Primal Gu/Powergel??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Gu/Powergel??

Anybody have any recipes for a homemade primal version of Gu?

Is there a search function for this forum? I looked around, but couldn't find one.

Thanks.

That stuff is mostly sugars. I guess a spoonful of honey would be a pretty close substitute. Or a banana - they're more portable.

Comment

1) What, praytell is Gu/Powergel?

2) Search function is the same as searching the site. The search bar will search whatever part of the site you are currently in (home or the forum).

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Comment

@ JohnOTD:

http://www.guenergy.com/products/gu-energy-gel/ingredients-benefits

It's basically a caffeinated maltodextrose ooze with electrolytes in a packet.

Comment

Ack! No thank you!

May I suggest pemmican instead?

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Comment

I just eat organic raisins. You could try blending them with some water to make a paste if you want something more like Gu. Much less expensive, a whole lot healthier and better tasting than Gu.

I tried Gu a few times and thought it was horrible stuff. It's like eating toothpaste.

bruce b.

Comment

true story, and it just happened:

my coworker's a swimmer, i'm a cyclist, so we end up talking a lot about nutrition. he claims he's 8% BF but he has a double chin. that is neither here nor there.

anyway, he came into my office excitedly telling me about how PowerBar now has these little bite size pieces of their power gel and how awesome they are.

i said, "you know what also works? real food."

sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

I'm a little confused about why you need a Gu substitute. Are doing long workouts and unable to stomach solid food? Are you looking for a way to quickly reload carbs after intense work?

Unsweetened apple sauce might work in a pinch as a high sugar, squeezable, source of fuel, but you're better off, I think, skipping the concentrated sugary stuff altogether.

Comment

A mixture of almond butter and honey might give you a boost, and it certainly would be "Gu-like" in texture.

Comment

We have a group of people who are training for the Eugene Marathon. One of our members is now "hard core" paleo/primal and she would prefer to make her own fuel for the race instead of using commercially available stuff. Me, I'm totally okay with using the commercially available stuff. 80/20 right? I use these things a few times a year, I tolerate them well and I actually find them quite tasty.

Thanks for the Search info. Didn't realize it just searched the page you were on. Good to know.

Comment

Having said what I just said about the 80/20 thing, I actually might try some of these homemade concoctions to see if I find something I like better than Gu. I would prefer to use something more primal, but 2 1/2 hours into an event, that hit of warm chocolate Gu is kind of nice

Wonder how sweet potatoes with some apple sauce and a bit of protein powder would do...hmmmmm....

One more question - how do I add a profile photo?

Comment

I don't do the gu, but I've wanted to try the ground chia seeds in water ever since I read about them in Born to Run.

Comment

Weeeeelllll, guess my previous post on getting a profile photo is now null...haha

Comment

I bring dried apricots with me when I'm out on the trail for long periods.

Comment

Go here to add a picture. It's pretty self-explanatory from there.

My opinion would be to ditch the Gu and try to make something from real food as others have been suggesting. In the end it's all up to your goals and how "hardcore" you want to be with your diet. haha

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X