Where do you buy your pork?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you buy your pork?

What is the cheapest place you've used to buy pork? I want to try eating more pork, but all the good sources near where I live require that I buy half a hog at 80lbs, and I don't have that much freezer space...
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Local farm that raises the pigs on pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by awm8604 View Post
      Local farm that raises the pigs on pasture.
      See note above on having to buy 80lbs at once.

Comment

I buy pork in bulk for the most part, but I also buy individual cuts from my butcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
          I buy pork in bulk for the most part, but I also buy individual cuts from my butcher.
          How do you look for a local butcher who processes pastured meat?

Comment

There's a vendor at my local farmer's market that sells pasture-raised and grass-fed meats by the cut and lb. I get tons of ground pork, shoulder roast, pork chops, bacon, and sometimes pork belly and/or lard from them in addition to all the beef and tallow I can stand.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Farmer's markets here are so ridiculously overpriced, though.

Comment

Meh, you pay for the quality you get. I think $7.00 a pound for pasture-raised ground pork or grass-fed ground beef is very reasonable.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I buy at my farmers market. There are a few people that sell pastured pork. I have never seen pastured pork at a store, but her beef is cheaper than grass fed beef at the stores.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Pork from the grocery store, all thats available to me at the moment.

Comment

You could always try and find one or two others to go in with you on a 1/2 hog. 40 lbs of meat wrapped in individual packages will fit in a standard fridge freezer. Heck you could darn near get all 80 lbs in there, but there wouldn't be much room left over. Nice thing about hogs is they are considerably cheaper than beef. I just purchased a 1/2 hog and it was only $240

Comment

Ehhhh if I wanted to go buy a half hog somewhere, it would cost $7.99/lb versus the $6.69/lb for beef for ~80lbs.

Edit: by the way, sorry, I meant quarter hog, not half. XD

Comment

Wow, hogs are expensive in you part of the world. That's over double my cost here in CO. Bummer.

Comment

Haha, I guess because in California we raise a lot more beef than pigs? Makes sense because we have more grass? :P

Comment

We are raising 2 hogs. When we bought 1/2 a beef it came out to $4 something a pound, so worth it but it is a lot of meat.
                              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                              X