Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter outdoors and a few extra pounds...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter outdoors and a few extra pounds...

I am in the process of losing weight, and am at a bmi of 124.6. (Oops, 24.6)I figure I would like to lose about 15 more pounds, eventually. The question is, should I do it this winter?

I love being outside. When the snow is on the ground I snowshoe or xc ski for hours. This winter, as I am more mobile since going Primal, I would like to spend more time outdoors. I may even start winter camping.

My gray tabby, Lilac (rest in peace) used to scarf down the food in fall and got a nice tummy by December. She was an avid outdoors-cat. In the spring she would lose weight and get down to bikini size by May.

Do you think the extra fat on me is a valuable asset in the winter? Or should I shed it and be able to ski even faster?
    Last edited by Shalimar; 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM.

Shed it !!!!

Comment

I don't think having a few extra pounds in winter is a bad thing, it'll help insulate you against the cold. By the way, your weight is 124.6, not your BMI. At a BMI of 124.6, you'd be more than morbidly obese
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

The natural way of things is to get fat in summer, fattest in the fall. Lose weight all winter, leanest in the spring. Look at the moose, deer, bear, racoons, opossums, squirrels, etc... they all do this. It's the natural way and the way I like to live. I pig out on seasonal fruits all summer, then switch to more meat and fish based diet with very few summer fruits in winter. Winter is time for bacon, shellfish, liver, steaks, fish, mushrooms, nuts, and fat in general. Let the cold ramp your metabolism, but starve yourself of fructose, sucrose, and glucose...You'll get plenty of chances to eat that stuff next summer.

Your cat may have done it differently, but I'll bet the bobcat hunting mice by the woodpile got pretty skinny in winter!

Comment

I don't know how tall you are, but I noticed your age in your signature. If its not too presumptuous of me to say, I think for a woman of average height, your weight is perfectly fine at your age. It might look better on you than the very thin, gaunt look sone women get as they lose fat, and it shows around their faces. Also, skiing and outdoor activity is very active and requires a lot of energy, if you maintain an artificially low weight and your body is the type that is not naturally lean, you might find yourself tired and lacking the energy that will allow you to do what you enjoy. I hope I have not offended.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

At a BMI of 124.6, you'd be more than morbidly obese

Ha ha! Thanks, Damiana, I didn't notice that I added a 1!
            Last edited by Shalimar; 11-03-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Damiana, no offense taken. Although I am happy I have lost 28 pounds, and feel good about myself, I am still too thick in the waist to really feel healthy. The facial gauntness remains to be seen...haven't lost weight there yet, thank goodness. So whether now or later, the weight must leave. I wonder about energy too. During the last few winters I was successful at SWF(skiing while fat) but often wondered how much further and longer I could go without the extra baggage. I see it could work the other way around, say if I was underweight.

BeatlesFan, I will remember 'shed it' as a motto! I'd like to look good in spandex Nordic-wear, and fly down the trails.

Otzi, it is true the wild ones(and certainly frozen 5,000 year old humans) go through those fattening and starving phases. Perhaps the natural thing to do is to eat as usual and see if I naturally lose in the spring. We are still skiing in March and sometimes April after all. And there's always hiking, or the gym. I have more time in winter to exercise than in summer. I have little fructose and carbs in my diet right now.

I often prepare for the worst in my mind, and that lead me to thinking. If I was trapped say with a sprained ankle, in the snow for hours, would it help my survival to be fatter? I'd have to do more than be fat of course. When I go out into the woods I carry headlamp, cellphone, space blanket, extra socks and vest, food and means to make a fire.

Also, this should be an opportunity for me to increase muscle. As muscle weighs more, I will need to continue measuring and see how that changes.

I think I will use all three member's advice! I'll lose another five pounds by snowfall, with the help of Moar potatoes or Moar IF, then chill out, ski, and see what happens in the spring.

Thanks for helping me think this out!

Comment

Another thought; I've seen my friend's cold tolerances change with age and weight. I run hotter now after menopause. A friend in her late forties is seeing the same thing.
                When you xc ski, you have to dress carefully, to avoid sweating, even on quite cold days, because you get heated up, soak the cotton tee if you are foolish enough to wear cotton, and then are at risk for hypothermia. It's one of the joys of xc skiing, that feeling of wonderful warmth as you are gliding through snowy woods. It's an incentive to stay moving at a consistent pace.
                Another friend, in her early sixties, who always ran warm, is now feeling cooler since she lost weight. She was a nice weight before, and is now a bit skinny. She has to wear a little bit extra when we going skiing.

Comment

I wouldn't think of "engineering" my weight seasonally on purpose--just keep doing what is healthy. However, I did notice as fall and cooler weather came on, I felt I needed to pull back on the intensity of my workouts (plus work cut down on my walking time), and couldn't get enough of the butternut squash... so I put on a few pounds, but I think once the transition to winter happens, I'll be up for more intensity and the weight will likely come off. I really "feel" the transition to winter, and when I didn't take care of myself so well, would usually get sick this time of year. So I think if you feel you're depriving yourself, don't, but don't carb out just because you want to add a layer of fat!

Funny about the cat--ours definitely gets rounder in the winter, but I think it's the winter fur--so much thicker, and all over the floor come Spring!

Comment

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to continue losing even in the winter. I actually find that I lose weight easier in the winter. For some reason I feel more motivated to exercise and have more energy in the winter months. Over the last several years I have had a pattern of gaining in the summer and then losing in the winter. I have a feeling that is probably backwards from most people, but point is, just continue doing what you're doing and if you continue losing in the winter, then awesome for you!

Comment

Evolutionarily....gain weight when food is plentiful (summer-fall seems good). Shed it/use you reserves when food is less available (winter seems perfect).

Comment

You know one of the biggest problems with 'exercise more--lose weight' thinking is that exercising make you hungry! Same goes for being cold. You can definitely change that just by being aware of it.

I fell into that trap for years, as has half of the dieting/exercising public, but after several years of purposely not giving into hunger caused by cold and exercise, I'm finally at a weight I can live with.

Getting outside in winter in a cold place has exceptional health benefits! After a day in the cold, come home to a pot of bone broth or some smoked salmon--don't go for the ice cream or Bailey's!

Here's another weird tip: The palms of your hands (face and soles of your feet, too) contain a labyrinth of blood vessels called AVAs (arteriovenous anastomoses) that are exclusively used for temperature management. They don't supply nutrition to the skin, and they have highly variable blood flow, ranging from negligible in cold weather to as much as 60 percent of total cardiac output during hot weather or exercise.

AVAs can be pressed into use by exposing the face and hands to as cold as you can tolerate. I like to grab handfuls of snow as I walk in the woods. When the body senses cold, it automatically ramps up the metabolism via action known as uncoupling proteins (or UCP, specifically UCP-1). Now, this will not melt fat like the potato diet, but it all adds up to your overall well-being and metabolism. Can you tell I love the cold?

Comment

Otzi, I confess I have a piece of cake...almost every month! That's my only sweet, and the only sweet I want. I can over-eat primally just fine! Part of my journey is learning portion control, and I think I am getting it. I love smoked salmon, and we even have several what do you call them, salmon smoking companies, in the area. Also plenty of nice grass fed bones.

I frequently ski bare-handed because I get so hot. I will eat snow too, which feels deliciously cold going down. And when I really need to, I face-plant in a nice cold snow drift. Just for fun, everything I do is planned. Really.

The potato diet is totally awesome. I read the whole thread and use it when I want to lose a few pounds but can't afford to be grumpy at work.

Comment

MarissaLinnea, you have found another one backwards like yourself! I do the same thing- gain in the summer, lose in the winter. It's because I work and travel for business so much in the summer. I am more sedentary also because I can't stand the heat. In the fall I begin to come alive again. I do not like temps above 75. And I have the entire winter off work, after Christmas. Thank you for your advice!

Tom B-D, I am not thinking of engineering. I am not disciplined enough for that! Plus in the fall, my activity level rises. There's wood to split, the garden to put to sleep, the compost heap to turn, hikes in the nice fresh autumn air. One thing I like about primal too is, never feeling hungry, unless I do IF. I can do that; it's simple. IF is the only time i ever deprive myself. I can do that for 24 hours! Also I can't remember the last time I was sick. I hope you stay nice and healthy this winter!

Comment

Working...
                            X