Any thoughts on almond cheese

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on almond cheese

I have been totally dairy free since going primal 6 weeks ago. I feel great but a friend of mine has just brought up the subject of almond cheese. I have not tried it but was just wondering what the general consensus was on the subject. I always find the information that you all share very enlightening so thanks for your feedback.

Almond was not intended to ever be made into cheese. Imagine the amount of processing and the chemicals added to make a nut into cheese...no better than soy cheese IMO. Run, don't walk away from it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I agree with Damiana -- you'd be better off with real, whole milk, raw cheese once in a while, unless you're sensitive to dairy.
      Misti
      Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
      ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
      Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

Ditto - I used to eat that stuff (assuming you're talking about store bought), until I started paying attention to the ingredients; then I ended up throwing it out and not even finishing it.

Comment

I've made it. It tastes good. You can add any seasonings that you want. I use the almond meal left over from making my own almond milk, lemon juice, salt and agar agar or unflavored beef gelatin. I don't see any difference eating homemade almond cheese or eating almond butter.
          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
            I've made it. It tastes good. You can add any seasonings that you want. I use the almond meal left over from making my own almond milk, lemon juice, salt and agar agar or unflavored beef gelatin. I don't see any difference eating homemade almond cheese or eating almond butter.
            Agree, neither is fit food
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

The only good thing can say for it is that it is slightly less gross than tofu cheese.

Comment

If you've made it yourself using pronounceable ingredients, then that's great. I'm talking about the processed and packaged stuff, though.
                F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                  If you've made it yourself using pronounceable ingredients, then that's great. I'm talking about the processed and packaged stuff, though.
                  I guess I never even considered eating the store-bought version. I was just looking for a more palatable way to eat the left over almond meal from making almond milk. It just seemed like a waste if I threw it in the garbage. Now I sometimes just feed it to the chickens.

Comment

Wait! You found a use for the almond meal leftover from making almond milk? Does it work with coconut meal leftover from making coconut milk?
                    Misti

Comment

Originally posted by Misti View Post
                      Wait! You found a use for the almond meal leftover from making almond milk? Does it work with coconut meal leftover from making coconut milk?
                      Not sure. Although, you know how fine it is after making the milk, couldn't you just dry it and use it again as a 'breading' say like for shrimp or something? I've also dried the almond meal in my dehydrator and used it to top salads, yogurt, etc..

If you find a tasty way to repurpose the coconut meal, let me know cuz as of now, I'm feeding that to the chickens too. I did think about putting it in some primal ice cream recipe but then thought that I wouldn't like the texture. I suppose it could be used for coconut shrimp

Comment

I'd much rather eat real cheese from a pastured animal. Something about "cheese" made from nuts bothers me, much in the same way that nut "flour" bugs me.
                        Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                        CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

It might be a good way to re purpose left over almond meal but I don't think it should be called cheese.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Yeah, it's very fine -- and we use a little of it in cooking, but I'm hard pressed to use two cups a week, and we have no chickens.
                            Misti

Comment

I have no opinion either way, but every time I see the title of this thread, my brain conjures teeny tiny people trying to find the udders on the almonds they're going to milk for the cheese.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X