Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Paleo Carbs?

Hey...

Breakfast is lacking any carbs. I don't really want potato or sweetpotato as I have it else where in my diet.

What are some good carbs I can include?

Steve

I eat fruit for my early morning carbs. Berries, bananas, oranges, pomegranate, grapes and so on all taste great and contain plenty of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Carrots and other root veggies are also good with eggs and steak in the morning.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Kabocha squash or any other winter squash roasted with coconut oil and cinnamon. Delicious!

Comment

I eat avocado a lot in the morning. It is only about 13 carbs for a whole one.
        Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
        Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

fruit. squash. pumpkin. white rice or rice flour products.

Comment

plantains.

Comment

Yogurt is not that high in carbs, but it's a good way to get in your probiotics too, if you're dairy-tolerant (though you can make/buy it from coconut milk).
              Depression Lies

Comment

You shouldn't need carbs at breakfast.

Best sources of carbs for me are sweet potatoes, white potatoes without the skins, white rice, goat's/sheep's yoghurt (as a balanced source), bananas fried in coconut oil.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghjjf View Post
                  Hey...

Breakfast is lacking any carbs. I don't really want potato or sweetpotato as I have it else where in my diet.

What are some good carbs I can include?
                  Breakfast today was the same as supper yesterday...meat & veg with ample fat. Leftovers are great for breakfast, but ultimately you're going to repeat a food and/or food group within 24 hours. There's nothing wrong with that.

Carbs are in the veggies and fruit. If you mean "where are some good *starchy* carbs to replace the grain based breakfasts I used to eat," you're limited to what grows out of the ground.

Of course, if you can't get used to eating dinner or lunch for breakfast, you can skip bfast altogether.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Plantains are great. Boiled, fried, hashed, or mashed, they can be treated like potatoes (albeit with a different flavor profile) because of their high starch content. They aren't overly sweet like a lot of fruits though, so don't expect them to taste too great if eaten raw.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I don't want hunger pains during the day so I don't have any carbs in the morning, well, the few that are in eggs, uncured bacon and an ounce or 2 in red grapefruit juice to take a vitamin (Dr Fuhrman's for women). I save carbs (1/2 sweet pot, small amt fruit) for evening which help me sleep great. (BAS w/chicken or salmon for lunch and green tea.)

Comment

I hear livers got glycogen

Comment

Well, it's fall and I dote on seasonality, so I'd recommend squashes. What I do for breakfast with squashes is, I cook them the night before. Then I slice up a bit and fry it with bacon, onion, maybe sausage, carrot, celery and a tomato with SPICES. What type of spices is up to you. XD Salt and pepper of course! I call it my hash. Oh, you can also add an egg too, or use bone broth if you'd rather it were soupy. Ah, fun times!
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            I hear livers got glycogen
                            If only we had a like button.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I limit my carbs as much as possible but if I am needing the extra boost I will eat berries or nuts for breakfast. What about butternut squash with sweet flavors like cinnamon/nutmeg? Or if you eat fruits besides berries...apples, bananas...all super sugary. I don't eat banana but the rare apple revs me up in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X