Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this even worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
    Because the fats contained in those oils are wonderfully healthy for you?

    I mean, vegetables are normally "naturally" fat free, and yet, we sauté them in coconut oil, douse them in butter, ghee, and olive oil... This is ok for veggies but not for meat?
    It's okay for either if that's your preference. But it's certainly not necessary. My preference is to enjoy the natural flavor of most things - for vegetables it's steamed and for lean meat it's grilled medium rare. No dousing of either in anything.

    Comment


    • #17
      I get some venison once in a while. You could have whoever makes it use the visceral fat to be ground with the meat and give you a good 80/20 even though its wild. Not much of an extra step AND far less wasteful...look at me ma I'm eating nose to tail!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Because the fats contained in those oils are wonderfully healthy for you?

        I mean, vegetables are normally "naturally" fat free, and yet, we sauté them in coconut oil, douse them in butter, ghee, and olive oil... This is ok for veggies but not for meat?
        wow.. the "if some is good, more is better" argument. to each their own i guess.. not sure how you prepare meat in your house, but in my house i never douse it in oil or fat. a little butter/bacon fat/coconut oil in the pan to cook, sure. no need to add excess oil to meat because its lean. like i said earlier, real meat is naturally lean. fats/oils/etc are basically condiments and cooking tools.

        Comment


        • #19
          I see a Livestrong.com bit that says 3 oz of rabbit contains 6.8 grams fat and another site that said the same portion contains about 7g total fat. Are you talking saturated fat only? It is high protein and rich in B12, B3 and selenium.

          There is more to meat than the fat content. But, since it is relatively low fat, by all means cook with bacon! Good combination.
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


          "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

          Comment


          • #20
            Rabbit is very lean--you can starve eating nothing but rabbit because it doesn't contain enough fat to sustain life. Luckily, we have a more varied diet than that. I have a local source for rabbit but I haven't had much success with it--it has either been tough and stringy or when I tried cooking it long and slow to make it tender it ended up so tender it was unpleasantly mushy.
            __________________________
            age 56, type 2 diabetes, swimmer
            low carb since 2006 thanks to Jenny, primal since Jan. 2012

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
              I see a Livestrong.com bit that says 3 oz of rabbit contains 6.8 grams fat and another site that said the same portion contains about 7g total fat. Are you talking saturated fat only? It is high protein and rich in B12, B3 and selenium.

              There is more to meat than the fat content. But, since it is relatively low fat, by all means cook with bacon! Good combination.
              I used cronometer.com and most definitely put in an entire pound.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                I see a Livestrong.com bit that says 3 oz of rabbit contains 6.8 grams fat and another site that said the same portion contains about 7g total fat. Are you talking saturated fat only? It is high protein and rich in B12, B3 and selenium.
                Fitday, Fatsecret, LoseIt and Sparkpeople all agree with Livestrong. It's about like chicken thighs.

                I just made a stew that contained (among other things) a pound of rabbit meat, 2T olive oil, 2T butter and 3/4C sour cream. That boosted the % fat quite a bit without just being fat for fat's sake.
                50yo, 5'3"
                SW-195
                CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
                  Fitday, Fatsecret, LoseIt and Sparkpeople all agree with Livestrong. It's about like chicken thighs.

                  I just made a stew that contained (among other things) a pound of rabbit meat, 2T olive oil, 2T butter and 3/4C sour cream. That boosted the % fat quite a bit without just being fat for fat's sake.
                  My father used to make rabbit stew that way; sour cream. Lots of sour cream.
                  sigpic
                  Age 48
                  Start date: 7-5-12
                  5'3"
                  121lbs
                  GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


                  "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                  Henri Frederic Amiel

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X