No announcement yet.

But....I really dont like veggies....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay... I might not be the best person to answer your query 'cause I LOVE veggies... BUT here's some things that I enjoy that have gone over well with people who "don't like veggies."

Kale chips - rip up some kale, toss with olive oil to coat, season with sea salt (and whatever else you want to add - garlic, pepper, cayenne, etc.) - bake at 350F for about 15min (they should be crispy)

Stews or slow cooked meats - try this brisket or this beef shank stew or... any kind of low-slow meaty goodness with hearty veggies.

roasted veggies - pretty much anything you'd eat cooked... toss with some olive oil & seasoning, roast at 400F until it starts to brown. My current fave is Brussels Sprouts halved, tossed w/a chopped up serrano, olive oil, garam masala & sea salt, then roasted

Zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash with your favorite homemade pasta sauce

Cabbage: sauerkraut, rotkohl, Bubble & Squeak (if/when you do potatoes), roasted, grilled.

carrots cooked slowly in a saucepan (add some water) with a wee bit of maple syrup or honey until they're tender

Sweet potatoes of all preparations

Homemade Soups - I modified this gazpacho recipe to fit what I had on hand - it's become a favorite.... my sister has a killer squash recipe, I'll have to get it from her.

Omelets/Scrambles - I do a kind of stirfry sautee of whatever's in the fridge - spinach/kale, mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes (add in last so they don't get too soggy) - add some ham or bacon or chop up whatever leftover meat you have... make this the filling of an omelet or just scramble in some eggs.

Cheese and "cracker" plate - use sliced cucumber instead of crackers - this only works if you do dairy, of course... I've used cukes with lox (and cream cheese) too - YUM!
    One of our favorite "spreads" is cukes, tomatoes, peppers (bell & hot), arugula, liverwurst, salami, prosciutto, 2-3 kinds of cheese, maybe some carrots or celery, capers... possibly some dijon mustard... mmmm... there are usually crackers on the plate too, especially if we have guests, I just don't eat 'em.

Smoothies - coconut milk + ice + whatever floats your boat... but you'll never notice a large handful of spinach added for its nutrients.

I do salads - I prefer a spinach, baby arugula, or spring mix type of base, and then... I just load with whatever I can find - a nice hunk of protein (beef, chicken, fish), peppers, tomatoes, cukes, shrooms, brussels sprouts, avocado, sprouts (alfalafa, clover, radish, etc), parsnips, radishes, beets, carrots, celery, artichokes, hearts of palm, a handful of seeds/nuts.... endless possibilities. If you've ever had a salad you really liked at a restaurant or someone's home, find out what was in it and replicate

As for fruit? We usually keep clementines, apples, bananas, a bunch of unsweetened/no chemicals added dried fruit, avocados, tomatoes, and bags of frozen fruit (mostly berries), and I usually have some pineapple in the house, even though it's not the best fruit ever... it keeps me from eating my sweetie's cookies/bon bons/whatever on the rare occasion I want something really sweet. I'd eat 12 pineapples (pretty sugary, but still a REAL food) if it keeps me from dipping into some franken food junk. Bottom line: if eating fruit keeps you on plan, it's better than non-food.

Comment

Suck it up sunshine. Eat your veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsis View Post
        Suck it up sunshine. Eat your veggies.
        Had to chuckle hard... 'cause I thought that, too. But then, I am another veggie lover.

But seriously - my best advice is this: get a cookbook. Why not one of the Primal Blueprint cookbooks? And cook your way through each and every recipe. Get a second cookbook. And cook your way through that one - why not a Paleo cookbook? And repeat ad nauseum.

You definitely won't like each and every preparation you do. But you WILL hopefully improve your cooking skills, and I can practically guarantee that you also WILL meet at least one single veggie preparation that you could see yourself eating again. And voila, after a time, you have some new veggie friends and improved cooking skills. And perhaps some new pans and pots. Your local library has a huge cookbook section - use it.

I can understand truly hating a few veggies and never eating them again (I'm that way with chili peppers and the hubby is an enemy of the sweet potato), but the wholesale "I hate veggies" thing is just inexperience. Get thee to a really, really good restaurant (or more) and eat their vegetables - it'll be an epiphany for your taste buds.

One of the things I tell my kids: it isn't the vegetable you don't like, it is that particular recipe (way of cooking it). Because some recipes really are simply abominations on the guiltless vegetable concerned.

I'll give you a couple of examples of ways I won't eat some vegetables (that I normally really enjoy):
        - canned mushrooms (booger balls IMHO)
        - boiled zucchini (my great-grandmother's way of cooking it - I gagged at the sight of it, and my mother promised me that she would protect me to the death from having to eat it)
        - canned spinach

BUT, these same veggies, if served to me like this: crispy-sauteed mushrooms, marinated and then grilled zucchini, and fresh spinach sauteed in bacon fat, are so far removed from the ugliness above that it is unreal. See my point?

Any vegetable at all can be steamed, stir-fried, baked, roasted, made into soup, pureed, grilled, sauteed, stuffed, hidden in stuff like stew (how my special needs daughter learned to like a lot of things - finely diced and cooked in copious amounts of BEEF stew), juiced, eaten raw, lacto-fermented, smothered in cheese, dried until crisp and eaten instead of potato chips... the varieties are nearly endless. You said yourself that your vegetable experience was limited - so expand it!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

One of my favorite ways to prepare veggies that I've never seen anyone except myself mention is to cook them along with whatever ground meat you want. They absorb the fat from the meat, so they suck in a nice meaty flavor that may make them easier for you to handle. This method is exceptionally good for those nice, leafy greens like kale, mustard green, turnip greens, arugula, spinach, ect...

Toss some eggs in the pan after they've been beaten together and viola! Quick, easy, primal pseudo-casserole/fritter thingy.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

LOL.... I totally understand where you are coming from. I grew up in a house where processed peas and potatoes were the only veg. ever served. My Mother was fond of saying that she was made to eat some when she was little and would never do that to us. I have also never understood the possible liking for veg. but I have to say, since cutting out reg. potatoes, all grain and limiting fruit, I have started to really experiment in the ways listed here and been actually shocked to have started to like some veg. I would have never touched before. Parsnips is the latest, it makes great mash and fries. Roasted beets are yum too. I even (shock of all shocks) ate a couple of brussels sprouts..... from a recipe that was spiced and tossed in bacon fat and bacon pieces. Soups are also a great way to get some nice veggies in for lunch, just made a tasty butternut ginger squash one last night for lunches this week. So feel adventurous, you never know what will happen. Like me you may start to actually like some.
            Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
            Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
            Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Hey mcompton1973, I see you're from Ashland! I'm from Lincoln! Nice to see other Nebraskans on here.

I didn't like any veggies either when I started. I'd eat romaine salad mostly. But my tastes have changed, took about 4-5 months. Some things I still don't like (onions) but I keep trying new ones, even if I tried them long ago and didn't like them because who knows? I may like them now.

And kale chips are the most delicious thing ever. I make mine with bacon grease and tons of garlic powder.

Comment

Working...
              X