Surviving A High Carb Holiday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
    Drumroll, you may just have to pass on dessert. Not to big a crime in your family I hope!
    Uh, desert is next to Godliness in my family.

Seriously.

The one who brings the desert invariably receives more praise than the one who brings the turkey and I'm being totally serious. Saying no is pretty much a sin in my family circle. You don't say no to food that others have made for you because it's seen as rude and ungrateful to their efforts.

In a family that revolves around food as much as mine does, the culture is "you eat what you are given, when you are given it, and you don't ever say no." Food is like a sacred crutch in my family.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
      Uh, desert is next to Godliness in my family.

Seriously.

The one who brings the desert invariably receives more praise than the one who brings the turkey and I'm being totally serious. Saying no is pretty much a sin in my family circle. You don't say no to food that others have made for you because it's seen as rude and ungrateful to their efforts.

In a family that revolves around food as much as mine does, the culture is "you eat what you are given, when you are given it, and you don't ever say no." Food is like a sacred crutch in my family.
      Same with mine. If someone spent 6 hours preparing something, you better eat at least a serving of it or you're an ungrateful douche. My cousin went veggie for a while, and while she was sitting there dipping veggies into ranch dressing, my uncle stood right over her with a comically large turkey leg asking her how her "rabbit diet" was going. My uncle rules haha.
      Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
      CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
        Same with mine. If someone spent 6 hours preparing something, you better eat at least a serving of it or you're an ungrateful douche. My cousin went veggie for a while, and while she was sitting there dipping veggies into ranch dressing, my uncle stood right over her with a comically large turkey leg asking her how her "rabbit diet" was going. My uncle rules haha.
        If I had a legit medical condition, they MIGHT understand. But I can't fake one either, because they know that I have eaten SAD diet fine for years. If I had any true issues it would be apparent by now, so no pulling a fast one over on them.

But yeah. food is basically my family's entire culture. When we get together, it seems that the main activities are centered around mealtime and making alterations to that is seen as a breaking of the family bond and sacred cow. I'd be looked upon with the utmost disdain and cause lots of family tension. I'd get the typical "oh, boo hoo, you won't eat X, suck it up for the family" response, so I have resigned myself to eating like crap to keep my impact on causing any family drama to a minimum.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I will not have a choice about this myself, come Christmas time. Out of 25 folks I am the ONLY one who eats a primal diet and I can only imagine that is not about to change before then. My family is inundated with CW propaganda.

So much so that my grandfather has sent out several "alert" measures, urging us to go on statins as a preventative measure if our cholesterol gets above 180. A PREVENTATIVE measure. Statins being taken casually like that is a pretty f*cking scary thought!

But yeah, that's just to show you the extent of my family's indoctrination. It's pretty bad. And being the ONLY person who does NOT eat a CW diet in my family out of 25 people... I'm just going to have to suck it up. I am resigned to that fact. *sigh*
          Does your family do a turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams?? Those are all things that you could have that would probably be the best options.....Yes, I'm sure they might be made with an oil you don't want or sugar on the yams, etc, but all that is probably better than eating a bunch of breads and pastas. I'm going to be in the same boat with our family get togethers. I plan to have the meats, probably some mashed taters and greenbean casserole.

Comment

You all should start hosting Thanksgiving---then you can have more control of quality and type of foods being served! It IS a huge amount of effort to put on a spread for a large family gathering!
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I was totally primal for a year then gave it all up for a bout of shameless pizza and krispy kremes

I've never felt better. But the hunger spikes after going back to non primal are horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                Does your family do a turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams?? Those are all things that you could have that would probably be the best options.....Yes, I'm sure they might be made with an oil you don't want or sugar on the yams, etc, but all that is probably better than eating a bunch of breads and pastas. I'm going to be in the same boat with our family get togethers. I plan to have the meats, probably some mashed taters and greenbean casserole.
                We do the traditional holiday meal, yes. But that's ONE night out of six that I will be with family. They always, ALWAYS do the pasta meal one night (which is ONLY bread, pasta, and salad), deserts EVERY night, ect. Having an option for one night is great, but solving for six meals with a family like mine is not possible. And no, I am not going to pack six meals worth of bacon and jerky and live off of that.

Comment

We do the traditional holiday meal, yes. But that's ONE night out of six that I will be with family. They always, ALWAYS do the pasta meal one night (which is ONLY bread, pasta, and salad), deserts EVERY night, ect. Having an option for one night is great, but solving for six meals with a family like mine is not possible. And no, I am not going to pack six meals worth of bacon and jerky and live off of that.
                  Lol!!! Trust me, I wouldn't do that either. I guess you'll just have to do the best you can. Maybe you can consider it a six day vacation from being Primal.....eat all the delicious foods and desserts that you wouldn't normally partake of, just make sure to get right back on track after the holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                    Lol!!! Trust me, I wouldn't do that either. I guess you'll just have to do the best you can. Maybe you can consider it a six day vacation from being Primal.....eat all the delicious foods and desserts that you wouldn't normally partake of, just make sure to get right back on track after the holiday.
                    That's probably what I will have to do. Although getting back on track is going to be HAAAAAARD! Ugh.

Comment

That sounds horrible. Makes me glad that in my culture, we don't do the holiday thing so I have never had a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner my whole life. If its something u don't want to eat, no anount of shame and pressure and guilt-tripping will make me eat it. I've say through Chinese wedding buffets without eating a bite and my family doesn't care lol.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                        That sounds horrible. Makes me glad that in my culture, we don't do the holiday thing so I have never had a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner my whole life. If its something u don't want to eat, no anount of shame and pressure and guilt-tripping will make me eat it. I've say through Chinese wedding buffets without eating a bite and my family doesn't care lol.
                        For me it's less about myself than it is my family. I don't care what they think about me, but I don't want to cause tension around the dinner table when my whole family is eating and whatching me sit there. When they "know" I don't need a "special" meal. It would just cause tension and ruin everyone else's good time and I don't want to do that.

Comment

Drumroll, I don't know your family, so I don't claim this will work for you -- but I often find that I can eat as much or as little as I want to of anything as long as I keep my mouth shut. I have even been known to say "Oh yes, that was DELICIOUS!" when asked if I'd tried something I didn't want to eat. People in my experienmce are not usually actually apying attention to what other people eat as long as no one brings it up and as long as folks are eating *something*. That will still be rough on pasta night...but maybe you can supply BAS for everyone and then mostly eat that?
                          Misti
                          Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
                          ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
                          Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

Might be worthwhile to have your own private sign printed at a printing house: "Occupied" Then you'll be able to reserve a toilet for your own personal use. If you've been off wheat for a while, it may be that your system is going to rebel....and when it does, having an "occupied" sign is going to be your relief. ;-)
                            ----------------------------------------
                            F, 48, 5'10"
                            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Misti View Post
                              Drumroll, I don't know your family, so I don't claim this will work for you -- but I often find that I can eat as much or as little as I want to of anything as long as I keep my mouth shut. I have even been known to say "Oh yes, that was DELICIOUS!" when asked if I'd tried something I didn't want to eat. People in my experienmce are not usually actually apying attention to what other people eat as long as no one brings it up and as long as folks are eating *something*. That will still be rough on pasta night...but maybe you can supply BAS for everyone and then mostly eat that?
                              Yeah, when they see a completely untouched plate they will immediately assume that I thought the meal was inadequate. Heh. They do tend to take it personally when you don't eat what they serve. *sigh*

Comment

I guess I am incredibly lucky that the only two bad Thanksgiving foods at my mother's are the soybean oil based dressing in the marinated veggies and the homemade sourdough based sage stuffing. Otherwise my grandmother does all she can to get as much turkey, butter, and plain baked sweet potatoes in us as possible. Our holiday meals are always mostly primal.

Comment

Working...
                                X