat binds to opiate receptors inducing increased hunger. Wheat in addition to other refined carbohydrates cause reactive hypoglycemic induced hunger. These foods have less fiber that results in decreased satiety.

Comment

I agree that processed carbs, wheat, epigenetics, cheapness of junk food as mentioned above are all factors.

Other factors are sedentary lifestyles, cheap mass entertainment, the dominance of the motor car and all of life's modern conveniences, which have decreased calories out. The muscles are an endocrine organ, and when they're underused, that contributes to a messed up metabolism.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

If you eat nothing but meat and vegetable -- your HDL will increase, your TRI will crash, and your fasting blood sugar will crash. By definition you will no longer have metabolic syndrome. Not complex.

Comment

Necromancer!

Comment

ahahahahaha
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                            If you eat nothing but meat and vegetable -- your HDL will increase, your TRI will crash, and your fasting blood sugar will crash. By definition you will no longer have metabolic syndrome. Not complex.
                            Now you've done it! We will now have to read the pseudo science filled diatribes from the angry psychopaths from the dark side. Not that there is anything wrong with that
                            Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

I would hope that I am pretty well-versed in metabolic syndrome, so here are my 2c

There does exist a pretty solid consensus on the role of the carbs and insulin theory, however I do not feel that this is the whole story....the reason for this is that there are no physiological reasons why the pathway JSW has peer-reviewed, given a very 6th grader treatment by Lustig, leads to ALL of the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Simply taking in carbs, glucose in its purest forms even minus fiber, should not cause the metabolic cascade of insulin resistance and cardiovascular sclerosis indicative of the disease. The human body is masterful at processing glucose, as it is the most energy dense, preferred fuel of every cell in the body. It yields 36 ATP per cycle of glycolysis, vs I believe 4 ATP for both beta-oxidation (lipid) and anaerobic creatine reactions (sprints). I am not convinced, as I do not believe the scientific community is, that these processes alone are the rote mechanisms of resistance.

I believe that these studies are a classic case of correlation yielding wishes of causation. Yes, we DO find all of these pathways at work (JSW's Lustig pathway) in those with the disease state, with the liver being taken as the epicenter for what ends up being pancreatic resistance, but this does not mean that the excess insulin/glucose theory LEADS to disease....in much the same way that high cholesterol is FOUND alongside patients with severe atherosclerotic and myocardial pathology, it is more and more proving to be exactly that; a ride-along, not a cause.

I believe, and counsel people as such, that it is in fact a "staged-mechanism" disease. First, a calorie-dense environment of BOTH high sucrose and fat must be present, which overwhelms mitochondrial function as well as the ability for the liver to synthesize fats normally. This leads to a micro-cirrhotic state of the liver, in which PUFA and its inflammatory cascade are allowed to run unchecked....this leads to damage to the vessel walls, the hallmark of metabolic syndrome at the vascular level, but NOT alone due to the glucose toxicity, rather a combination of an inflamed system (from the oxidative cascade being misregulated) now being damaged by something it can normally handle in a masterclass, glucose.

The calling card of the metabolic syndrome cardiovascular system is not, in heart surgeries I have seen with my own eyes, an excess of plaque build-up, as some of the CW would have people believe....the giveaway is just how NARROW their vessels are, due to the vessel basement membrane thickening and pericyte regulator loss over time....in short, it is the inflammation, not the thing actually clogging things up.

As far as causes, I blame it mostly on the hyper-palatability of so many foods that are extremely high in both sugar and fat, especially in regards to PUFA. I believe that even a diet very high in sugar, but low on these fats, would lead to slightly decreased insulin sensitivity by default, but not a disease state. I believe that a diet VERY high in concentrated sugars though, such as those found in sodas and some baby formula, can also overwhelm the system with sheer numbers....this accounts for what started all of Lustig's work as a pediatric endocrinologist: How do you get a 6 month old with metabolic syndrome? There is no PUFA, no candy, no soda....the answer is sucrose in outrageous numbers, found via baby formula cranked full of corn syrup.....in short, either one will get you to the disease state, but the adult inflammatory one I outlined is the shorter route.

As for how I go after it, that would take another novel, and I have laid it out before
                              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Working...
                              X