Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know your daily caloric intake? I don't count calories but....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never counted calories and don't ever plan to. Sounds exceedingly tedious to me whether it takes 5 minutes per day or longer. I eat (primal) until I'm full three/four times per day and the weight just keeps falling off. When it stops I'll know I'm at my optimal weight and that's good enough for me.

Comment

There is a really good book about calories here by the way. I would link right to the page or mention the title but it's got a naughty word. You'll find it. stumptuous.com
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        There is a really good book about calories here by the way. I would link right to the page or mention the title but it's got a naughty word. You'll find it. stumptuous.com
        Yeah, I read F*** Calories - like everything Krista does, it's awesome. It's really a breath of fresh air and a nice way of snapping out of all the regimented bull we tend to stuff ourselves into. I highly recommend it for anyone frustrated by weight loss.

Comment

the bit of the muffin had nothing to do with this. nothing at all. and like you said earlier, unless you are eating thousands of calories extra every day, you didn't gain 5lbs of fat. more than likely, its water weight or glycogen replenishment. have you eaten more carbs than normal lately? if you had gone through a period of lower carb eating, followed by a few days of higher carb eating, then this could be the culprit. if you legitimately tracked things, then you would know this.

and please, stop kidding yourself about being able to eyeball portion sizes. its inconceivable that you will accurately eyeball a tbsp of oil, or 8oz of steak, or 1 cup of veggies every single time. and those slight variations can make a world of difference. being slightly over on your measurements, 3 meals a day, plus a snack or two could make up 500 calories easily, totally sidetracking your weightloss efforts. people are here to help you. don't live in denial

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post

and please, stop kidding yourself about being able to eyeball portion sizes. its inconceivable that you will accurately eyeball a tbsp of oil, or 8oz of steak, or 1 cup of veggies every single time.
            OK, but I can. LOL.
            Start Date 9.24.12
            Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
            CW - 271 pounds
            First Goal - 255 by 2013
            Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
            Other Goal - to get off some medications
            Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
            NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Papa View Post
              OK, but I can. LOL.
              excuses like that probably got you weighing 285 in the first place. to each their own. good luck

Comment

its inconceivable that you will accurately eyeball a tbsp of oil, or 8oz of steak, or 1 cup of veggies every single time. and those slight variations can make a world of difference. being slightly over on your measurements, 3 meals a day, plus a snack or two could make up 500 calories easily, totally sidetracking your weightloss efforts. people are here to help you. don't live in denial
                I thought I could eyeball an 8oz steak. After all, I looked up online what it looks like. Then I ordered one in a restaurant this weekend. Holy crap that is a tiny steak!
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I thought I could eyeball an 8oz steak. After all, I looked up online what it looks like. Then I ordered one in a restaurant this weekend. Holy crap that is a tiny steak!
                  thats what i mean. and no matter how accurate a person thinks they are, they aren't 100% every time. if someone is trying to count calories/track intake, eyeballing is a terrible idea. and trying to convince the world that you're a pro at it, when they're 100lbs overweight is just sad

Comment

It takes practice in estimating calories. After weighing various foods for an amount of time, it gets easier to eyeball. Sometimes you have to go back to weighing to calibrate your "calorie eye".

Comment

The only thing I seem to be able to guesstimate with any accuracy is 5-1/3 oz of ground meat. I guess after a couple of years of portioning out three-to-a-pound burgers to freeze, my hands have some muscle memory. But I still weigh them to double check.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I am not very good at guessing anything, especially meat. I always get about 6 or 7oz for a portion, thinking it should be about 3 so I am always shocked when it is more :P

And I never really look at it either, so I can learn what it looks like. I keep my scale right there, so it is easy enough just to use it. I also use measuring cups as serving spoons.

Lately, I have been trying to use "grams" on my scales though, rather than ounces.
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I find a ballpark awareness of calorie intake useful but don't count or stick to a regimen, so whether I have a calorie deficit or surplus at the end of each day is pretty organic.

I am focusing on the bigger picture.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Get a small food scale, it will change your thinking on how much you're really eating. Even if you only do it for a few days, it can be an eye opener. You came here for advice, stop telling everyone you can ballpark it when it takes all of a couple of minutes to write it down exactly. Don't forget stuff like fruits/veggies, oil/butter used to saute, creams, sauces, dressings, etc. It adds up quick. Obviously this isn't primal, but one packet of Chick Fil A sauce has 140 calories, 13g fat, and 6g sugar. I used to eat 3-4 of those packets in one sitting in my pre-primal days. And it's easy to forget/not count them because it doesn't sound like much compared to your actual food. My "ballpark" guess in my pre-primal days was 3000-4000 cals per day, and when I took the time to start calculating exactly, it was more like 5000-6000. A pretty "duh" moment for me.

On the side of gaining/losing 4-5 lbs in a day, that happens all the time. It's definitely water weight.
                            -Chuck

Comment

I use myfitnesspal.com to help get an idea of what proportions of fat/protein/carbs I'm eating. When guessing portions i tend to lean higher than lower. I strive for right around 2000 calories a day depending on my workout. Heavy lifting days get more protein and a few hundred more calories.
                              ----------
                              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

thats what i mean. and no matter how accurate a person thinks they are, they aren't 100% every time. if someone is trying to count calories/track intake, eyeballing is a terrible idea. and trying to convince the world that you're a pro at it, when they're 100lbs overweight is just sad
                                LOL, but I can.... It was part of what I used to do for a living.

And 100 pounds has nothing to do with what I can do.... except eat more than I should have. And I am not trying to count calories... never said I was. In fact I said specifially that I wasn't.

But hey, YOU know what I can do better than I know what I can do. Right?
                                Start Date 9.24.12
                                Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
                                CW - 271 pounds
                                First Goal - 255 by 2013
                                Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
                                Other Goal - to get off some medications
                                Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
                                NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

Working...
                                X