BARF diet is Paleo for Pets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you DinoHunter.

He has been getting ground turkey, lightly cooked to transition him, a little bit of beef tallow a day, sardines, ground beef (also lightly cooked). He eats the ground meat raw no problem. Will start him on organ meat and marrow soon.

Comment

Hey cool, glad to see there's a thread on this already! Was thinking of starting one on this topic, but not surprised someone already started one.

Been feeding my cat a combination raw/grain-free wet diet for about 4 of her 5 years. I made a video of her eating pork chops a few years ago, you can watch it here. She just loooooves pork chops!
      Kitty the Cat Eating Pork Chop - YouTube
      I can't think of a catchy journal title but click here anyway.

Comment

I'd advise that if you switch to raw meat to boil the meat lightly the first few days. Like with humans pets have issues switching cold turkey. it is advised to feed the boiled stuff for a week before turning to raw meat totally.

my cats are primal as well… they get boiled meat and grain free kibbled (I use Canagan - which is also available for dogs)
        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

My next question is, how MUCH to feed him..?

He is around 50lbs (I have to weigh him, was told 47lbs, but paperwork says 57lbs..). We are active, a mile walk today, and hikes/jogs. He is 1 year and two weeks. That is guestimated I believe, as he is a rescue from a shelter in Kentucky. He is definitely still a young dude, and I believe still growing some.

Comment

My rescued Pittie (what shelters/rescues did you approach, Elliott? I have never heard of a blanket age limit. What state are you in?) eats BARF and absolutely thrives. I discovered the diet due to some health issues she had when I first got her. The police found her in a dumpster and her immune system has struggled since.

She eats 2xday with occasional fasting. A typical meal could be a chicken breast (bone in, or equivalent size other meat) with some veggies (and the occasional fruit - apples, berries), and coconut oil. I don't feed her bones everyday although she always has bones to chewn on. She also gets a raw egg, with crushed shell, twice a week. I also do rounds of probiotics a few times a year. She's about 55lbs of muscle and love ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by JosieandBuster View Post
              My next question is, how MUCH to feed him..?

He is around 50lbs (I have to weigh him, was told 47lbs, but paperwork says 57lbs..). We are active, a mile walk today, and hikes/jogs. He is 1 year and two weeks. That is guestimated I believe, as he is a rescue from a shelter in Kentucky. He is definitely still a young dude, and I believe still growing some.
              General starting point is 2% of adult body weight but as hes still growing and fairly active I would probably start out a bit higher 2.5-3% body weight and then adjust as needed if you see him loosing/gaining weight (keeping in mind he may still be filling out so dont cut back food if hes just putting on muscle, staying within normal fitness range )
              Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
              X