Trying out Bulletproof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Some people use ghee instead of butter if they are very lactose intolerant. I'm sure the flavor will get lost in the coffee. Now and then I add a bit of cinnamon or chocolate. Typically a couple mugs lasts me till lunch or mid afternoon. The people who say it "doesn't work" for appetite suppression sound like they are only using tiny bits of fats. I use Kerrygold butter for its high K2 content and usually coconut oil and/or MCT oil. It adds up to my normal breakfast worth of calories so its not surprising that I'm not hungry till lunch.
    mmmmmm chocolate! I use Kerrygold to make ghee and also add a bit of coconut oil. The calories are lower than my normal brekkie but it would probably be close to the same if I had two cups. It still keeps me satiated however when I do this for lunch - I am afraid I wouldn't sleep if I had two cups that late in the day, my body is sensitive to that. I wouldn't do this for breakfast though, I am typically much too active early in the day to not have real food and I don't have time to eat afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Understood View Post
      The people who say it "doesn't work" for appetite suppression sound like they are only using tiny bits of fats.
      Of course it can "work" to some extent if you put enough butter or cream in your coffee, but at what price?

Pure fat in combination with coffee is not the best appetite suppression tool in my opinion. Hunger pangs are also getting worse when people are getting leaner and fat alone is not an optimal solution - especially when you can get 2-3 whole eggs for the same amount of calories that you puts in your coffee or tea...
      Last edited by Gorbag; 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM.
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

That is why I rarely use it, to me it is almost like a treat.

As odd as this might sound, part of my problem is that I don't GET hunger pangs. My body adapted over to highly restricted calories even though I was physically quite active - and as a result I don't seem to "feel" hungry unless I strictly fast for protracted period. I've noted, however, that seems to be starting to change. I went paleo back in August, and I've actually felt a few hunger pangs recently. I see this as a good sign that my body is starting to heal and is enjoying eating real food. I also won't do IF for this reason.

Comment

The point of butter and coconut oil rather than eating eggs etc. is for people who want to remain in ketosis. Some days I'd rather just have the fat. I often get plenty too much protein with just lunch and dinner.

Comment

Not a good point related to eggs, because you will remain in ketosis by eating them! The benefits of getting enough protein when dieting, around 0.8 - 1 gram X lb of bodyweight, is better hunger control and also better thermogenic effect than for fat + avoiding loss of lean bodymass. Study after study has shown that this is the case...
            Last edited by Gorbag; 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM. Reason: miscalculation
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

No my mistake, it should have been 0.8 -1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 2 gram per kilo. It is still more protein than most dieters are consuming...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I like cream in my coffee....I would use butter instead simply because its hard to source grass fed cream PLUS butter keeps longer. As to the benefits. Well you get fat soluble vitamins and energy quickly.....and I freaking love coffee and cream. So thats bout it. For those that are IF'ing you eliminate insulin spikes and extend the "fast". Yes you could have eggs OR "insert food here". Really doesn't matter though. We're talking 100-200 calories of good fat.

Far as the protein deal....yes you need protein to retain lean muscle mass, however the largest determining factor is doing some resistance exercise while your in a deficit. I don't believe that anything shows that the number is anywhere near 2x body weight as protein. The guidelines in PB for .7-1g/LEAN mass is quite sufficient (I'm using lbs your using kilos so same diff ). Ketosis IS muscle sparing. It's why many use it to lean out in the bodybuilding would.

In the end BP coffee is just coffee and butter. Nothing inherently good or bad about it. And of course everyone knows its not magic.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  No my mistake, it should have been 0.8 -1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 2 gram per kilo. It is still more protein than most dieters are consuming...
                  You answered as I was typing...haha. Thats much closer to what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Body weight or lean muscle mass? I've seen it both ways and tend to get confused on this. I do a lot of gym work & riding so tend to lean toward the gram/lb of bodyweight approach

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
                      Body weight or lean muscle mass? I've seen it both ways and tend to get confused on this. I do a lot of gym work & riding so tend to lean toward the gram/lb of bodyweight approach
                      It doesen't really matter very much, but if you have lots of fat to loose go for the lean body mass number instead. The point of getting enough protein is ALSO for better hunger control from proteins and thermogenic efect from proteins - this works even for people that doesen't train.

Just let me add that I like the taste of the butter coffee though and even better when adding some dark chocholate into the cup...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Yep, the numbers are pretty standard, but I am not very much used to calculate in pounds, lol...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

It doesen't really matter very much, but if you have lots of fat to loose go for the lean body mass number instead. The point of getting enough protein is ALSO for better hunger control from proteins and thermogenic efect from proteins - this works even for people that doesen't train.

Just let me add that I like the taste of the butter coffee though and even better when adding some dark chocholate into the cup...
                          I don't have much weight left to lose - I've lost more than what I currently weigh (mainly via CW approach) - outside of what is left around my middle which is, probably, more skin than anything. I think I will stick with the body weight formula.

I've not thought of adding dark chocolate into the cup - will have to try that next time

Comment

I don't have much weight left to lose - I've lost more than what I currently weigh (mainly via CW approach)
                            Wow, good work! I bet you have not been drinking too much bulletproof coffee by doing that?

I've not thought of adding dark chocolate into the cup - will have to try that next time
                            It may kick you out of ketosis though, if that’s important to you! I make my not-so-bulletproof-coffee with 1 teaspoon of Nescafe, 20 gram of dark chocolate, 1-2 gram of Splenda and one tablespoon of unsalted butter. I put everything in a steel-thermos and shake it together with hot water. You can also add a little rum! Very tasty, and it's almost primal too...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              I don't think it's magic, and the calories don't somehow disappear because you put them in your coffee. Yes, it won't kick you out of ketosis, but it's still energy you take in.

I find black coffee is sometimes hard on my stomach without a little fat to cushion it, and butter is a nice alternative to cream when I'm trying to limit lactose/casein intake (too much dairy makes me bloaty). I don't call it bulletproof coffee, though. I call it "coffee with butter". I also like butter tea. I bought one of those little battery-operated whisk things that are meant for frothing milk, and that mixes it quite nicely without the fuss of the blender.
                              I wasn't trying to replace a meal necessarily or even aiming for IFing. I just couldn't seem to find a good replacement for my "portable" breakfast I used to eat on the way to work. So I started making the quiches from the PB quick cookbook and taking them thinking I would have them when I got there. After drinking the coffee in the car on the way I found I wasn't really hungry so I just ate the quiche for lunch. Now it's a routine...
                              Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

Frankly I don't know if I am in ketosis or not - with my activity level I am afraid to allow my carbs to drop <50, I keep them between 60-80. I DO crave meat and fat after an especially hard workout or a long bike ride, assuming that is a sign of anything (probably not).

Comment

Working...
                                X