Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USDA says butter and cream are "empty calories". Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nelle View Post
    haha, you guys are awesome. The USDA is still pushing a low-fat or fat-free diet except they do encourage a limited amount of olive & canola oil. (side question RE: canola oil-- after learning about how processed it is, I don't eat it anymore. Does anyone have a credible source I can post in my class on why it's not as good as the good ol' gubment says?) It's definitely been an interesting experience. For the assignments, I hold my nose and tell the teacher what she wants to hear but on our discussion forum (it's an online class) I have mentioned a few times my true opinions on fat, grains, and other food.
    The Oiling of America - Weston A Price Foundation

The Great Con-ola - Weston A Price Foundation
    Last edited by healthy11; 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      I'm not sure if that's the most coherent thing I've ever posted, but I gave it a shot.
      Actually that was very good and I hadn't thought of it like that. That after you got your nutrients, you'd be left with quite a few calories to fill out. If you choose to fill them out with fat, you'll not only absorb more of the nutrients, you'll feel happy and satisfied and have joints that don't get inflamed. But if you choose to fill out those calories with grains, you could end up triggering hunger or truly empty calories like cookies which lead to weight gain and for folks like me, you could also end up fat with subclinical metabolic syndrome (which likely would have turned into the real thing in another decade.)
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I'm not sure if that's the most coherent thing I've ever posted, but I gave it a shot.
        I liked it, and it makes sense.

Comment

You need very little fat in your diet in order to meet requirements, and so yes butter is essentially empty calories. That means it shouldn't make up a significant proportion of your diet.
          http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I smell troll........

Comment

The USDA also says grains are good for you and should be the staple of your diet.

Typical?

Comment

I thought I smelled some tator/ers frying.

Comment

Working...
                X