Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you had any benefits from removing dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy was one of the first things I eliminated when I went primal. Whenever I reintroduced it in any form I have either gotten, really bloated, like in the upper stomach, a whole lotta gas, breakouts and cramps. So the benefits are having none of them.

Comment

I did it once as a whole 30 challenge. Didn't notice anything so I use quite a bit of it now. No effect either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
        Ok, I made it the first day. How long does it take to notice the benefits if you do indeed have a minor intolerance to dairy? I'm guessing atleast a week or so. And is there any other alternatives to yogurt besides coconut yogurt?
        I used to eat and drink a lot of dairy and always had congestion and and skin problems. I didn't know when I cut dairy out that it would all clear up. I guess I really noticed the difference was when I ate dairy again and not only got congested and pimples but also had other skin issues that came up because of the dairy.

I can tolerate goat's milk and cheeses and they taste sooo good too!
        Chris Kresser recently did a post about the skin/gut link that made a ton of sense to me. You should look it up if you have a chance

Comment

Should have also mentioned that I get acne (on my back/shoulders) almost the day after I consume any dairy. Sucks...

Comment

I removed it for 30 days as a Whole30 challenge but didn't notice anything either way. Dairy is neutral for me so I use quite a bit of it, minus milk. Cheese (real cheese), cream in various forms, yogurt, it's a nice supplement to my primal life.

Comment

I'm mildly milk/lactose intolerant. If I drink milk or eat yoghurt I get general stomach problems. When I was a teenager I had a permantly runny nose which I believe is because of dairy. If I drink lots of milk I get a runny nose all day. I seem to be able to handle cheese fine though.
              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

No difference.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Cutting out dairy about 6 years ago made my acne disappear. Any time I reintroduced dairy, even raw grassfed, it came right back.

Comment

I've been drinking heavy cream in my morning coffee and I've noticed I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Might just be a coincidence and I'm just coming down with a cold or it could be the dairy. I'm going to have to cut back as I have coffee almost everyday. I can change what I drink which will cut the dairy out and see if I notice any changes. Also, the cream is doing a number on my bowels. I can't stay out of the bathroom for at least two hours after I've finished my coffee.................Yogurt and cheese is minimal so it doesn't bother me but ice cream will still stop me up, give me gas and make me bloated so not a lot of ice cream eating.
                    Health is Wealth!

Comment

. And is there any other alternatives to yogurt besides coconut yogurt?
                      Why do you need a substitute??
                      If it is for the probiotics (the only possible benefit to yoghurt and not much evidence to support that), then there are lots - sauerkraut is the first that comes to mind, kombucha, kimchi, kefir, ratfiisk, pickles and believe it or not some dark chocolat, some ciders etc etc

Comment

I lasted 9 days dairy-free before I went back to eating (organic, whole milk) yogurt. Dairy is a binge trigger food for me. I tell myself "this stuff is designed to make cows grow massively fast. I can eat it, but only if I take its growth-stimulating powers seriously." This means only a cup of yogurt once in awhile...

But see, if I keep yogurt on hand, I always end up eating it instead of other things. "Hmm...I could make a salad...or I could eat this yogurt that's delicious and creamy and needs no preparation." Throw in a banana and some nut butter and suddenly I've eaten 3 bananas and a large container of yogurt and I have to go do my "oh no I ate too much" yoga sequence...

The hormones in dairy are really scary to me... I think eating too much dairy messes with my menstrual cycle... and like I said, if there is yogurt (the only dairy I like) in the house, I will definitely eat too much of it. So... I dunno. I've tried rationalizing it, "oh it's a probiotic, it's already digested and yay gut bacteria" but... I'm about to cut it out again. My boyfriend hasn't read much about primal but he has really good caveman instincts and he doesn't eat any dairy, but he loves celery lol...if only I had his taste buds!!

I'm a singer/musician so I really notice the foods I eat when I sing. Dairy creates a definite mental fog...even though it doesn't make me mucusy it makes me feel like I can't hear my own voice very well, like I'm separated from the outside world by a wall of milkfat or something...

There are a lot of reasons to stay away from dairy and very few reasons to eat it, the only one I can think of is because it tastes good...and that's obviously not a good reason to eat something or else I'd be eating milk chocolate and french fries all the time...and those days are definitely over. It's time for me to leave dairy behind...or at least keep it to a rare indulgence...I doubt I will ever stop making my garlic-parmesan chicken wings...mmmm.. but it shouldn't be a main source of calories in your diet. I think I fucked my hormones up by binging on yogurt. But if primal eating has taught me anything it's that whatever damage I have done to my body, the path to healing it is always the same: by eating better and more consciously, and doing more yoga/lifting.

Comment

Dairy for the primal group is like wheat for the general public. It tastes good, is a part of our culture, and therefore a refusal to give it up. In light of all the issues with dairy (I don't think anyone would dispute it's high to very high estrogen sulfate content...), why do people continue to consume it?

Saying that you do fine on dairy is a bizarre concept. Most people with gluten issues feel fine (it's a sliding scale of course) and the real danger is that it causes symptom-less issues. So why would dairy be any different?

Just my thoughts...

Comment

I've noticed a lack of congestion with avoiding dairy. If I even have a small amount, within 30 minutes, my nose is all plugged up.

I've tried goat's milk yogurt, raw goat's milk cheese...but I still get congested. Whey protein powder, same thing. Not really sure why, as I thought whey was devoid of casein and lactose. Butter, not so much, but I still avoid it mostly.
                            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by twa2w View Post
                              Why do you need a substitute??
                              If it is for the probiotics (the only possible benefit to yoghurt and not much evidence to support that), then there are lots - sauerkraut is the first that comes to mind, kombucha, kimchi, kefir, ratfiisk, pickles and believe it or not some dark chocolat, some ciders etc etc
                              Taste wise. I just love eating yogurt. I read there's nut based yogurts but I can't find any locally.

Comment

Ok, I made it the first day. How long does it take to notice the benefits if you do indeed have a minor intolerance to dairy? I'm guessing atleast a week or so. And is there any other alternatives to yogurt besides coconut yogurt?
                                Goats milk yogurt is good. I get it at Whole Foods. They also have a kefir... good stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X