Desperate here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate here...

...coffee gives me an allergic reaction and tea gives me heartburn- I'd have chocolate milk in the am, but can't stomach that much dairy in a go. WHAT CAN I DRINK? I need something warm and preferably caffeinated in my cuppa to hold on to. Water and the usual herbal teas don't cut it, I've been trying. Help me!!

Some people here like Crio Bru (cocoa beans ground like coffee). It's expensive, though.

Comment

You can make chocolate with water in stead of milk,

Comment

If you can't tolerate black tea, try green tea powder (matcha)? Matcha contains a pretty significant amount of caffeine. Also, Yerba Mate might work.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I've heard that some people react poorly to chemicals that are used when processing tea and coffee. Maybe try a good organic loose leaf tea. I also second the Yerba Mate, you can get it roasted(coffee esq) or green, and it has more caffeine than coffee (I believe), also it is supposed to have a less of a caffeine crash. Good luck!

Comment

Have you tried a nifty little beverage called "yerba mate?" Just brew it in a dripncoffee machine, 1 tablespoon per cup of water. The South Americans drink a ton of it daily. In certain regions they can hardly be seen without a hot bombilla of mate or a chilled glass of iced mate even while walking down the street.

You might have some reactions to it, but you should give it a go before you decide that. And to address the cancer concerns people always bring up about mate:

1. The studies didn't account for high rates of smoking in South America.
            2. The studies were on smoked mate. You can buy air dried mate which is what I prefer anyway, since it has a smoother taste. Being air dried should eliminate the smoke compounds which were believed to have the negative effects.
            Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Apparently Mate is also quite useful for weight loss as it is shown to help the fat burning instead of carbs burning.
              Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
              (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                Apparently Mate is also quite useful for weight loss as it is shown to help the fat burning instead of carbs burning.
                Caffeine in general will do that as it actually causes a small amount of fats to be released from stores into the blood stream, which the body will then use for energy.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Nope, Caffeine increases the overall metabolic rate (it also raises cortisol levels, which is clearly not a good thing on a regular basis). It's the reason people with thyroid and adrenal issues, or hormonal issues in general, have to avoid drinking coffee.

I have to search a bit but there's another component in Mate that makes it different from Caffeine in the fat loss domain.

EDIT : "One indicator that it is working to burn more fat is a drop in something called the respiratory quotient (RQ), which indicates a rise in the proportion of fat being oxidized or burned in the body."
                  Just a little finding, which is not the case with coffee.
                  Last edited by Daydreamer; 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM.
                  Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
                  (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

teas give me heartburn as well

welp, you can try goat's milk, coconut milk, warm flavored water (honey/lemon/?), if you have some leniency in your diet you can go the crystal light route

that's... really all i can think of right now
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                      EDIT : "One indicator that it is working to burn more fat is a drop in something called the respiratory quotient (RQ), which indicates a rise in the proportion of fat being oxidized or burned in the body."
                      Just a little finding, which is not the case with coffee.
                      I've read that tea (especially green and oolong teas) do something quite similar. I'd have to search to see if I can find it again...

Edit: Here's something that points to it.

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/4/389S.full

As it says, "respiratory quotient (RQ) values were significantly lower with EGCG compared to the placebo."
                      Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I second the Crio Bru recommendation. You could also warm some coconut milk and add unsweetened cocoa powder.
                        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Yerba mate does not have more caffeine than coffee. I cut out coffee years ago and mate became my replacement. It has a substance called mateine which is like caffeine...but isn't.

I've found I've actually gotten really used to mate and it doesn't wake me up as much anymore. Or maybe I'm sleeping better these days. It's possible. I'm working on supporting my adrenals.

I still do drink the occasional cup of coffee. But it has to be good quality, or else I don't feel that shit hot after.
                          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Bone broth.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                              Yerba mate does not have more caffeine than coffee. I cut out coffee years ago and mate became my replacement. It has a substance called mateine which is like caffeine...but isn't.
                              It's caffeine. Don't kid yourself. Even noted producer of yerba mate, Guyaki, which has every reason to want people thinking there is no caffeine in yerba mate is on record as saying "recent scientific research suggests that the stimulant in yerba mate is caffeine."

See here: http://guayaki.com/faq.html

It is the proportion of caffeine to other substances that is unique to yerba mate that gives it its unique effects that many claim are much milder than coffee.

To quote Wikipedia: "Mate contains three xanthines: caffeine, theobromine and theophylline, the main one being caffeine. Caffeine content varies between 0.7% and 1.7% of dry weight[8]."

(emphasis is mine)
                              Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X