Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post
    Do you really just want a forum of people who don't question anything?

I'd much rather have a forum where people question EVERYTHING. It keeps on our toes and our minds open. Yes, it's annoying at times, but that's okay. It's better than only being around information that feeds my current bias, which could lead me to missing valuable information.

I love paleo, but I don't think it's perfect. Also, I won't let my love of the paleo concept to block out new information that could tweak or alter my diet and lifestyle.
    It's not about the fact that he "questions" paleo/primal choices, it's that he doesn't bother to read the material that's already out there on the topic and "questions" things that have been burned into the ground thousands of times before.

Mark has done MULTIPLE articles on why to avoid legumes, and it sounds like Barefoot Gentile hasn't bothered to read a SINGLE one of them. It's not his willingness to "question" that is at issue here, it's his lack of effort that does it for me.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by sarasue624 View Post
      See meeshar's FDA link, above.
      Ever since when do we go to FDA for information on nutrition?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet?

Maybe because they are just plain boring. Try this experiment: cook some kidney beans w/o seasoning and taste them, now cook a ribeye w/o seasoning which is better?
        Better for you or for me?

Comment

Follow the plan or not. Read the reasons or not. BFD.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm sorry guys.
            Seriously, Paleobird, sbhikes, ChocoTaco, pk...
            All that you have to say can be very interesting, but it's totally irrevelant now, that my favorite MDA poster is officially Barefoot
            Gentile.
            I think his vegetarian-with the half a week dead animal flesh until it disgusts you and some turkey sandwich because it's less nasty than red meat which is gross because it's all red and bloody and stuff and natural-diet is the best take ever made on the Paleo way of eating.

I'm sold.
            Nice try, though.
            Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
            (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Some people still react to the trace toxins, even when beans are soaked.
              Some people don't.
              Red kidney beans are more likely to produce an allergic reaction/oversensitivity issue than most other beans. It's more a safety measure than anything else: if you're sensitive to legumes, then you're probably VERY sensitive to red kidney beans.

Test: Go bean-free. Aim to eat just as much carbs (through tubers, for example), fats and protein, do the same exercise... Just switch beans out. I did it with all legumes and found myself healthier. Now I just have the odd side-dish of green legume (peas, snowpeas, runner-beans) or hummus, rather than ever make beans the focus or bulk of a meal.
              Some people, however, will be just fine.

The secondary issue is the carbs: as they're essentially sugar, anyone doing high-intensity, low-frequency exercise (weight-lifting, 40 min, 2x a week) as their main energy-burner may have issues with eating beans for protein apart from pre-workout. Anyone aiming to lose weight may find issue with them. Someone doing medium-intensity, medium-frequency (jogging, 35-45min, 3-4x week) will likely burn the sugars off at a normal pace and anyone doing low-intensity, high-frequency (walking 1.5h/day, "messing" with light weights an hour every other day...) will be OK snacking on high-carb foods daily, but probably not able to burn through them as quickly as the med-int, med-frq.
              Also, as you primarily eat them over the Autumn and Winter months, you may be mimicking what some ancient HGs (and many modern HGs!) do: eat more carbs if you live somewhere Winter will be cold, as you may be burning more kcal through exposure to the elements and need a REGULAR supply of energy (high-carb starchy or proteiney veg releases sugars VERY slowly, giving even energy for heat-regulation). It also ties in with eating seasonally anywhere outside the equatorial band, where starchy veg and legumes become abundant over colder months (due to either bearing fruit then or being the only veg left well-preserved!). So some people may find it easy to eat VERY high carb in Autumn and Winter, but, on the same diet, gain weight over Summer.

Whatever works for you. Paleo isn't about setting limits or boundaries. It isn't about "re-creating" what we assume Paleolithic people ate. It's about rejecting processed foods for wholesome, natural ones. It's about questioning (not "outright denying", mind, but merely QUESTIONING) Common Wisdom and one-size-fits-all dietary advice. It's about trial and error and optimizing your diet to suit YOUR body and its needs.
              --
              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                I'm sorry guys.
                All that you have to say can be very interesting, but it's totally irrevelant now, that my favorite MDA poster is officially Barefoot
                Gentile.
                I think his vegetarian-with the half a week dead animal flesh until it disgusts you and some turkey sandwich because it's less nasty than red meat which is gross because it's all red and bloody and stuff and natural-diet is the best take ever made on the Paleo way of eating.

I'm sold.
                Nice try, though.
                Kudos to you! I imagine sarcasm in a second language takes some skill and I'm truly impressed. (Smart and a hunk. Good thing I'm old enough to be your grandmother. )
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                  YOUR STILL HERE?

Have you read the primal blueprint? Mark lays out WHY you shouldn't eat legumes...but you STILL ask these questions.
                  I own and read the book, and he lays it out in his own opinion, not in facts. Basically the whole book is written that way, lots of grey in the book.
                  Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

So kidney beans have less toxins than a pigs ring hole, interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
                      So kidney beans have less toxins than a pigs ring hole, interesting.
                      Huh?

Comment

I'm sorry guys.
                        Gentile.

I'm sold.
                        Nice try, though.

We wd. be lacking without your input Daydreamer. Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                          Better for you or for me?
                          Better for both of us you can take the beans and I'll take the flesh!!!!!!
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Exactly. Every study on legumes (other than soybeans) shows great things. Maybe it has toxins, but maybe they don't really matter in the context of eating whole foods. It's possible that all the correlations are simply false, but I doubt it.

Obviously, if you are sensitive to beans, then that is different. (Just like with every food.)

Comment

I don't eat a lot of beans because my husband doesn't care for 'em due to the flatulence issue. But I've noticed since changing to a Primal diet, beans don't really have a gassy effect any longer. Again, I don't eat them often enough to really worry about toxins, etc. If I'm ever in a place where I'm offered real Mexican food, you can bet I'm sayin' "hell yeah!". there's no Mexican food in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                              X