Popcorn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AstralBear
    The corn that is GMO (Roundup Ready ) is field corn , the stuff used for animal feed , corn flour , corn meal , corn chips and corn bread .

Pop corn is flint corn . Never heard of any GMO flint corn ??? But the oil most likely that it's pop with would be either soy or conola which would more likely be made from a GMO soy or canola. Canola is sometimes called rapeseed . I don't eat corn but unlike wheat ,barley ,rye and oats , it doesn't have gluten .
    Yeah, my kid is a big fan of popcorn, so I sometimes makes some in coconut oil on the stove (with lots of butter on top), and I looked up whether popcorn was GMO, and the answer was probably not. I'd be happy to see if someone could present some definitive info about this, instead of lumping popcorn together with feed corn or sweet corn. Name not withstanding, we're talking about three different plants here.

Comment

I used to be a total popcorn addict, but really don't think anywhere in the States is going to provide it popped in anything but PUFAs, for pure convenience and cost reasons. I wouldn't eat it out anywhere.

But I very occasionally -- like, three times I can remember over the last two years -- pop it at home in coconut oil, and slather on the good butter from a local dairy, with sea salt. Heavenly.

I have to say I'm not too worried about GMO stuff but YMMV.
      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

I remember hearing somewhere that all movie theaters used to use coconut oil, until the CSPA made them switch to trans fats, and then to PUFA.

Comment

I have it as a treat and buy amish country non-gmo popcorn and pop it in coconut oil.

Comment

Originally posted by meeshar View Post
            Movie theater popcorn is typically popped in coconut oil, probably not very high quality though. I go to the movies so rarely anyway that I allow it as a treat.
            It is not popped in coconut oil anymore... used to be years and years ago.

Comment

I hate cinema popcorn --- it's rancid and cooked in an abundance of unhealthy oils. Why not eat before you go to the cinema, or take a flask with a Gin and Tonic or red wine?
              ----------------------------------------
              F, 48, 5'10"
              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

It occurs to me that I've been primal for nearly three years now and I haven't had popcorn in that time. While I do use my discretion at times popcorn does not register as food with me anymore. It's just a bad smell once in a while at work or when I go to a movie theater.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                  Why not eat before you go to the cinema, or take a flask with a Gin and Tonic or red wine?
                  Best idea ever...

Comment

ok cool

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                    They have it at our co-op as well as Trader Joe's (sometimes).
                    Health is Wealth!

Comment

+1. Upon going primal in June 2011, I stored my Whirley Pop away and haven't had popcorn since. After reading Karen's blog the other day, I decided to drag it back out, to be used on occasion. Even before my primal days, I used coconut oil for popping. That will still be the case, but now the popcorn will be smothered in pastured butter and sea salt. Yummmm
                      Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Working...
                      X