Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you had any benefits from removing dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have far less congestion avoiding cow's protein in dairy. I am fine with goat's and sheep's cheese and yoghurt, and cow's butter and cream. I seem to tolerate buffalo mozzarella well too, which is good, as it's damned tasty.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I've never been a big dairy person. I tolerate it fine but cutting it out completely doesn't seem to make a difference in how I feel.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Hmm. I've been contemplating cutting out dairy to see if it helps with weight loss...but I see that it's helped someone with Meneires' which I have, and it's been worsening of late. Worth a try just for that!

Comment

For all of those who quit dairy, how did you make up for the loss of fat in your diet?
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Avocados, coconut oil, eggs, meat.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Ok, I made it the first day. How long does it take to notice the benefits if you do indeed have a minor intolerance to dairy? I'm guessing atleast a week or so. And is there any other alternatives to yogurt besides coconut yogurt?

Comment

It is the best thing I have ever done.

I never thought I was allergic to dairy even though my mother is.

anyway, I feel like a different person. Dairy was definitely my Kryptonite!
                2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

I noticed improvement in 4 days, started primal on Sunday, improvement noticed on Thursday.
                  Later I remembered that vacations always improved my lungs and I guess that is because I Don't east dairy then,

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                    For all of those who quit dairy, how did you make up for the loss of fat in your diet?
                    Um, I don't worry about it? I'm not super hung up on my macro percentages. I use fats in cooking and eat some fattier cuts of meat, and I like coconut milk and avocado, plus eggs are a big thing for me.

I still use butter and ghee and put whey protein isolate in my smoothies, and that doesn't seem to be an issue. If I start consuming a lot of other dairy, I get bloaty and stuffy. I'm trying to mostly cut it out for this month, although I have consumed small quantities of good cheese and seem to be okay with that. But last month I fell into a festival of whole-milk lattes, greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, and so on, and that was not a good idea at all.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

My father always told me growing up that adults should not drink milk because milk is for babies. So I gave up drinking milk after childhood. But I still would eat cheese and other cultured milk products and ice cream. Nowadays I mostly just eat meat and veggies, use olive oil for cooking, enjoy avocados and nuts, a little butter now and then. I don't notice much difference since my consumption of dairy wasn't high before, but I have to say that I have been feeling really good lately in an unspecified way.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I noticed my post-nasal drip issue disappeared when I stopped drinking milk. I still eat cheese, yogurt, kefir, and heavy cream, but those don't seem to bother me. Once in awhile I'll get a latte with whole milk, and I'll feel congested and gross for a few days. But, sometimes it's worth it!

Comment

I haven't had any milk in about 3 weeks (raw, pastured/organic, milk) because I had to leave town and had no access to proper milk.
                          Unfortunately I'll likely have to leave town again in a couple of weeks and will wait until I'm home to resume my milk pick up.

No change at all (skin, sinuses, etc that people normally attribute to milk)... except that I miss my milk raw immensely.
                          And I lost less weight than normal for me...
                          Though I did still lose a couple of pounds over the three weeks I was on vacation which is out of the norm for most people I think.

I still consumed some other conventional dairy while away (was all I had access to, very small town)... butter, small amounts of cheese, and such.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I am one week dairy free as of tomorrow. No more gas, my asthma symptoms/mucous in chest have improved tenfold. I sleep better, barely have any post-nasal drip whatsoever. I'll probably still have dairy on special occasions, but am doing well enough wihtout it, that I don't miss it. I still use butter(ain't giving that up). I can actually go up steps and not feel as if I am going to die now due to not being able to breathe. I like dairy, but I love being able to breathe.
                            Georgette

Comment

Stopping dairy for me helped to stop my allergies, stop my psoriasis, and dry skin.

I liked yogurt and cheese, but was not an issue to give it up.

It's for your health, OP. You shouldn't have any issues stopping anything that might improve your health.

Comment

I've had benefits from removing pasteurized dairy for sure. I seem to have issues with it that I only discovered since going primal. On the other hand, I tolerate RAW dairy extremely well.

That being said, the only raw dairy I eat is a bit of raw cheese from time to time.
                                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                                X