No announcement yet.

Desperate here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This yerba mate -- is there a preferred brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Roary View Post
      This yerba mate -- is there a preferred brand?
      Just go to your local Whole Foods or health food store and go get some. I recommend sticking with air dried (might also be called unsmoked) stuff for the above reasons I stated in my first post. Once you know whether or not you tolerate it well (and like it to boot), you can invest more heavily.

I am a fan of the mate myself though, so I got some really high quality stuff from Earth Shift Products. Completely air dried and raw as well as certified organic.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Thanks! I'll ask for recommendations at the market. Always on the lookout for a new bev.

Comment

It hasn't got caffeine - but when I want something hot (or if I've got a cold or flu) I make up a hot drink with a Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and a teaspoon of honey, and fill the mug with hot water.

Adjust the concentrations to suit yourself - but I love it...

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            It's caffeine. Don't kid yourself. Even noted producer of yerba mate, Guyaki, which has every reason to want people thinking there is no caffeine in yerba mate is on record as saying "recent scientific research suggests that the stimulant in yerba mate is caffeine."

See here: Frequently Asked Questions about yerba mate

It is the proportion of caffeine to other substances that is unique to yerba mate that gives it its unique effects that many claim are much milder than coffee.

To quote Wikipedia: "Mate contains three xanthines: caffeine, theobromine and theophylline, the main one being caffeine. Caffeine content varies between 0.7% and 1.7% of dry weight[8]."

(emphasis is mine)
            WAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Whatever. I'll live.

I wonder how many grams per cup? Coffee is said to have around 120, tea much less so, also dependent on steeping time.
            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
              WAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Whatever. I'll live.

I wonder how many grams per cup? Coffee is said to have around 120, tea much less so, also dependent on steeping time.
              It is like tea. Much less and also dependent on steeping time and number of brews from each cup of leaves (you can rebrew mate leaves three or four times). It also depends on how and where the leaves are grown, what kind of environment they come from, ect. Growing conditions can effect caffeine content in the leaves. Same for tea.

I'm not debating the wonderful effects of mate which are far and away different than anything from coffee. Fewer jitters, less "adrenaline rush", more balanced... But it is not some magic substance that causes that. It's good ol' chemistry.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I'd like to suggest cold-brewed coffee, if you are really not wanting to give it up.
                You can google lots of methods. No particular special equipment needed, either.

Comment

Wow, thank you for all the suggestions! I'm not too fond of mate, but I'll give it another go I think. Also saw the Criu stuff somewhere- will try that too. And also the cocoa with coconutmilk. Excellent! Have useful list to work with, and if there's more, out with it!

Comment

Make chocolate with coconut milk. Easy swap, and delicious!
                    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Bone broth.
                      Got my vote!
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Don't know why, but I have a sudden strong aversion to bone broth...always end up dumping it, even though I used to like it.

Comment

Hot water with lemon.
                          Sandra
                          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

You could try bulletproof hot cocoa -- hot cocoa made with melted butter instead of milk. If you use clarified butter or ghee, it's not really dairy because the clarifying takes out the milk solids.

1 tablespoon cocoa powder + 2 tablespoons butter + 1 teaspoon cocnut oil (optional) + stevia or honey.

Don't know if that's enough caffeine.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I use the ground cacao beans 1/2 and 1/2 with ground coffee. They are best in a french press. World Berries Cacao Brew for $23/pound. Ouch. But good. You can reuse the grounds for either another cup of cacao or in recipes.

What is your allergic reaction? Have you always had it?
                              sigpic
                              Age 48
                              Start date: 7-5-12
                              5'3"
                              121lbs
                              GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                              Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I'm in trouble. I don't much like the Crio Bru. I don't want bone broth. I don't like Mate. I can't have much dairy or much coconut milk. Black tea gives me GERD and I don't like green or white. Between Sandy and house guests and kids I have been so stressed I went back to coffee. My eyes are swollen and itchy and I have eczema and a rash on my chest and I just have to find something that works for me.

Anybody tried that war-time coffee substitute, erm, sounds something like chicoree or soemthing?

Comment

Working...
                                X