Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No questions, just venting frustration .. maybe other women can relate ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are a size 6 at 23% body fat. You sound healthy and attractive.

Weight means nothing. Would you rather be a skinny fat 125 and a size 6?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by nuprimal View Post
      Long time lurker, first time poster here as your post is the first to truly inspire me to register and respond.

My measurements match yours in that I am female, 5'5", and also go between a size 4 and 6, but my weight is 116 and BF hovers right around 14% . I have to tell you that keeping it at 116 is actually quite difficult for me as I have lost over 100lb since going primal and it seems like my body just keeps wanting to lose, even with getting all the cals I need or can eat. I know, I shouldn't complain. But at some point I did start to because I see myself getting closer to being considered "underweight"....even though I feel great!

Long story short, if your goal was to get into a size 4 and you've accomplished it, that's what matters. I'd say being able to do that at what is considered normal weight and BF (or even a little above) for our height is something I wish I could do!
      Hi nuprimal - Welcome, and thanks for responding! 116 pounds at 5'4"? See, I don't understand how I can have 40 pounds on you and be this size. Although I think perhaps a size 6 in United States is bigger than elsewhere.

I just did calculations and at 23% bodyfat, I have 120 pounds of lean mass. Perhaps I am just big-boned with muscle and never fit into what seems "normal" for a 5'4" woman?
      "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
      ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        I found this chart online on how to determine your frame size. Calculating body frame size: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia Image I'm right at the borderline of medium and large, my wrist is exactly 6.5". I do believe that not only do people have bigger bones, but if you've been doing paleo or primal long enough, your big bones are going to be way denser. Plus any muscle you have is probably denser, too.
        Oh wow, thanks for that - I never accounted for the fact that I might have a large frame! I j just measured my wrist and it is 6.25" - right on the border of large also for a woman my height. I just measred my waist and it's 29", which I believe was a size 8 back in the day, but now when I go into a store size 8's are huge on me.
        "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
        ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
          If/when I ever get back near 156 (and I don't have a scale so we may never know for sure), I will probably be a size 8 or 10. Feel better now? Go ahead and compare yourself to me and feel superior if that helps you sleep at night. Doesn't bother me one bit.
          LOL, thank you for letting me feel superior.
          ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

You know, you could just actually be big-boned. It sounds like an excuse, but it's really possible. My chiro was amazed when he showed me my x-rays! He said my bones were huge, and just for comparison's sake, he held up an x-ray of another client who was a big, burly man - my bones made this guy look like a little old lady. And i'm 5'4", and you wouldn't think i had an abnormally large frame to look at me. But i'll take my big, thick strong bones over a lower number on the scale any day! Especially now that i'm lifting heavy...

Comment

I have always weighed a lot for my size. It used to bug me long ago, but I am over it now.
              I am 5'7" and have weighed anywhere from 140 to 230 at the end of my last pregnancy and never wore a "plus" size. I am just dense and so are you. It is actually a good thing. You can surprise people with your strength. And you will look better at 80 if you have a thick, strong frame.

156 is a size six for me too. I hope to get back there in just a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                156 is a size six for me too. I hope to get back there in just a couple months.
                Oh thank gawd! You and others who have chimed in here have made me feel better about things. I mean jeez, I have a 29 inch waist which isn't tiny, but not exactly in the obese category either, ya know?

I think also where I get thrown off is reading success stories in magazines and online and stuff. I'll often see a 5'4" woman who was 160 pounds "before" and she is WAY bigger than I am! So I guess I am just a sturdy girl and I just deal with it ...
                ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Being sturdy is awesome. I have never broken a bone in my life. I have to clip my fingernails with a toenail clipper. I'm not a waif and never will be. When I'm old I'm not going to be hunched over and frail. I'm going to be kicking ass. Not sure what I'll be kicking ass at, but I will be kicking it.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Being sturdy is awesome. I have never broken a bone in my life. I have to clip my fingernails with a toenail clipper. I'm not a waif and never will be. When I'm old I'm not going to be hunched over and frail. I'm going to be kicking ass. Not sure what I'll be kicking ass at, but I will be kicking it.
                    Hear, hear!! I resemble that remark!!

Comment

Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                      Hi nuprimal - Welcome, and thanks for responding! 116 pounds at 5'4"? See, I don't understand how I can have 40 pounds on you and be this size.
                      I still don't see why it matters. The scale is irrelevant.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

5' 2" and 117 here and I wear between a 6 and 8 in pants. I would love to wear a 4 in pants, seems like I should be able to but my hips say no way! I am fine boned and carry all my weight in the lower abdomen and hips. From what you've described I bet you look great! Though if you're really wanting to know why your weight isn't changing you may want to investigate your hormone levels you may be estrogen dominant and need more progesterone. Estrogen dominance can effect your weight.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Sandra in BC;983905]I still don't see why it matters. The scale is irrelevant.
                          It shouldn't matter, but to my lizard brain it does.

I think all the obsessimg over numbers ... grams of protein, calories, prcent bodyfat, reps completed, pounds lifted, yada blah blah, is making me stressed out. I am going to take a little vacay from monitoring everything and then reassess.
                          ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Sounds to me you are really focusing on what you aren't, and not the magnificence you are. You sound great, have a body I'd dream of- spend some time feeling proud of yourself x

Comment

I think the fact that you DO workout and lift weights plays into it. Honestly, scale-wise, I was my thinnest when i was eschewing most exercise. I dont know that I was really flabby or anything at the time, but I definitely didnt have great muscle composition and had a lot more fatigue. Being scale skinny isnt all it's cracked up to be!
                              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Let's face it...it's either a vanity issue or a health issue. The scale says nothing about either. No one knows how much you weigh- you either look fit and healthy or not.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X