No announcement yet.

This is our thread...you all stay out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the "Tator" diet originally sprung up in another thread, back before it had it's own, I shared my qualms with the idea with Otzi and the few who were already jumping on board... and already felt the backlash for my dissent.

My issues were that it was essentially a crash diet.
    A temporary period of eating the same bland food repetitiously so that one might be bored and achieve a caloric deficit.
    This type of DIET has been in circulation in 1000 different guises since the 60s-70s (earlier?)... Grapefruit, Cabbage soup... etc.
    I'd argue, and did, that as a sheer caloric deficit diet the Cabbage Soup diet would be healthier... especially given organic vegetables/fruits and non CAFO meats.

I also had a problem with the initial (still?) calling of the potato... "magical"...
    It's not. It's a potato.
    It has 3gm of protein per 100gm...
    (Also, it's a vegetable... the body cannot utilize all of the protein... it can actually only utilize a fraction of it- half or less.)
    While some people like to claim that its a "complete protein", it's really only technically complete. Some of the amino acids are only present in smaller amounts... it's not really a good complete protein when consumed as the sole food substance.

Guess what else, there are quite a good number of vegetables that have about 3gm, even 4gm, of protein per 100gm (A whopping 6gm if you are a garlic lover, which is also all remaining carb and no fat.).
    And... well... they certainly won't make you fat eating them either.

Potatoes... 93cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 21gm ... protein 3gm
    Portabella Mushrooms...26cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 5gm ... protein 3gm
    Garlic... 149cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 33gm ... protein 6gm

Now... would it really hurt anything on the "Tater" diet to add garlic and mushrooms to those potatoes?
    No.
    Nor would simply following a strictly low cal, low/moderate protein (from varied sources so that it is actually complete), very low/near zero fat DIET plan that included many other vegetables.
    Because that is all that the "Eat MOAR Taters" plan really is... rehashed lo-cal/lo-fat that is "easy" (read: may depress the appetite) because of the absolute monotony of it.
    And I'm not saying that to be insulting. That's how those crash diets are supposed to work in order to get you to shed some pounds quickly.
    But most people gain it right back because they go back to their normal eating patterns after.

I don't personally subscribe to crash diet approaches because of the vast and well documented history of their inefficacy in respect actual long term results. What they most often produce is yoyo-ing actual worsening of weight/health issues due to the ultimately unsustainable nature of the diets.
    I think that this Taters only approach is exactly that, a crash diet approach. I think that is an unhealthy mindset.
    That is my opinion.

But I respect the rights of people who want to try and swallow yet another magical pill...
    So I didn't repeat any of that in the official "Eat MOAR Taters" thread.

I found that Otzi himself was agreeable to discussion on the topic...
    Others, not so much.

Grizz was fun to poke because I think he's pretty genuinely mad... in the most disturbing yet entertaining way possible.
    Poking at people desperate/obsessed enough to eat only plain potatoes for 2weeks to lose 5or6 lbs... nah.
    I actually feel really bad for those folks. *shrug*
    Last edited by cori93437; 11-04-2012, 11:19 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I think what also happens on some of these big threads is they become support groups for people who want to join in with a bunch of others in a project. They want support and camaraderie, not arguments. You should just let them have their support group. It's not like whatever they are into is going to cause the end of the world.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Can I join? Please? If you want, I can TRY to be ruthlessly sarcastic & pedantic... but it will be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I think what also happens on some of these big threads is they become support groups for people who want to join in with a bunch of others in a project. They want support and camaraderie, not arguments. You should just let them have their support group. It's not like whatever they are into is going to cause the end of the world.
          It would be great if threads like these could have two components: the discussion thread, and the support thread. Oh, no! More threads!

Comment

re; potatoes

being a dick to get a point across is going to make people treat you like a dick, no two ways about it. like the dude who made a whole website to debunk the Potato Diet, only he wasn't even going to do the diet as is, he was going to add all kinds of protein to Preserve His Muscles

that's ridiculous, and i hope that my response and the responses of others showed how ridiculous we found it

do i care if people want to fast on potatoes for a week? no. it works for the majority of them, they seem happy with it, and i honestly don't care what they do with their bodies

i have my own body to worry about
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Ok guys - come on over and join the Kiwi thread !!! We love you all, and yes we have had a troll or two, but we are coping fine. After falling in love with all us wonderful Kiwis you could pop over to kiwi land for a good old fashioned caveman party. We can put potatoes in the tinfoil on the fire, we can go hunting and add a wild venison to the mix, we could even find a hobbit to entertain us whilst drinking illegal southern alp moonshine !!!!!
              Any disputes will be settled with an arm wrestle, no constructive critism allowd - just a good old fashioned arm wrestle. Book your tickets NOW
              love to you all
              Gwamma
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

One of my favourite professors used to say: "No one gets to heaven alone" :-)
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                  One of my favourite professors used to say: "No one gets to heaven alone" :-)
                  My version would be I'm going to hell and I'm taking all you $%&* with me
                  You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
                    I think people get protective of their threads....there's a big difference between:

"This is interesting in theory, but have you considered that it might not be a good idea due to x, y, and z."

and

"You guys are all morons for trying something so obviously stupid and pointless."

I think people should definitely jump in on threads and offer differing opinions, especially if they can back it up with evidence, but even if they can't. There's just a way to go about it that doesn't get people's panties in a bunch.
                    ^^ This.
                    There is a nice way to say stuff, and a rude way to say stuff. Sometimes just reading what you have entered BEFORE you post it, and consider how it's going to sound, helps.

That said, you sort of need a thick hide to be able to tolerate most forums!

Comment

The OP is autistic/aspergers and just wants to vent.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                        Every forum I've been a part of has this kind of thing going on. It's annoying, but there will always be folks out there who think their way is the ONLY way.
                        You mean to tell me I'm not God and I DON'T dictate how the universe works or the way people think?!?

"The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

No, I am.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

NO! It's me! me! me!

Comment

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Too many people confuse forums with real life.
                                If you're one of those people, then maybe it's time to go out there and get yourself a life.

Comment

Working...
                                X