Cooking eggs in bacon fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking eggs in bacon fat

Just curious, how much bacon fat do you guys cook your eggs in (if you eat eggs and bacon)?

I often cook 3 pieces of bacon, then pour off (and save) about 2/3 of the fat that's left, then scramble 3 eggs in the remaining 1/3. And if I cook eggs w/out first cooking bacon, I use about 2-3 teaspoons of fat.

But I eat them together much more than I eat eggs alone, so I often have a full container of fat and then end up throwing out the "extra" when I cook more bacon.

Does anyone leave ALL the grease for the eggs?

Any other ideas for what to do with the fat? I feel so guilty when I throw it away...

I did this weekend. ALL the fat from like 6 slices of bacon and MAN were the eggs GOOD :^)

Comment

Nah, I pour out the excess and then put the eggs in. The pan will still have more than enough bacon grease on it to cook the eggs. I figure I'm already getting a lot of fat in the 4-6 pieces of bacon I eat, so getting rid of the excess seems to make sense. Works for me, anyway.

Comment

I use a couple tablespoons of fat for the half dozen eggs I usually eat in a given meal, but I'm trying with modest success to gain weight.

I use bacon fat as a flavoring agent more than anything else. I highly recommend it for Mexican dishes. My favorite is chicken tortilla soup (with no tortillas and just enough beans to thicken the soup). It's just shy of paleo, but I think a cup of beans in a great big pot of soup isn't half bad as 20% goes.

Bacon fat is also CRUCIAL for any liver dish.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I don't pour out any of the fat. I cook the eggs into all of it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
          Current weight: 199
          Goal: 145

Comment

Whew, I thought I was going to be the only one Katt.

Comment

All the bacon fat for anything I make to go with bacon.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

I don't pour any of it out.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I usually pour off at least half the fat -- not because I don't want to cook the eggs in it, but because I want some leftover for cooking other things!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

When I cook bacon I use all of the fat to fry eggs, a steak, whatever. I use three strips of bacon.

I had a problem with "fear of fat," having avoided it like the devil for a couple of decades, and I use bacon and its grease for de-programming purposes.

Comment

Wait . . . what? Throwing it out? Why on earth would you do something like that? I keep a can next to my stove that I pour the bacon fat into. And then you can use the drippings to saute veggies, top veggies, pan fry steak, make dressing, rub into a chicken before roasting to make the skin crisp. . . .

Comment

I only throw any of it away if my storage container is already full.

I should try cooking a steak in it - that sounds good. I've only used butter before. (Well, besides grilling of course...)

My issue isn't fear of fat. It just that 2-3 tsp just "seemed" like the right amount to use. I guess I should just try it out with all the fat, see how I like it.

Comment

I actually don't like doing this - my eggs always turn out too greasy and brown. :/

Comment

Straight from bacon to eggs no fat discarded in the process

Comment

I cook all my bacon on the weekend to save time during the week. I keep all the drippings and use them as needed for eggs and whatever else I fry up during the week. I love bacon fat!

Comment

Working...
                              X