Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chest freezer.
    NOT frost-free.
    Turn the temperature down. Your ice cream will be rock hard, rather than scoopable, but your meat will last a lot longer if properly wrapped.

If you are out of freezer space, maybe you should buy another freezer first? It has saved us a LOT of money over the years, and allows us to buy better meat.

Comment

The housing I live in is temporary for about another year, so I can't buy too many things to be bogged down with. Thanks for that suggestion though - I definitely will get a freezer once I start a family!
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I just bought 17 lbs of pork at Superfresh. Whole loins were on a 3 day special - $1.69/lb. Pretty sweet deal so I bought 2, trimmed them up really well, cut them individually and wrapped them up in freezer bags. Now I have 6 large pork roasts. I took all the fat I cut off and rendered a small jar of lard from it as well by cooking out all the water slowly, then straining it through a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. Worked perfectly.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Still iffy about CAFO cuts of meat....
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Hey Choco, was that pastured pork?

I've toured factory hog operations..... I think the extra you pay for pastured pork is money well spent if chemicals and hormones in meats bother you. It's a giant chemistry experiment, some of those places. I don't think anything (except maybe chickens) is as unnatural as how they raise pigs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              Hey Choco, was that pastured pork?

I've toured factory hog operations..... I think the extra you pay for pastured pork is money well spent if chemicals and hormones in meats bother you. It's a giant chemistry experiment, some of those places. I don't think anything (except maybe chickens) is as unnatural as how they raise pigs.
              No, it's not pastured pork. It's minimally processed "all natural" pork. I don't have access to pastured pork and don't really care to look, honestly. I don't like fatty cuts of meat and strongly prefer lean meat, and since the toxins build up mostly in the fat, it doesn't concern me very much.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

If I want pastured pork the only local place is the farmer's market. I haven't yet purchased any. I believe you can order it from US Wellness meats now. I do like Chaco does and either purchase it from a small local grocery that has real butchers (probably not pastured) or from Trader Joe's (have no idea if it's pastured or what.)
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I can almost assure you that the Trader Joe's pork will not be pasture-raised stuff. Your local butcher probably not either, although you can certainly ask them to make sure.

Hell, I saw you guys talking about grass-fed beef from Trader Joe's, and my local Joe's does not have that. Those that do are pretty lucky.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I get mine here............ Pork
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm not that fussy whether the meat is grassfed or pastured every single time. I do what I can. Stressing over the details is not that important to me. When I want a really rich fatty cut of pork, a trip to Whole Foods is in order. It's actually not that expensive. But if I'm at Trader Joe's and they've got pork chops, I can usually convince my boyfriend to toss them in the cart and then yay, we get pork chops and I didn't have to pay for them.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        Well, I'm not that fussy whether the meat is grassfed or pastured every single time. I do what I can. Stressing over the details is not that important to me. When I want a really rich fatty cut of pork, a trip to Whole Foods is in order. It's actually not that expensive. But if I'm at Trader Joe's and they've got pork chops, I can usually convince my boyfriend to toss them in the cart and then yay, we get pork chops and I didn't have to pay for them.
                        I wasn't saying you should worry about it or anything. I was merely responding to your statement of "I don't know."

And my local Whole Foods is starting to become a favorite store of mine as well.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Butcher should be able to tell you what the source is. Look for a butcher getting his meat from a family farm/ranch. More likely to be pasture fed and probably corn finished but that's better than most. My butcher gets his from a family owned ranch down near Pueblo, CO for instance. He's even got pics of their operation up on his wall. Great pig and beef and most of it pretty lean anyway so not loads of fat to worry about though I do enjoy a bit of succulent fat on my cuts.

Comment

H-Mart is cheap and usually has a wide variety of cuts available, even organ meat. Not very widespread though.
                            ----------
                            Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Working...
                            X