No announcement yet.

Dark under eye circles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it isn't completely your ethnicity and therefore genetic, it is likely food.
    I have always read that dark circles are the result of dairy for most people.
    If I cut dairy out of my fair skinned children's diets, the circles go away.
    Even in my own olive complexion I can lighten the circles a bit by going dairy free. However, they likely will never go away completely. Those of us with darker olive skin will always sport the smokey eye look.

Comment

My wife had that for a long time, but got them really bad when she was dropping weight. The Chinese medicine that she was taking for that was for the liver, not the kidneys, and it seemed like it was related to losing weight and detoxing. There's something about lack of sleep that prevents proper liver function too, which is apparently why people who don't sleep well get them worse than others.

You might try some herbal supplements for detoxing, but you might have to suck it up for a while as your body heals itself.

*Note* I could be completely ignorant regarding the above information, as I have a pretty limited understanding of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
        Under eye circles are largely genetic. Some people have very thin skin around their eyes and will look perpetually sleep-deprived no matter what. Find a good rollerball eye serum and a good concealer.
        Yup. The only thing I've found that really does work us Clinique's dark circle corrector. Even though it's a little $$$, the tube lasts a long time and it seriously does work.
        32-y.o., 5'7", 125lbs.
        Looking to improve my way of eating and mange a lean PCOS diagnosis without medication.
        Proud 80/20 primal mama of twins born March 2012 and surprise #3 due August 2013!

Comment

High histamine levels from allergies or other causes, and vit B12 deficiency, are well-known common contributing factors to dark circles under the eyes.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I dont' know how old you are, but often times dark circles appear as we age due to thinning of skin in that area. this is very common. Also, genetics play a part.
            http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post

How to stop histamine release though? I am allergic to everything. As far as I know, anti-histamine medication just stops the effects of histamines, it doesn't actually stop your body producing them... does anyone know if that is true, or of any other ways to stop histamines being released?
              Do you have symptoms of histamine intolerance? I have a suspicion this might be my issue, because I have low blood pressure and some other symptoms. (Incidentally, I also have dark circles under my eyes regardless of how much I sleep.) If so, the only way to deal with it is to eliminate/reduce consuming things that contain or trigger histamine release.

Histamine intolerance

The Food List - Histamine Intolerance

Comment

Chronic cardio promotes histamine release, as do certain foods such as spinach, tomato and citrus. Also gluten and phytic acid can do so if you have a connective tissue disorder that renders your mast cells to release histamine more readily.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Dark circles are the bane of my existance. I could live with cellulite and the stupid wrinkle one one side of my mouth (it appeared when I lost a lot of weight and makes me crazy) but the circles UGH! I did have some success getting them to be a bit less dark last year. I was using coconut oil around my eyes, like a lotion and I was taking iron. I am not sure which was helping or if it was a combo. I got lazy about both and they are dark as ever again. It was nice while it lasted though.

Comment

Heck you can see the circles in my avatar picture, and that is plastered with concealer.

Comment

Yeah... I have them too. There's nothing really wrong with me that is causing it, well lack of sleep, but it doesn't go away with enough sleep either. I just use a good concealer, lol.

Comment

Dark circles under eyes are a sign of allergies. i thought mine were from airborne allergies my whole life, turned to be a dairy allergy. My child gets them after eating wheat and they last for weeks.

Comment

Sinus congestion. The inflammation of the sinuses causes blood to pool in the capillary beds underneath the eyes. Slow venous return due to inflammation leaves blood sitting in the capillary beds waiting their turn to get into the venous system. That's what the Dr. told me anyhow.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful.

It sounds like allergies is probably the next thing for me to try and address. My big one, that got me hospitalised a few times when I was young, is dustmites. Obviously I cannot avoid those at all. I'll be a bit more strict with taking my allergy medication though, I only take it sporadically usually.
                            Maybe I'll cut dairy again too. I go through phases of having it.

Age is definitely not it haha I'm only 20! Maybe next time I decide to buy a moisturiser I'll go for one with retinol in it though any way.
                            Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
                            Bench: 45kg/99lb
                            Squat: 100kg/220lb
                            Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
                            My journal

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post
                              My eyes are quite "sunken" so the shadow effect really probably doesn't help but it's definitely the skin itself. I took a photo in full sunlight so there are no shadows....
                              [ATTACH]9743[/ATTACH]
                              That could be my under-eye darkness on a good day. It's been the bane of my existence since childhood. I was teased unmercifully by the other children and my grandmother was so cruel about it that I'm scarred for life. I've been told it's allergies. I've been told it's not enough sleep. I've been told it's bad hygiene (thanks grandma). I can't even put concealer on it because then I look like a person who put spackle on top of dark circles. So I have simply given up.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Sbhikes, try sleeping on your back with your head slightly elevated to encourage drainage. Also try a Neti pot if you haven't already. Other than that you can try decongestants. If that doesn't work, then you probably have a different underlying issue than I do. Those are the things that worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X