Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's your take on slim jim and beef jerkey??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your take on slim jim and beef jerkey??

i love both of those and i know they're decent for protein but i was wondering if there's more negative health effects of them?

You can find some decent grass fed beef jerky, or better yet, make your own! I'm guessing slim jim's are full of junk.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

It says its slim so obviously its good for you........k, if you believe that I got a bridge to sell you in utah.

Comment

I make my own jerky. It's surprisingly easy.

Although I'm thinking about making it a base for some pemmican....
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

usually if we get a deer around this time of year, we make a ton of jerky, but we didn't get one this year

Comment

how nutritious do you really think "mechanically separated chicken" is?

Comment

Originally posted by breetbree View Post
              usually if we get a deer around this time of year, we make a ton of jerky, but we didn't get one this year
              Yeah I cant get deer outside of hunting season also .....seriously though. You seem to know the necessary ingredients to creating jerky. Slim Jims don't fit that mold do they? Home made is best....from there the list gets iffy, but you seem like you can figure it out. Go with what looks best.

Comment

In addition to whatever mystery meat they're made out of, Slim Jim's ingredients include corn syrup, soy protein, and a bunch of preservatives and salt. Not Paleo/Primal-friendly. Make your own out of quality ingredients.
                "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

I think store bought beef jerky should be avoided for the most part due to added sugar and soy products. However in the case of an emergency I think it is better than eating a bagel. Be sure to read the labels, some jerky has soy some doesn't. Minimize the non-paleo ingredients.
                  Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                  Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

i love jerky. but most jerky is not paleo. slim jims should be avoided because of all the chemicals in it.

Steve's Original: PaleoKits, Paleo Diet, Zone Diet, Paleo Diets, Gluten Free this is paleo jerky. get the grass fed kind. if you are going for a quick meal dont waste it on poor meat if you can help it

Comment

Get yourself a food dehydrator. About $60 on Amazon. Buy your meats: chuck and flank steaks work good. Cut them into strips. Add whatever spice you like and follow the directions on the dehydrator. I've experimented a little...need to refine my technique but have made a decent batch of homemade jerky.

Comment

Read the ingredient list. Slim Jim's are most definitely not clean. As for beef jerky, it depends on the brand. Again, look at the ingredients for suspicious chemicals and other crap. It should read something like beef, salt, (maybe) sugar, and spices. Any more than that is your cue to drop the bag.
                        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Sorry to jump in with a question of my own, but as it's somewhat related maybe it's relevant to others searching this thread as well.

I have my own food dehydrator but I can't seem to find the right balance between having a raw middle and a completely dried out terrible tasting piece of meat. Are there any tips or do I just need some more practice?

Comment

Working...
                          X