Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colostrum for gut healing and immune system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colostrum for gut healing and immune system?

Has anyone experienced benefits from taking colostrum for GI healing and immune system rebuilding? I've heard positive reviews about the Symbiotics brand, but want to know personal experiences and if it is worth ordering.

Colostrum is from human breast milk.

Comment

Colostrum is produced by all mammals, not just humans.

Comment

Originally posted by future grogess View Post
        Colostrum is from human breast milk.
        It's from all mammals, actually, produced right before/after giving birth.

I have no idea if it would be beneficial, but the wikipedia page was a bit interesting.

Comment

I can speak from experience regarding the effects that it has for the immune system. I keep a couple of bottles of capsules in our cupboard at all times. We use it at the first sign of any little sniffle or cough. It seems to stop a cold in its tracks most of the time if it's used right away or at least shortens the length of it if you didn't take it right away.

This is where I order mine from Quantum Nutrition Labs at Quantum Colostrum. They don't have a lot of fillers or unnecessary ingredients. There's also some good info about it on there site. The potency of these seems to be better than other brands that I have tried.
          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Here is some detailed info on how it works so well for humans:
            http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-pre...ects_newborns/

Comment

Yes, i have experienced with Colostrum. Colostrum is a complete protein containing all essential Amino Acids, Fatty Acids and Glyconutrients.It is one of the best product for enhancing immune system. Colostrum also helps heal and restore injuries to the gastrointestinal lining. It inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria.

Comment

Will it aggravate a dairy intolerance?
                A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                  Will it aggravate a dairy intolerance?
                  Not sure. I get awful bloating from cow's milk myself, but haven't had any issues that I've noticed when I use either colostrum made from bovine or goat.
                  Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Patski, nice to see you around again. My quick searching came up with yes, it could potentially be an issue. If your intolerance is not an allergy, it might actually help, but an allergy would be exacerbated. It seems to depend on how "filtered" the colostrum is. I would think that the less processed, the better. Ditto to AuroraB: can you do goat's milk?

I recently tried some (bovine) colostrum with probiotics (Symbiotcs brand) and felt pretty good overall, but didn't help with my chronic constipation as far as I can tell. May resume with goat colostrum (Mount Capra brand) when I'm done with my current trial of senna teas.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      Patski, nice to see you around again. My quick searching came up with yes, it could potentially be an issue. If your intolerance is not an allergy, it might actually help, but an allergy would be exacerbated. It seems to depend on how "filtered" the colostrum is. I would think that the less processed, the better. Ditto to AuroraB: can you do goat's milk?

I recently tried some (bovine) colostrum with probiotics (Symbiotcs brand) and felt pretty good overall, but didn't help with my chronic constipation as far as I can tell. May resume with goat colostrum (Mount Capra brand) when I'm done with my current trial of senna teas.
                      Hiya Tasha

My cow's milk intolerance is a 'moderate' intolerance. I tend to get congested eating dairy.

The strange thing is, I'm currently in NYC and have been eating some dairy here and there and I haven't had the same symptoms as I do back home. Not to the same extent anyway. Weird, huh?

Is the stuff expensive? I probably won't be able to find it back home, because Canada is LAME.
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Colostrum is only useful if you are a baby animal of the same species.....

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                          Is the stuff expensive? I probably won't be able to find it back home, because Canada is LAME.
                          Can you use Vitacost? It's about $30 for 120 capsules of CapraColostrum. On their website (mtcapra.com), it's almost $40, or around $60 for 174g of powder (not sure how many servings that would be though). I'm going to get the 120 capsule bottle and try it out for a full month ("strenuous" dose is usually 3x the regular one, so this will actually only last 20 days).

Originally posted by fuzzylogic View Post
                          Colostrum is only useful if you are a baby animal of the same species.....
                          Tell that to my constipation, which improved while taking colostrum capsules.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

colostrum is high in sugar and fat. It will clean your gut. Mag citrate will do the same thing, give you a needed mineral, and not cost half as much.

Comment

Mag citrate doesn't do that for everyone. Myself included.

Tasha, I can use vitacost. I just wonder if I get slapped with some dumb fee because it may be considered 'dairy'.
                              A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Working...
                              X