Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foods that inevitably make you to overeat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    Food doesn't make me overeat. I make me overeat.
    Okay, that is true. But for many of us, any foods that cause cravings will just cause us to cave into our feelings. This kind of mindset is admirable, but for the most part, if you avoid said foods the majority of the time, you don't even have to go through the motions of fighting those cravings for more.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Anything with MSG in it makes me overeat. It's nuts, really. I can have a portion of meat, say sausage, with MSG in it, and I'd always go back for seconds. This is not the case now, my appetite seems much more controlled and regular since I started avoiding it like the plague.
      The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Comment

Before Primal: French or sourdough bread and cheese.

Since Primal: Cheese.

So, I either give myself cheese days, where that's mostly what I eat for the day, or I buy small quantities like 1/4 to 1/3 pound. I also don't eat many everyday cheeses which makes it expensive, so that keeps my consumption in check. I do cook with mozzarella, which is pretty commonplace, but mostly I eat goat/sheep/artisanal cheeses.

Drinking too much alcohol can make me binge on just about anything, but I finally have a built in primal switch, so what I'm bingeing on is not cookies, wheat products, etc. Which is kind of cool, because in my "hurricane stash," I have pasta and beans, but even hammered I don't go near them.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Pretty much anything. I find I have to portion my food and hide the rest away before I start eating - I don't seem to have a "full" switch.
          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
          MFP Food Diary:
          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Peanut butter and chocolate. So not primal but once in awhile is not terribly bad given how healthy I am in other aspects. Peanut butter is a demon for me. That salty sugary fatness destroys my self-control so I need to portion it out else I find myself standing in front of an empty jar with a spoon and a empty glass of milk, breathing heavily with a dazed expression on my face.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

So, it seems like nuts, nut butters (thanks god I never tasted any of the latter hehe) and fruit are like the tendency...

I guess our biological systems didn't have the time to protect themselves against sugary floods yet... In the case of fruit it's not a disaster, but in the case of candy and other junky-drugs, it is.

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Okay, that is true. But for many of us, any foods that cause cravings will just cause us to cave into our feelings. This kind of mindset is admirable, but for the most part, if you avoid said foods the majority of the time, you don't even have to go through the motions of fighting those cravings for more.
              Yes, yes, yes.
              Ancas Largas (or "Wide Hips") | visual primal diaries (in portuguese)

Comment

I know people love IF, and I used to do IF.... andit really did not do much for me. I actually see a small benefit from having a substantial breakfast, light but substantial lunch and a substantial dinner. When I was IFing, I did breakfast then dinner and would end up half the time raiding the pantry for "healthy snack"like nuts etc. With three meals a day, I stay on track much better.

I tend to overeat over time. I overeat chocolate, but for the first say, month it is allowed, I stick to a nice square every day or two, then inevitably sooner or later, eating the whole damn thing. Same with ice cream, so these two items are now banished from the house (I can have them if I go out and really want them).

I might overeat fruit but don't consider it problematic. I'm not super concerned over eating a pint of really great berries or half of a watermelon. When I did Whole 30, I lost weight and was eating a ton of fruit, even things like dates.

I'd say my reasons for overeating healthy primal stuff (nuts and fruits) is either driven by hunger OR the fruit is just in season and awesome. As fall has set in, I eat fewer fruits because they aren't that great. I know I still can't handle chocolate or ice cream.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I'd lie if I said I'm not relieved to see that I'm not a unique case, a blasphemous glutton! hehehehehe

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                  I know I still can't handle chocolate or ice cream.
                  Oh, and have you tried with real dark chocolate?
                  Chocolate is like crack to me (no joke!)... unless it has a considerable amount of cocoa mass in it (70% or above).
                  Last edited by La Carnera; 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

For me it is peanut butter. "grazing" or frequent meals also do not work at all for me as I will definitely overeat. IF all the way baby!

Comment

Oh, and have you tried with real dark chocolate?
                      Of course....even 90% and up. And then I just get pissed because I like Milk Chocolate so much more anyway. I'm much happier just splurging on milk chocolate on rare occasion.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

For me it is snacking after supper. Anything. I crave something crunchy and salty. The last few weeks I have given in and bought organic corn chips. Stuck them in the microwave with cheese. Last night it popcorn. I have gained 5 lbs. Yes I know grains are bad. So today I start again. Does anyone else have that horrible must snack after dinner craving??
                        You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                          Of course....even 90% and up. And then I just get pissed because I like Milk Chocolate so much more anyway. I'm much happier just splurging on milk chocolate on rare occasion.
                          That's so funny how we all differ so much! If I eat more than three squares of dark chocolate, a terrible headache is promised, so I have no trouble in stopping. With milk chocolate, well... it goes on and on and on forever. :P

Valmason, maybe you aren't truly satisfied from your dinners or you are too tired and you need to sleep right after it... From some past personal experiences, I'd conclude that night cravings have everything to do with tiredness and the real hidden craving is the bed.

Comment

Cashews... if they are in the house I just can't leave them alone. So I just can't buy them. I am in a good place as far as control is right now, but I just know if I have desserts or candy in the house I would eventually fall off the wagon too. It seems to start a weird thing in me after dinner, where I have a sweet, then need a savory to balance it......followed by another sweet.....and it goes on.
                            Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                            Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                            Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Nuts, nut butter, dark chocolate. Had a pint of Haagen Daz yesterday, been feeling hungover-like from too much sugar. Yuck!

Comment

Valmason, maybe you aren't truly satisfied from your dinners or you are too tired and you need to sleep right after it... From some past personal experiences, I'd conclude that night cravings have everything to do with tiredness and the real hidden craving is the bed.
                                Wow...I never thought of it being due to tiredness. I have always been like this regardless of what I eat for supper but I am going to start really pushing more fats in my supper. Maybe that will help? Thanks for the insight. I will start paying more attention and experimenting.
                                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                                height 5'3
                                SW 215 lbs
                                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                                LW 172 lbs
                                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X