Popcorn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn?

Is popcorn ok? Is corn ok in general? I'm not sure where we stand with it. Obviously if i want to go to the cinema and buy popcorn can i? Not sure what it would be cooked in and covered in you see even if i can have it....

Corn is a grain -- most often a GM grain. If you want to make it part of your 20%, you could, but it wouldn't really be recommended. And yeah, that move theatre popcorn is a stale grain cooked in rancid, hydrogentaed PUFAs. I wouldn't.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

corn is generally a no-no on the primal blueprint (it's a grain), but the occasional popcorn while out to see a movie isn't going to do much damage.
      if you're looking for some more primal friendly snacks for the cinema, i usually go with something like pepperoni slices, dried fruit/veggies, nuts, jerky, or you could try making your own chips (crisps) or kale chips, etc.
      of course, you also have the option of just not eating while seeing that movie, but i get the whole going out to a movie and having it be a full sensory experience thing.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Grain + GMO = about as primal as a tv dinner.

However, if you can get corn from places like Mexico where they're trying to keep GMO corn out, then it would only be a grain. Still not primal, but at least not a frankenfood.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks guys I thought as much but wanted to check. Not a huge biggie thank you xx

Comment

Just to add, I noticed that you're in the UK and so far GM corn is not sold for human consumption here (although it might change if our government has anything to do with it), but the rancid oil it's cooked it still isn't very good for you!

Comment

I love movie popcorn but try to limit my consumption or just bring my own snacks! its just no fun if you don't eat at the movies!
              Health is Wealth!

Comment

It is a no no in general for being a grain and usually gmo. My husbabd loves it though so I compromised. I buy non gmo, organic old fashioned popping corn and make it in the kettle on the stove with natural fat we have around.

Comment

where did you find organic popcorn?
                  Health is Wealth!

Comment

They have it at our co-op as well as Trader Joe's (sometimes).

Comment

Movie theater popcorn is typically popped in coconut oil, probably not very high quality though. I go to the movies so rarely anyway that I allow it as a treat.

Comment

Saw this today: Is Popcorn Paleo? Who Cares! LewRockwell.com Blog

I agree 100% with Karen here.

I'm well within the 80/20 rule, so an occasional popcorn night fits in just fine with my overall plan.

Comment

I don't know about in the UK, but a few of the major theatre chains in the US now pop their popcorn in coconut oil. I personally don't like it, I like it popped in canola oil...even having seen the disgusting video on how canola oil is made. You could always ask the theatre what kind of oil they use, too.
                          29/F
                          5'4.5
                          Highest weight: 220
                          Starting weight: 195
                          Current weight: 179
                          Goal weight: 127

Comment

I place corn just under gluten in terms of things I avoid. I'll eat it sparingly, when there's not a better choice (say, at a Mexican restaurant where corn tacos are the best option).

My reasons are 1) corn is usually a GMO crop, sprayed to hell with crazy pesticides, 2) it's often fried/cooked in rancid PUFAs, and 3) it's just as abundant (if not more so) in the typical SAD American diet.

If one of the reasons gluten is so bad is due to the fact that it's literally in almost every single food item so we're being inundated with gluten at every meal/snack (in a SAD American diet), then corn has to be equally bad, if not worse, considering HFCS has just about completely replaced sugar in the U.S. (UK might not have this problem). I know corn contains a different protein than gluten, but it's just as ubiquitous in the SAD diet.

That said, I don't think it would be the end of the world to buy some organic, non-GMO corn and pop it at home using either an airpopper or good quality oil.
                            Last edited by BestBetter; 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Since I've been primal, a vist to the movies, i got a angus hotdog without the bun and a bottle of water. The concession girl gave me this little odd smile when she said,"here's your hot dog with no bun."

Comment

Working...
                              X