No announcement yet.

i ate a chocolate bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of topics are driven by people who are unsure of what the consequence of eating a McDonalds burger might be after eating clean. You can feel pretty nasty if you eat certain junk foods.

I think for me, Primal eating is just how life will go for me. I will always eat this way. Right now, I keep the cheats minimal to lose weight. If I ate chocolate and McDonalds every time I wanted it, I'd never lose a pound. Right now, I am restrictive because if I want to lose fat, I must be.

As written, primal is not all that restrictive when it comes to whole foods. If you want to be healthy you MUST be somewhat restrictive in your diet given the huge amount of crap that is out there.A DQ burger and candy bar is no big deal on occasion....problem is that those occasions are too frequent and most people have been down that slippery slope. It's 10% then 20% then 60%.....

Glad you enjoyed your candy and burger.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
      Yes. I ate a caramilk bar. Because I wanted one. I also had a burger from Dairy Queen last week. Because I wanted one. It seems like so many of you people are paranoid about this diet. So many of you freak out when you eat something not primal. You post threads "OMG I ATE A DONUT. AM I GOING TO GAIN 50 LBS AND DIE? OMGWTF PRIMAL!!!!!"

Get real people. I eat healthy whole nutritious food all the time but, if i really feel for some reason that I want some onion rings or a pizza, then I am going to eat it, because at the same time you have to enjoy life.

Just stop being paranoid.
      Good for you. What do you want, a parade? Personally, the mere smell of fake meat on a grill makes me queasy. Thank God there's people like you to keep the fast-food economy booming -- keeps people employed.
      ----------------------------------------
      F, 48, 5'10"
      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
        Good for you. What do you want, a parade? Personally, the mere smell of fake meat on a grill makes me queasy. Thank God there's people like you to keep the fast-food economy booming -- keeps people employed.
        No. If you read my post, you would see I want people to stop being paranoid and not be afraid to live life by the 80% rule.

Comment

a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar. [or low in carbs? or no grains?]
          such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.[90% of people are in this forum because they are changing their eating habits so they can lose weight.]

Heres another issue I have. Maybe someone can explain this better to me but, how is this NOT a diet? Your changing your eating habits to include more of certain foods and less of certain foods. When you consume one of the "less food" its regarding as "cheating" or having a "cheat day". Youre also eating foods to keep, in a perfect world, around 100 carbs or less per day (for the average person) when the food guidelines tells you to eat more than that, therefore; contrary to what people on this form say, it IS A LOW CARB DIET if you do it the proper way.

Yes, its a way of life if you decide to follow the workout plan and its a way of life because you plan to be on this diet for the rest of your life but still, its a diet.
          Ah, but is not CW ALSO a diet? They just have different ideas about what is optimal and healthy.

So, from that perspective, you could theoretically argue that everyone is on some type of diet, whether it is working for them or not.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar. [or low in carbs? or no grains?]
            such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.[90% of people are in this forum because they are changing their eating habits so they can lose weight.]
            Go on then, I'll include the full list of definitions, instead of just cherry picking those that support my point:

1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
            2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
            3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
            4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
            5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

How about Leptin Resets? Are you sick of those yet?
              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                Go on then, I'll include the full list of definitions, instead of just cherry picking those that support my point:

1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
                2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
                3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
                4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
                5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.
                1. would apply.

4 or 5 dont really help an argument for or against. Would have been pointless to add them for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  Ah, but is not CW ALSO a diet? They just have different ideas about what is optimal and healthy.

So, from that perspective, you could theoretically argue that everyone is on some type of diet, whether it is working for them or not.
                  If you wanted to say CW was a diet I wouldnt argue, however; if I did, my only argument would be that it isnt a diet because the american CW is the "default". But then again, the american "default" is different than the asian "default" ect..

Comment

When I indulge on sugar it becomes a slippery slope. No freaking out, just acknowledging I am more likely to desire that stuff more frequently. I don't care about adhering to some strict "diet" but rather I know how different I feel when I avoid that stuff.

If you want to eat your chocolate bar at every meal...you should

Comment

Originally posted by TTBlue21 View Post
                      When I indulge on sugar it becomes a slippery slope. No freaking out, just acknowledging I am more likely to desire that stuff more frequently. I don't care about adhering to some strict "diet" but rather I know how different I feel when I avoid that stuff.

If you want to eat your chocolate bar at every meal...you should
                      Same here, sometimes if I eat chocolate I lose the plot and eat it until I feel sick. Some kind of trigger in my brain.
                      Fine if you can eat chocolate and it doesnt affect you but we are not all the same.
                      I ate 50g of dar chocolate last night and had a gin and tonic. It was a lovely treat to myself after a pressurised say.
                      In fact might do the same tonight.

Comment

1. would apply.

4 or 5 dont really help an argument for or against. Would have been pointless to add them for no reason.
                        Hmmm, I frequently thought that stating it as a "lifestyle" rather than a diet pointed to posts like this Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple . I would not call move frequently at a slow pace, or even "avoid poisonous things", as only being inherent to diet. It really is about more than food.....well if you bothered reading the book....which isn't a given on this forum. Not to mention diet just has a negative connotation as a short term fix/hack. Call this WOE a diet if you will, but living primal is more than diet.....at least if you are doing it right
                        Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it and can handle it You are lucky.

I have been on many slimming diets over the years and always been quickly successful in my goals, including this one. All have allowed treats occasionally, in moderation, but for some people, including me, any sugar consumption starts us on a very slippery slope. I can't tell you how many times I have started to include treats modestly, then it has just taken over and I am back where I started. The last time I was in Barbados for a month on holiday. I started having a teeny taste of hubbys dessert, by the end of the month I was eating more of it and within a couple of months had lost control altogether. this time is likely to be very different for me though, because is is now obvious after totally eliminating them, that I can't reintroduce any gluten, egg or dairy. So I wonder if that is the main reason.
                          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by annedawso View Post
                            Fine if you can eat chocolate and it doesnt affect you but we are not all the same.
                            Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                            Glad you enjoyed it and can handle it You are lucky.
                            Exactly. I'm not sure if the OP just wanted a chance to vent or what. You ate a chocolate bar. Good for you!

We are all different and, for some of us, it matters more than for others that we keep to a fairly strict protocol/diet/plan/<insert term here>. Some people have mentioned binging behavior. I don't suffer from that. I could eat a chocolate bar and walk away from the next one no problem. What I would do is knock myself out of ketosis and ketosis is how I maintain control of my epilepsy at a lower dosage of medication. I am also convinced that it is how I keep the cancer I had five years ago from coming back.

So, enjoy your effing candy bar. I have too much at stake to blow it for something so trivial. That's not me "freaking out", it's me doing what I need to to stay seizure free and alive. It MATTERS for some of us. If you don't have health problems, sure, I can see how a candy bar one way of the other is not such a big deal, but don't presume to judge when you are not in the other person's moccasins, OK?

Comment

Jeez, when you take a break, you take a break! A Dairy Queen burger? Barf. Personally, I'd rather walk through dog poo barefoot than eat a burger at a fast food place - or anything at a fast food place. But I gave up those horrors decades before I ever even heard of Primal. I am glad you enjoyed it though because we should all enjoy what we eat.

Yep, a lot of us fall off the wagon. And some need to post it here. C'est la vie.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I second paleobird.

Some people can't afford to eat pizza or chocolate or whatever. I have diabetes, so I AM a little paranoid about high sugar intake. You ate junk food. Big whoop. I ate the best tasting steak ever.
                                Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
                                Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X