Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know your daily caloric intake? I don't count calories but....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know your daily caloric intake? I don't count calories but....

I have a real good feel for how many calories are in my meals. I average 2000 - 2500 a day....... and somehow, I GAINED 6 pounds over the last 5 days, and that just doesn't seem possible. That would be eating several thousand calories a day more than I eat, for each of the last 5 days, and trust me, that didn't happen.

I didn't cheat other than one SMALL bite of a banana muffin I made. ( I made 12 muffins because the bananas were going to go bad. I was planning on giving them away, so I took a small bite of one muffin just to make sure they weren't terrible, and then fed the rest of that muffin to my dogs ).

No extra salt was eaten.....

I'm clueless here on this.... I don't think it had to do with caloric intake.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Can you provide us of a week's food intake?
    Also, what are your activity levels?

There is also glycogen replenishment to consider, as well as muscle gain.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Seriously, "guessing" how many calories are in your meals when you want to be strict is nearly impossible, especially when you use dense sources of calories like added fats.
      Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
      (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
        Seriously, "guessing" how many calories are in your meals when you want to be strict is nearly impossible, especially when you use dense sources of calories like added fats.

Not for me.
        Start Date 9.24.12
        Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
        CW - 271 pounds
        First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

When i was at my heaviest, in the 220-250 range, my weight could fluctuate 5-8lbs easily in a day. When I got under 200, I could fluctuate 3-4lbs, now at 160 I rarely fluctuate more than 1-2lbs.

I heard it explained that as your fat cells give up fat, but are still there, they can easily take on water. Eventually your fat cells die off and the water weight fluctuations won't be as dramatic. Just say to yourself "it's only water, it's only water".

No way possible you can gain 5lbs of fat in 1 day even if you ate 17,500 calolries in one sitting. Your body is designed to handle short-term overeating through a mechanism called overeating thermogenesis. It would eventually catch up, but not in a day or two.

Comment

It is absolutely amazing how much fluid your body will hold in response to a small amount of grain, if you haven't been eating grain for awhile.

I blame the muffin all the way.

In three days, it will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
              It is absolutely amazing how much fluid your body will hold in response to a small amount of grain, if you haven't been eating grain for awhile.

I blame the muffin all the way.

In three days, it will be gone.
              Less, than even a full bite's worth? Less than an ounce?
              Start Date 9.24.12
              CW - 271 pounds
              First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

I do think you can easily gain this kind of weight in water, seriously, especially when you're overweight.
                I have hormonal problems and I can gain 10 lbs in a day.
                Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
                (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

^ I completely agree. The larger you are, the more weight you can easily gain and lose through water retention and not even know it. Don't look at the scale, keep eating and working out and let the inches lost and the way your clothing fit be a better guide to your progress.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Meh, I'm 5'9" male and can fluctuate from 158-164 on a regular basis.

Comment

I would, personally, start counting calories. It's not that difficult a task, and there are plenty of online things that will help you calculate.

I do know how much I eat -- but it's a rough estimate. Anytime someone asks, I pop over to fit day and do a calculation. DH helps me, because he's better at telling me the volumes "oh, that was more like 6 oz steak, not 5" and so on. It's usually 1500-1700 calories per day (female, 5 ft 7, not as active as i'd like to be). in more active times, it goes up. It rarely goes down. sometimes my body naturally alternate-day fasts.

Anyway, it's not wrong to count, and if this concerns you, you might as well give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Papa View Post
                        I have a real good feel for how many calories are in my meals. I average 2000 - 2500 a day....... and somehow, I GAINED 6 pounds over the last 5 days, and that just doesn't seem possible. That would be eating several thousand calories a day more than I eat, for each of the last 5 days, and trust me, that didn't happen.

I didn't cheat other than one SMALL bite of a banana muffin I made. ( I made 12 muffins because the bananas were going to go bad. I was planning on giving them away, so I took a small bite of one muffin just to make sure they weren't terrible, and then fed the rest of that muffin to my dogs ).

No extra salt was eaten.....

I'm clueless here on this.... I don't think it had to do with caloric intake.
                        First of all, a small bite of muffing won't give you a 5lb weight gain.

Second, if you gained 6 pounds over the last 5 days, it might have been from the 5 days before last. Sometimes there is a lag time both for losing and for gaining.

Thirdly, almost nobody can guess at their calories accurately. That's why I no longer bother.

The most effective thing I think you can do is to eat less. If that results in weight loss, great. If it doesn't, then maybe you need to eat a little less than that. If you end up starving and binging, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You might try lifting weights or walking an hour or two a day, too. I once knew an 80-year-old lady skinny as a rail who had once been obese. She lost the weight and kept it off. Her secret was no flour, no sugar, three meals a day, nothing in between, walking for two hours every day and lifting weights. She had kept the weight off for decades.

Oh, and last week I achieved caffeine intoxication after for the prior week drinking a mug of black french press coffee each day. By the weekend I could no longer sleep well. By Monday I felt wretched. I was all puffed up and anxious. I cut way way back on the coffee to almost nothing and by the end of the week my stomach was flat again and I could sleep again. Lots of things can puff you up.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          First of all, a small bite of muffing won't give you a 5lb weight gain.

Second, if you gained 6 pounds over the last 5 days, it might have been from the 5 days before last. Sometimes there is a lag time both for losing and for gaining.

Thirdly, almost nobody can guess at their calories accurately. That's why I no longer bother.

The most effective thing I think you can do is to eat less. If that results in weight loss, great. If it doesn't, then maybe you need to eat a little less than that. If you end up starving and binging, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You might try lifting weights or walking an hour or two a day, too. I once knew an 80-year-old lady skinny as a rail who had once been obese. She lost the weight and kept it off. Her secret was no flour, no sugar, three meals a day, nothing in between, walking for two hours every day and lifting weights. She had kept the weight off for decades.

Oh, and last week I achieved caffeine intoxication after for the prior week drinking a mug of black french press coffee each day. By the weekend I could no longer sleep well. By Monday I felt wretched. I was all puffed up and anxious. I cut way way back on the coffee to almost nothing and by the end of the week my stomach was flat again and I could sleep again. Lots of things can puff you up.

I can. I really can. I have kept offline and online journals for YEARS, and I have worked in many food enterprises, so I know portion sizes, calories in foods, yadda yadda yadda. Only way I don't know is if someone else makes it. If I make it, I know the calories. I can't tell if people have hidden calories in what they make.
                          Start Date 9.24.12
                          CW - 271 pounds
                          First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

I count. I take about ten minutes in the morning with my coffee to plan my day's meals and the calories from such (low tech - I use a steno pad). I know that's slippery since calorimeters are such flighty creatures, scales also. What I can't know is how many of those calories I actually absorb, but counting intake is a decent guideline for many people (not all people).

I keep a food journal - probably takes another 5-10 min per day. I write it down right after I eat so I don't have to guess or try to remember.

Planning gives me a guideline so I don't need to guess at each meal if I'm going over a given number. The journal keeps me in tune with various things like how my body responded to a new food if there was one, how I'm emotionally responding to my environment with food, etc. It also keeps me honest.

It's a little difficult at first, but soon you pretty much memorize the calories in the foods you eat often. Trackers work also, but I can do my little food plan faster by hand ymmv.

I also think that measuring is important for some overweight people. The reason is that if we really knew or sensed the appropriate amount of food we needed to stay healthy, we most likely wouldn't have ended up overweight in the first place. Again just my opinion, but measuring spoons and cups, and food scales take the guess work out of portion control.

If you eat out a lot, this will be harder for you. I don't, so it's just habit now.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

On any given day, I am somewhere between 1,500 to 2,000 calories. I've become a good judge of what that looks like on my plate after tracking carefully for quite sometime after I started in on then primal diet. Now I barely have to ever check intake levels as it's sort of become second nature to me.

Of course, occasional exceptions are made, for special occasions, where I may go over this amount.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X