Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new foods have you discovered from being primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver: I even make my own pâté now - and it's freaking delicious!
    Kefir: Ditto
    Jerky: Ditto again

I was very brave and picked up a beautiful looking kohlrabi at a farmer's market the other day. Never had one in my life, and had no idea what to do with it. But I tried it for dinner tonight, and let me tell you, kohlrabi is on a fast track to becoming my New Favourite Vegetable! Don't know that I would have been so adventurous about trying a new vegie before hanging around on MDA.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

For me it has been more of an adventure in terms of processes I use to prepare food - fermented veg, kefir, liver pates, slow cooking - than ingredients because I have always been quite adventurous with food.
      Having grown up on a farm, offal was always around, so now I am trying to introduce more of it in my diet. Sourcing is a bit of a problem though.
      I also eat so much more game meats - kangaroo, venison, rabbit, ostrich etc.

Comment

Kimchi!

That and coconut milk.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I had never tried bone marrow until a few years ago. It was a combination of Primal and Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" that led me to it. Primal helped me find the grassfed supplier and "No Reservations" gave me the idea to ask for it.

Like Sigi, I started making my own jerky and other dehydrated fruits/vegetables.

I also started fermenting things (so far, kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha).

In the past few weeks I've been getting raw milk too. I think I will order some kefir grains today so I can try my hand at that!
          Last edited by yodiewan; 10-31-2012, 04:24 AM. Reason: I myself am not fermenting, I ferment some of my food.

Comment

Raw milk, beet kvas, bison steak, liver.

Also, trying a bunch of new recipes including homemade sausage, salad dressings, stews, chillis.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              Kimchi!
              this.

Always kinda liked it, but now I always have it around. Its great to have a korean market and restaurant nearby.

Comment

Beet greens! I love them sautéed with bacon fat or butter over any other green. Also discovered bone broth, tallow, marrow, pastured chicken with skin on - yum. I have bought liver (beef, lamb and chicken) but haven't cooked any of it yet. I think I will have some to break my potato fasting experiment.

Comment

Full fat Greek yoghurt!

Always used to opt for low fat probiotic but Fage Greek yoghurt is a dream!

Comment

The spaghetti squash was big eye opener to me. I'd heard about it before but for some stupid reason assumed I wouldn't like it. I was very wrong.

Also, as others have mentioned, the joy of cooking with coconut milk and coconut oil. Both of which were completely off my radar prior to going Primal. Loooove sauteeing my fish in a bit of coconut oil now.

And it made me really discover the magic of my crockpot. Particularly the recipes over at paleomg.com

Comment

Nutty Blueberry Protein Balls

ZOMYGAWD!

Comment

Bok choy, plantains, Swiss chard.

I've been looking everywhere for kohlrabi and haven't found it. Yet.

I may have to grow it myself!

Comment

I get the plain FAGE full fat and mix with either avacado or salsa for a nice sauce!

Originally posted by dollyrocket View Post
                          Full fat Greek yoghurt!

Always used to opt for low fat probiotic but Fage Greek yoghurt is a dream!
                          Health is Wealth!

Comment

Not sure if you have a Wegmans or Trader Joe's or a farmers market but you will find it there. I make it with my swiss chard or spinash! yummy!

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                            Bok choy, plantains, Swiss chard.

I've been looking everywhere for kohlrabi and haven't found it. Yet.

I may have to grow it myself!
                            Health is Wealth!

Comment

Originally posted by simpstr View Post
                              Not sure if you have a Wegmans or Trader Joe's or a farmers market but you will find it there. I make it with my swiss chard or spinash! yummy!
                              No to Wegmans, and Trader Joe's is "Opening SOON!" in Salt Lake City. Whole Paycheck didn't have it, neither does Smith's/Albertson's, nor does the base commissary.

Farmer's markets are done for the year, here. They didn't have kohlrabi at the final one for the year, Oct. 6th. We had 8" of snow last week (mostly melted now)!

I still have to check the nearest Wal-Market (Walmart Market?) but if Smith's didn't have any, I don't have much hope for Wal-Market.

Comment

My family has always been big on buying strange vegetables, then figuring out what to do with them, so this is a hard question. But just today I tried Thai green eggplant for the first time. Delicious in a curry BTW.
                                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                                X