The Healthy Carbs Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Healthy Carbs Thread

Hey Guys, So im embarking on a leangains recomp.
    I love the whole paleo/primal eating, but you cant deny the role of carbs in gaining muscle.

What foods do you get your carbs from?

So Far:
    -Potatoes
    -Sweet Potatoes
    -White Rice
    -Vegetables

Moderation:
    -Fruit
    -Milk
    -Legumes
    Last edited by Jester123; 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes and white rice.

Comment

Where I get it from Sweet potatoes, white rice, milk, fruit, vegetables, sometimes a littlesugar
      well then

Comment

Starchier vegetables like leeks and squashes.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Potatoes, pasta, rice, legumes.

Comment

Pasta?!?
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester123 View Post
              What foods do you get your carbs from?[/B]
              After workouts, I either have some fruit, (after morning workouts), or a sweet potato and veggies with dinner after an evening workout.
              For meals that aren't around workouts, or rest days, I have vegetables as a carb source.

Comment

Originally posted by jester123 View Post
                but you cant deny the role of carbs in gaining muscle.
                yes, yes i can!

Comment

Originally posted by BeatlesFan View Post
                  yes, yes i can!
                  Links?

Comment

Originally posted by Jester123 View Post
                    Links?
                    Fat adapted > clinging to carbs with bro science

/thread.

Comment

Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, squash, root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips...), other vegetables, white rice, fruit, and a small amount of honey and maple syrup.

Also, being fat adapted and eating moderate amounts of carbs (or carb cycling) are not mutually exclusive. Fat adaptation is not necessarily being in ketosis 24/7. I like being metabolically flexible.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Bananas, sweet potato, white and yukon potatoes and pumpkin are the primal carb sources that I can tell my body likes. I actually prefer eating these vs apples, berries, etc. I was trying apples but I think the fructose was too high for my body to handle.

Comment

Besides the stuff already mentioned by others, I've been trying out some tubers from Central/South America and the Carribbean when I can find them. Stuff like yuca, jicama, taro, and name. If I don't *force* myself to try new stuff, it's too easy to eat rice and potatoes everyday, because I really like them and they're pretty easy to cook.

Also, I've been doing some baking lately, mainly using white rice, sorghum, and tapioca flours to make muffins with all the apples I got from the farmer's market.

I'm thinking about trying to make some kind of fried plantain in coconut oil sometime soon.

Comment

I use a little honey and quinoa as well.
                            "Go For Broke"
                            Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                            Small Kine-168/9%
                            Now- 200/8%
                            Goal- 210/6%

Comment

If you can find purple sweet potatoes they are really a lot different than any other kind of sweet potato. Kind of a purple lightly sweet starchy like a russet potato and sort of dry.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X