Eat Your Vegetables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
    It's actually fine for you raw, as long as you get it clean and chew it thouroughly. Cruciferous veg (broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, kale...) are all healthy raw and some nutrients are more accessible raw, provided your stomach acid is strong enough. Of course, other nutrients are more accessible cooked, so it's worth eating sometimes raw, sometimes cooked.

I've eaten raw cauliflower and cabbage for a while, but wanted to try broccoli. Didn't mind the crown or leaves, but the stalk was vile. Then I realised: I usually eat cabbage or cauliflower stalk COATED in some form of home-made dressing. Tried that, it worked.
    Anna was probably referring to the whole "cook crucifers to death to remove goitrogens" scare some people get on a high horse over.

Seriously though, unless you have thyroid issues already, this isn't even going to matter one way or the other.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Raw broccoli is a great dip delivery device.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        Yep! And celery too.

Those are the two veggie winners in the dip wars.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

just served Pate' yesterday at a little gathering with celery as the vessel of choice!

Comment

baby carrots win the dip war for me. yummy!
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Here's an easy trick. When I'm noticing that I'm getting lax on eating greens, I start tossing them into anything I make that has tomato sauce (curries also are strong enough to mask them). I use frozen greens and will put in about 3 weighed oz per portion. Spinach and collards seem to be mild enough as to pretty much disappear (tastewise) in the sauce.

Also in "patties." Fish (flaked) + mashed potato + egg + greens = patty. Chill so they don't melt in the pan. "Fry" in healthy fat or oil.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                Anna was probably referring to the whole "cook crucifers to death to remove goitrogens" scare some people get on a high horse over.

Seriously though, unless you have thyroid issues already, this isn't even going to matter one way or the other.
                I wouldn't get rid of my raw cabbage for ANYTHING. Coleslaw ftw. Paleo mayo, add some walnuts, shredded carrot... Mmm!
                But, seriously, healthy thyroid, healthy everything.
                --
                Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  Indeed! I like the florets on their own, but stalk NEEDS a dip/sauce of sorts. Fussy that way.
                  --
                  Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                  I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                  I'd apologize, but...

Comment

And even if you don't like them, there's all kinds of ways to make them palatable. My favorite is to chop up all kinds of things, fry some bacon, onion, garlic and tomato and then pitch all the veggies in. Cover it to keep in the steam, add spices and herbs and voila! Delicious veggies.
                    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      Here's an easy trick. When I'm noticing that I'm getting lax on eating greens, I start tossing them into anything I make that has tomato sauce (curries also are strong enough to mask them). I use frozen greens and will put in about 3 weighed oz per portion. Spinach and collards seem to be mild enough as to pretty much disappear (tastewise) in the sauce.

Also in "patties." Fish (flaked) + mashed potato + egg + greens = patty. Chill so they don't melt in the pan. "Fry" in healthy fat or oil.
                      +1

I throw greens into all sorts of dishes. Curries, chili, tomato sauces, primal "lasagna" (using zucchini instead of noodles)...so many opportunities.

Vegetable chips are tasty too. I make them out of all kinds of root veggies.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

To the contrary, I enjoy veggies just fine but can also go months without eating them and never miss it. Got to cook them or I get the runs from most veggies. Even now, the only veggies/plant foods I'm eating are:

Frozen organic spinach
                        Vit D mushrooms
                        Avocados (but not this week, need a break from them after two years of daily consumption)
                        Sweet potatoes (this week for the first time in a long time, carbing up for winter)
                        Onions
                        Berries
                        Canned olives
                        Apples
                        Occasional gathered wild greens like nettle and dandelion
                        Occasional seaweed

I eat all of those generally in small amounts, cooked, and on the side, and can do without them if I'm in a hurry. I'm happy on meat/organs/fish, bone broth, a variety of fats, eggs, etc. I usually set aside two or three days a week and eat little more than a pound of bacon and a few eggs, maybe some oysters each day.

I generally meet most of my mIcronutrient needs this way, while green tea and the green apples help my skin the same way a bowl of kale used to - but without the diarrhea.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I often wonder if it's related to the jarred baby food instead of feeding babies real food. My children never had jarred baby food. Just cooked whatever we were making for dinner a little longer and put it on their high chair tray to eat. They got to taste REAL food right away.

Comment

If someone really cant stand veggies they can follow Demuralist's lead and add them to a smoothie. I like frozen strawberries, chunk of frozen banana, fresh kale, fresh spinach, and cooked yam mixed with whey protein and water. Sometimes I add a bit of almond butter.

Comment

My aversion to salads when I was little came from my intense hatred of lettuce. Other vegetables I can eat just fine, I never even though of them as vegetables. For me "vegetables" = lettuce, so I found myself saying I hated vegetables when I only just couldn't stand lettuce salads.
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                                My aversion to salads when I was little came from my intense hatred of lettuce. Other vegetables I can eat just fine, I never even though of them as vegetables. For me "vegetables" = lettuce, so I found myself saying I hated vegetables when I only just couldn't stand lettuce salads.
                                +1. Iceburg lettuce is tasteless and very low in nutrition. As for Dark green leaves such as spinach, rucola, watercress, baby chard in a quality dressing, well it's a very different story. I like lambs lettuce too.
                                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X