Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is regular whole milk??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How bad is regular whole milk??

    I was using coconut milk to make my protein shakes, and "egg" shakes, but it is getting expensive, what would be cheaper alternative?

  • #2
    I use unsweetened almond milk

    Comment


    • #3
      Steak

      Comment


      • #4
        There's a whole range of opinions on this, and no easy answer. If dairy does not upset your digestion, then I'm inclined to say it's no big deal. Mark put out a post a few weeks ago about the spectrum of choices with meat, fish, veggies, etc., and IMO the best to worst would go: local, pastured, raw > local, pastured, pasteurized, un-homogenized > local, pastured, pasteurized, homogenized >> store-bought, organic >> store-bought, regular; and of course, whole > skim > NF.

        Check out Dr. Cate Shanahan's discussion of milk in Deep Nutrition.

        I tend not to use a lot of milk per se, but heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, and cheese - yep. Fortunate to live in a state that allows (begrudgingly) raw milk sales and has several venues closeby where I can get some.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
          There's a whole range of opinions on this, and no easy answer. If dairy does not upset your digestion, then I'm inclined to say it's no big deal. Mark put out a post a few weeks ago about the spectrum of choices with meat, fish, veggies, etc., and IMO the best to worst would go: local, pastured, raw > local, pastured, pasteurized, un-homogenized > local, pastured, pasteurized, homogenized >> store-bought, organic >> store-bought, regular; and of course, whole > skim > NF.

          Check out Dr. Cate Shanahan's discussion of milk in Deep Nutrition.

          I tend not to use a lot of milk per se, but heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, and cheese - yep. Fortunate to live in a state that allows (begrudgingly) raw milk sales and has several venues closeby where I can get some.

          I just need something to mix my powder or some eggs in, that will digest and release slowly. That takes water out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by samiamm View Post
            I just need something to mix my powder or some eggs in, that will digest and release slowly. That takes water out.
            That's my spectrum of choices, but if you're OK with rBGH and what homogenization does to the fats, go for the cheap stuff. If you can afford organic or best of all local raw, I think those are superior choices. JMO.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
              That's my spectrum of choices, but if you're OK with rBGH and what homogenization does to the fats, go for the cheap stuff. If you can afford organic or best of all local raw, I think those are superior choices. JMO.
              I wouldn't even know where to find local raw around here, is there any organic brand of any type of milk you can recommend??

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe someone else can offer an organic rec; I know there are some issues with Stonyfield, but that's what we usually get when buying store-organic.

                For local sources (some, not all, raw), check eatwild.com or localharvest.org.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                  Maybe someone else can offer an organic rec; I know there are some issues with Stonyfield, but that's what we usually get when buying store-organic.

                  For local sources (some, not all, raw), check eatwild.com or localharvest.org.

                  Wow, thanks for this!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Like Finnegans Wake, I recommend trying to find local, grassfed, raw dairy.


                    But if your only option is the grocery store, here is another resource: The Cornucopia Institute

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I read bad things somewhere about Horizon Organic's treatment of their cows. I buy Stonyfield whole milk yogurt (as a treat, I wouldn't advise relying too heavily on dairy for calories, I don't see it as healthy but as an indulgence that keeps me sane) because raw milk sales are illegal in Ohio and the area I live in is pretty down-and-out, not much demand for high-quality food; I'm lucky to find organic dairy at my local supermarket. Organic Valley sells pasture-raised cream I buy sometimes, I'm sure they sell milk, too.

                      I'm not sure I'd recommend adding daily milk drinking to your routine if you currently don't drink milk. I used almond milk til I noticed the slew of weird ingredients in it ("locust bean gum" etc.). I've been wanting to try hemp milk, anyone know anything about it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Whole milk is for baby calfs, and not designed for human consumption

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by samiamm View Post
                          I wouldn't even know where to find local raw around here, is there any organic brand of any type of milk you can recommend??
                          where to buy
                          Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                          READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

                          Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

                          and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It is not cheaper but I am really enjoying kefir with my protein powder lately. Typically, protein powder, kefir, half a banana, and some berries in the blender tastes amazing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If cow's milk is the option you're going for, the thing that got me to switch to at least bgh free half and half is this. BGH makes the cows produce more milk. This makes them prone to infections. Not only do these infections necessitate the use of antibiotices, but it gets pus in the milk. Yes pus. You can check out the USDA website; they admit it's there. It's not a lot, but once I knew that, I couldn't drink regular milk again. Since I only use half and half in the drinkable category of milk, I'm not prone to driving out into the country to try to find a farmer that would sell me raw milk which is illegal in my state anyway. So, I do the best I can by buying BGH free half and half.

                              I would check out the nutrition profiles of things like almond milk and rice milk. Though not as inexpensive as conventionally produced cow's milk, they work in things like smoothies and sauces. Once you find the one or two you like, you can use Amazon to order in quantity to save money.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                              B*tch-lite

                              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X