No announcement yet.

Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying it's hokum. I'm saying it has to do with appetite control : satiety. Potatoes literally fill you up, while other foods not so much. It is this "filling up" that leads you to eat less and lose weight. That's it.
    That is, indeed, exactly why it works. Everyone already knows this. What are you even arguing?

If it really is just about filling you up, then you can do that and still get enough protein and fats to do this indefinitely. Even by eating potatoes in the mix.
    Almost certainly. But very few people on this forum have had success with that (what I described earlier as "plain old calorie restriction"). For some reason, people are having success with just potatoes. Don't know why. They just are. Why piss on it?

Don't you find it interesting how people have latched on to potatoes as some sort of weight loss talisman? It's as if I am attacking their religion here, when all I said was I intended to find out whether there was anything to it.
    Whaaaa? Who here thinks potatoes are a weight-loss talisman, or anything akin to a religion? Are you just making things up now? Look, just because it conveniently fits into the narrative you've concocted in order to feel superior doesn't mean it's true.

If you really want to discredit me and don't care how you go about it, there are better ways than just taking my replies out of context
    Wild stab in the dark: You watch a lot of Fox News, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
      Right?! I watched that for like five minutes straight before I reblogged it.
      Awwwwwesommme - totally made my day! Thank you
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Originally posted by pklopp View Post
        If it really is just about filling you up, then you can do that and still get enough protein and fats to do this indefinitely. Even by eating potatoes in the mix.
        This is what I have been doing on my off days. It works, I dont think quite as well as all tators, but still experimenting with that. But I have been trying to have some higher calorie days w/tators, and lower calorie days with all tators. I think when I was IF daily except to include some 48s weekly also, I was too full on fat and not getting enough calories. I still am not sure what I know about that, the whole starvation mode for too long an extended time and all, if that was more harm than good.

I just know that after months and months of low carb/high fat, and months and months of IFing, weight loss was crawling. And September of even higher fat, was actually a gain that only 48 hour fasting would take off. Fasting is okay, but sometimes I just want to eat. Some day I will worry about the housecleaning aspect but right now, I just want the weight off. And maybe also throw some real fasts in there now and then for housekeeping purposes. This helps me to feel like I am in charge, I can go w/o food, especially if I think all I can eat are tators when I might be sick of tators.

As far as using other foods, sure you could. But this is just so darn easy. I don't have to keep a gazillion different veggies in the frig and try to use them up before they go bad. I bought 50# of tators for $9 and they will keep for months in my safe room, just like we use to keep tators in our cellar when I was growing up.

Anyways... I am glad you are embracing the science of it.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

The principal reason that I want to ensure adequate protein intake is because insulin promotes protein synthesis ... which is a complete waste if there is no supplemental protein being ingested.

-PK
          Looking forward to your experiment. As far as I can tell from searching the interwebs, no one has ever used potatoes as a weight loss tool. There are some studies and stories, but they always added fat or something else.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
            d) As Matthew Berry would say, get off your high horse. Chill out. It's just a fun diet hack experiment. Nobody is killing themselves. You're certainly allowed to think it sounds stupid, and get all condescending and Poindextery about it. And then we as a collective are allowed to tell you you're acting like a douche.

I am NOT part of the collective of which you speak. pklopp is welcome and appreciated on my part.

Comment

Honestly I love a good experiment, but you really could chalk this up to "sensory-specific satiety" sensory specific satiety - Google Scholar and just call it a day.

The only way this becomes interesting to me is if we measure fat to lean mass and even throw in the glucose testing as otzi recommends (I actually disagree with him and believe the physiological resistance will reverse in a matter of 1-2 days, since it is a transient adaptation rather than pathological), but we have to leave out the protein.

Then we need to do the same with carrots (or whatever)....and of course we need to do the same thing with a specific animal (meat).

I think the satiety thing will work in all cases, but meat will provide the best results in terms of body composition. Just my thoughts.

Either way go for it Pklopp! I'll be checking in!
              Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I am NOT part of the collective of which you speak. pklopp is welcome and appreciated on my part.
                Cool. Describing a particular group of posters as a "collective" doesn't automatically include everyone who has ever posted on these boards. Didn't mean to make you feel included where you didn't want to be.

For the record, I welcome pklopp's scientific curiosity and am interested in the results of his experiments, and I, too, appreciate his willingness to spend more time thinking about and acting on his hypotheses. This stuff fascinates me, as it fascinates most, if not all, of us here. What I (and several others) did not welcome or appreciate was his condescending and belittling tone.

Comment

Well enough Heatseeker, but the douchbag stuff is adolescent and reinforces the critique of the almost religious fervor of these 2 threads about "tat/ers/ors"

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    I think the satiety thing will work in all cases, but meat will provide the best results in terms of body composition. Just my thoughts.
                    I havent looked, is there a thread on that? Sometimes I think I would like to try an all or most protein sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                      Well enough Heatseeker, but the douchbag stuff is adolescent and reinforces the critique of the almost religious fervor of these 2 threads about "tat/ers/ors"
                      Obviously you never read the Leptin Reset thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

Over 2000 pages of fervor!

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                        PK, you are a fast master. I am curious, how do you see this any differently than fasting which also is deficient in protein? Neither is talking forever.

A wiseman I once read, had this to say and I will change one word to tator, so it is not an exact quote, but close. I feel this could preface the tator thread as well.
                        I don't think it is different from fasting with respect to being protein deficient, given that fasting is completely devoid of all nutrients. The difference is obviously in the duration.

Someone on the monster thread posted that they were eating on the order of 700 calories of potatoes a day. That's 10g of protein. I could eat 9 large hardboiled eggs for dinner, which would give me 698 calories with 56 grams of protein and 48 grams of fat.

Now, how would this affect weightloss, since both diets are isocaloric? I would expect the potato "hack" to result in greater weight loss precisely because it is protein deficient. The body simply cannot synthesize protein from carbohydrates, at best, it needs to break down less essential protein containing tissues to synthesize more critical proteins. The longer you deprive the body of protein, the faster the weight loss due to increasing rates of protein cannibalization.

Ironically, this resembles stage three starvation. What is observed during long term fasts is first a period of glycogen depletion, followed by a period of increased gluconeogenesis, then a long term ketone adapted state that can last for weeks where the principal energy substrate is fat, and the brain is subsisting principally on ketones and some glucose produced from glycerol, pyruvate and lactate.

Eventually, however, the body runs out of fat stores, and turns to the only thing it has left to oxidize : protein. At this point, weight loss is extremely rapid and death shortly follows without immediate intervention.

The really interesting question here is with regards to rates of protein synthesis. When fasting, metabolism basically accommodates and your body goes into self-preservation mode, and you can endure prolonged periods of protein deprivation. If you are periodically spiking insulin with starches exclusively, you are also periodically spiking protein synthesis, although you are not providing the necessary substrate for it, which may result in increased catabolism. This is speculation on my part because I haven't seen any research in this direction yet.

It is for this reason that focusing on weight loss is grossly inadequate for judging the effectiveness of a dietary intervention.

I believe that the original potato diet proponent actually pulled the plug because he was losing weight at an accelerated rate towards the end of it!

Going back to the 9 egg diet, if you were accustomed to eating three meals a day, you might try having, say, two eggs for breakfast, three at lunch, and four at dinner time. I don't know how this would affect your satiety, but I think it might be worth a try. I think overall you would experience a better recomposition than by being protein deprived, albeit at a higher bodyweight.

-PK
                        Last edited by pklopp; 10-25-2012, 06:21 PM.
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

i fully agry these point
                          Paleo Cook Book

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
                            People are trashing you for your condescending and rude attitude, not because you're trying to delve deeper into the whole potato thing.

I'll just leave this here, it seems relevant.....

Also, if you search google images for the term "douche" it's just a bunch of pictures of guidos, which made me laugh.
                            Omg this is the funniest thing I've seen all day, lmao!!!!

Comment

The longer you deprive the body of protein, the faster the weighloss due to increasing rates of protein cannibalization.

Eventually, however, the body runs out of fat stores, and turns to the only thing it has left to oxidize : protein. At this point, weight loss is extremely rapid and death shortly follows without immediate intervention.

Going back to the 9 egg diet ....

-PK
                              But what about those that have plenty of fat stores? I would just think that protein cannibalization would be minimal in the presence of plenty of fat stores. No science behind my reasoning, just seems logical. Isn't that why we have fat, for a rainy day.

I had a cousin who lost a lot of weight on a hard boiled egg diet. I never knew the specifics, I was just a kid. Then the whole high cholesterol thing and never heard about it again.

Comment

..Are those water bottles made specifically for douching or enemas??!

The Old School 'Steak and Eggs' Diet for Fat Loss, Balanced Energy, and Increased Testosterone | BOLD & DETERMINED Nobody hear of this? ;-)
                                On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X