Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new foods have you discovered from being primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Ox heart
    -Marrow bones
    -Chinese cabbage
    -Avocado (hadn't had since I was tiny!)
    -Shredded coconut
    -Raw eggs. In everything.

Going to "discover" chicken livers tomorrow!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
      I have discovered the joy of fermented foods.

Oh, and fresh mustard greens! Fry those things up with your ground meat and BAM, you're added a delicious spicy zing to your meat. Or add them to salads to add that kick. Those things are awesome.
      Mustard and raddish leaves are AWESOME. I get them at the local Asian stores. Can't find them anywhere else. Now, I look at solitary raddishes and think "what a waste of raddish leaf!"
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Grass fed ground beef and ground bison. So much more velvety than regular. I don't notice it as much with cuts of beef, but the ground is amazingly different. Also organic chicken livers taste very different/better than conventional ones.

Spaghetti squash. Just tried it a couple of days ago. I'm hooked. What a great food.

Rediscovered: butter. Honestly hadn't used butter in way too many years. And this led to...

Putting butter in coffee. This is so good that if I drank as much as I wanted, I'd be in permanent fat-ass mode. But it's such an amazing treat.

How could I almost forget grass fed beef shank? This is so good that it's almost sinful. A nice byproduct is that since it's cooked low and slow, the resulting broth, while not technically a bone broth, gelatinizes (is that a word?) nicely in the fridge and can be used to beef up veggies and other dishes.

Avocado oil. Again, it had been years since I had bottled oils in my home. When I learned how much bs olive oil there was, I decided to go with something less mainstream. I use it sparingly, but its uses are many and the flavor is gentle enough not to be intrusive.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

butter, then ghee, now I've learned how to make ghee

Beef shanks, short ribs, arm roast...red meat in general, I've not eaten it in years

Coconut....everything

Slow cooker!

Comment

Coconut oil, rutabagas, plantains, kohlrabi.

Comment

Coconut butter or coconut cream concerntrate! I'm going to have to try plantains

Comment

Honestly, I've basically tried everything I currently now eat. The difference is that the amount is significantly higher. I've always been really creative in the kitchen and happy to try new things.

The only thing I found to be "new" is coconut flour because I never considered using it to bake before, so I never bought it.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  Honestly, I've basically tried everything I currently now eat. The difference is that the amount is significantly higher. I've always been really creative in the kitchen and happy to try new things.

The only thing I found to be "new" is coconut flour because I never considered using it to bake before, so I never bought it.
                  Oh yes, I forgot about almond and coconut flour. Not that I use them much.....

And ditto on using some obscure ingredients more often. I haven't "discovered" rabbit or beef liver per se, but I'm definitely eating them much more often.

Comment

The joys of grass fed meat cooked rare.
                    The yumminess that is raw dairy products (cow and goat).
                    Homemade pemmican, jerky, and pate.
                    Got over my squeem about offal.
                    All things coconut.
                    Sea veggies. (I was already into seafoods)
                    Kombucha as an occasional treat.
                    100% cocoa chocolate actually tastes awesome! Who would have thought!

Comment

I found a chayote squash in the grocery store tonight. I've never seen them before. I bought one. Now I just need to learn how to cook it! (Or not... I wonder how it tastes raw?)

Comment

Parsnip everything... roasted, mash etc love it.
                        Coconut oil/cream etc.
                        Crio Bru
                        Cocoa nibs
                        Much nicer organic meat.... so much tastier.
                        Great paleo recipes
                        Deep fried Plantains.........eek like candy indeed
                        Avocado
                        Roasted beets
                        Just a liking for so many different veggies, that I have never had before. I am amazed I like them.
                        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I have discovered bok choy, brussels sprouts, kale, sugar snap peas, macadamia nuts and tomatoes (yeah I knew about tomatoes but hated eating them until now).
                          Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                          Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

The first thing I found that I really enjoy now is yogurt..... particularly greek yogurt. I have never been a "rotten milk product" fan, but I really like greek yougurt! Whodathunkit.
                            Next on the list have been a variety of squashes. Acorn, pumpkin (other than pie),patty pan, delicata. Roast them in a little olive oil with a touch of salt and pepper.... ohhh yum

And stirfry... with bok choy

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                              I found a chayote squash in the grocery store tonight. I've never seen them before. I bought one. Now I just need to learn how to cook it! (Or not... I wonder how it tastes raw?)
                              I think they are really similar to yellow summer squash. They seem to go by many names. Wikipedia gives a list including:
                              Christophene, cho-cho, mirliton, pear squash, choko, pipinola, and güisquil.
                              Chayote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My stepmom called them mirlitons and stuffed them with shrimp and breadcrumbs and stuff. They were awesome.

Comment

Vegetables. I despised everything except onions, garlic, and mushrooms before I started Primal. I have been reborn as a vegetable lover...
                                this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Working...
                                X