Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out Bulletproof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I call my drink 44 mag Americano (of course, inspired by BP)...it's like a shot to the brain in the best way possible.

    Can be any combination of these: 2 to 2.5 oz of Espresso, 0-1 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter, 1-2 Tbsp EVCO, and 1 Tbsp MCT Oil (gradually increasing with tolerance), 1 Tbsp of Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 Tsp of Organic Cacao Powder, and 2 small spoons of pure stevia.

    It was great in the beginning and if I didn't have to balance my fat through the day, I would add all of the ingredients together every morning. I also hand stir, so when mixing in a glass coffee mug, the drink looked like a 1 inch oil slick over 1 inches of espresso.

    Currently, 2 to 2.5 Oz of Espresso, 1 Tbsp EVCO and 1 TBSP of MCT Oil and cacao every once in a while.
    Nutritional Ketosis Journal - http://dobnk.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83999.html

    Comment


    • #47
      Is it beneficial to have these coffees when fasting for 24 hours?

      Comment


      • #48
        I am at one meal a day on average and BPC helped me getting there, even though it was not the goal. I don't have BPC coffee any longer, or I would say I have amild version of it now because I don't feel the need to churn down so much fat in the early morning. I do have a little heavy cream and coconut oil in my coffee or tea for "breakfast" but not at the BPC level. It is a matter of habit, and I don't feel hungry at all during the whole day. My hunger signal is triggered around 5pm and even then, I believe it is more a habit than true hunger nowadays. I also have more meals during one day / week to up-regulate my metabolism but going back to one-meal-a-day is very comfortable after this "cheat" day. OK, just to say that coffee or not in the morning, the timing of your meals is a matter of habit. So long as you eat well on average every day, I can't call it "fasting" or even (more funnily) "starving"

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
          Is it beneficial to have these coffees when fasting for 24 hours?
          I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I find it beneficial, and I do a daily 18hr fast and remain in ketosis too.

          It's fun to do 24hrs of nothing but water though too. I'd say try both!

          Comment


          • #50
            Can someone give me the cribs on why this is a good thing? Is it better than just black coffee? I buy unroasted coffee beans from sweet maria's and roast them myself. The coffee is unlike anything available in almost any store, at any price. I can drink and appreciate my coffee as I do a single malt. Whole Foods has decent coffees for upwards of $13.99/lb and I get superior, fresher beans at ~$6.00/lb. Is there any reason I should be adding butter and oil to my coffee?
            I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
              Can someone give me the cribs on why this is a good thing? Is it better than just black coffee? I buy unroasted coffee beans from sweet maria's and roast them myself. The coffee is unlike anything available in almost any store, at any price. I can drink and appreciate my coffee as I do a single malt. Whole Foods has decent coffees for upwards of $13.99/lb and I get superior, fresher beans at ~$6.00/lb. Is there any reason I should be adding butter and oil to my coffee?
              The only reason would be to rely on a little fat to ease the fasting period, that's about all. It is also delicious, I was on BPC for a while and that the creamiest coffee I ever had
              There is no other reason than that I think. You can have your coffee black and still fast all day long if you like. I do it sometimes, when I just don't want to ingest anything calorie dense in the morning.

              Comment


              • #52
                Coffee does increase your insulin level a bit and the butter helps stabilize it and it also wards off hunger pains without driving you out of ketosis.
                "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

                Comment


                • #53
                  To follow up: I tried 3 tbsp organic grassfed butter in 16 oz of coffee and it DEFINITELY is not for me. I've been drinking my coffee black for years and this was like drinking oil. It was a nasty sensation and gave me an upset stomach.

                  I'll stick to black coffee. Oddly enough I like my tea with lots of cream in it. Go figure!
                  Last edited by ajm422; 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM.
                  I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by ajm422 View Post
                    To follow up: I tried 3 tbsp organic grassfed butter in 16 oz of coffee and it DEFINITELY is not for me. I've been drinking my coffee black for years and this tasted like I was drinking oil. It was a nasty sensation and gave me an upset stomach.

                    I'll stick to black coffee. Oddly enough I like my tea with lots of cream in it. Go figure!
                    Was it UNSALTED butter? It makes a huge difference. Salted butter in coffee is nasty. And did you blend it with a blender until it was frothy? It makes a huge difference as well. Hand stirring will definitely not do it.

                    Not trying to convert you to put butter in your coffee but if you're gonna try it I just want to make sure you're doing it right.
                    "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
                      Was it UNSALTED butter? It makes a huge difference. Salted butter in coffee is nasty. And did you blend it with a blender until it was frothy? It makes a huge difference as well. Hand stirring will definitely not do it.

                      Not trying to convert you to put butter in your coffee but if you're gonna try it I just want to make sure you're doing it right.
                      Yup. I used organic, unsalted, grass-fed butter from a local farm and followed the recipe on the site to at T. I'm incredibly particular about my coffee - homeroasted and homeground beans, unfiltered water, french press, etc. I preheated the blender, frothed it all up, and it looked just like all the pictures I've seen: 0.5 inch layer of froth and a dark golden color. I was actually really excited - it was a pretty sight.

                      Maybe I could see it helping out a subpar up of coffee, but it wasn't really the taste I objected to. It was the consistency - like drinking a thin gravy almost. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but I don't think it's worth it. I fast for 24-48 hours no big deal and I like black coffee. Glad I tried it though - now I know.
                      I'm a weak man...If I give myself a few feet of leeway, I burst through all of my prohibitions.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I know this is not "bulletproof" coffee, but I am new here :-). I am trying to lose weight and I am currently putting 1/2 TBS coconut oil and 2-3 TBS heavy cream in my coffee (divided among 2 cups of coffee). Is there anything wrong with that? Using cream instead of butter for weight loss?

                        I tried googling this and I found is basically that putting cream in your coffee will not allow you to get into (?) or stay in Ketosis and is bad. However the only places that I found that information was on websites selling their ingredients for BPC.

                        Opinions?

                        Thank you!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by DVC Daisy View Post
                          I know this is not "bulletproof" coffee, but I am new here :-). I am trying to lose weight and I am currently putting 1/2 TBS coconut oil and 2-3 TBS heavy cream in my coffee (divided among 2 cups of coffee). Is there anything wrong with that? Using cream instead of butter for weight loss?

                          I tried googling this and I found is basically that putting cream in your coffee will not allow you to get into (?) or stay in Ketosis and is bad. However the only places that I found that information was on websites selling their ingredients for BPC.

                          Opinions?

                          Thank you!
                          I think the difference is that butter has very few lactose in it. Creal has a lot.
                          So, it depends if you're lactose intolerant or not.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Myrtille View Post
                            I think the difference is that butter has very few lactose in it. Creal has a lot.
                            So, it depends if you're lactose intolerant or not.
                            Thank you, I am not lactose intolerant so it sounds like what I am doing is not harmful for weight loss. ??? :-)

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I don't think it is... But I may not have all informations.
                              For me hight fat low carbs work very well for weight loss, and (raw milk) cream works great.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I've ordered items from Vitacost that I can't find locally or when it's plainly more cost-effective.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X