Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ate 3 apples today= 72 grams of sugar is that bad!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ate 3 apples today= 72 grams of sugar is that bad!?

I had three fuji apples today, is it bad to have that much fruit and 72 grams of sugar even if it is fructose?

I read an article by Chris Kresser that said fructose is not bad unless it is in the form of a liquid, and also if it is consumed as excess calories.

I also started breaking out this week, have been eating a lot of apples (went apple picking), and am wondering if there is a connection?

3 apples won't kill you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Tis the season. Enjoy the fruits and veggies of the harvest. I'm sure our ancestors wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Comment

Where are you getting that 3 apples is 72 grams of sugar? That seems really high, even for very large apples
        I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
          Where are you getting that 3 apples is 72 grams of sugar? That seems really high, even for very large apples
          True dat. It's nearly double the correct amount. Again, depending on the apple.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Comment

Plugged it into daily plate and thats what it gave me. I didn't eat any other sugar today

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
              I read an article by Chris Kresser that said fructose is not bad unless it is in the form of a liquid, and also if it is consumed as excess calories.
              Kresser speaks the truth. Listen to Kresser, for he is wise.

Comment

No. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with sugar, and traditional societies that eat diets high in sugar from whole foods are just as healthy and lean as traditional societies with lower carbohydrate intake. Think of it like this:

Apples =/= HFCS anymore than butter =/= soybean oil.

This is a phenomenal article to read and takes traditional societies with very high sugar intakes (>50% dietary calories from SUGAR) and shows that they suffer from no diseases of modern civilization.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures

Also worth a read:

Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?

Eat as many apples as you want. If they stall your weight loss, it's solely due to calorie intake. They're good for you, so enjoy.
                Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Thank you, Choco for being a voice of sanity. Many traditional societies would think it folly to eliminate a group of macro-nutrients and I can bet money on them not caring for carb counting.

If people think that fruit was not a part of our ancesteral diet, they should take a look at Denise Minger's post on wild "ancient" fruits: Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS

I personally do not like telling people what they should or should not do. What you put into your body is a personal decision, but one thing I can say is that the human body is designed to be resilient and adaptive. It being able to handle the moderate consumption of a variety of things is a sign of good health.

If you are not there yet, step back, take a deep breath, smile and then reevaluate. Three apples is definitely something Grok would have eaten at this time of year. They are not the enemy

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  No. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with sugar, and traditional societies that eat diets high in sugar from whole foods are just as healthy and lean as traditional societies with lower carbohydrate intake. Think of it like this:

Apples =/= HFCS anymore than butter =/= soybean oil.

This is a phenomenal article to read and takes traditional societies with very high sugar intakes (>50% dietary calories from SUGAR) and shows that they suffer from no diseases of modern civilization.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures

Also worth a read:

Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?

Eat as many apples as you want. If they stall your weight loss, it's solely due to calorie intake. They're good for you, so enjoy.

Comment

depends. I mean, when I add up all the veggies that I had today, I had 63 grams of carbohydrate, if I added 72 grams to that, then I'd be at 135g of carbohydrate today, which would be high for me considering my usual averages but really not big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

You're fine. Unless you notice some drastic change in your overall health, don't worry about it. If it makes you feel better, today I had two bananas, a mango, two cups of fresh-squeezed orange juice, some coconut water, and two servings of white rice. I wouldn't sweat three apples.

Comment

If it is in season and can be picked, dug or shot eat it.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by catbreu View Post
                          Thank you, Choco for being a voice of sanity.
                          You're thanking choco for being the voice of sanity by pointing out that there's nothing wrong with sugar, set against the backdrop of every other poster INSANELY saying there's nothing wrong with eating three apples?

Ok.

Comment

I think it depends on your genetics. If you're a pacific islander you can get away with eating more fruits but if you have some Eskimo in you for example, you can't get away with that much fruit.

It also depends on how much exercise you're doing on the day you consume that fruit. If you're sweating a lot in the gym or running vs sitting in an office chair all day.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                              You're thanking choco for being the voice of sanity by pointing out that there's nothing wrong with sugar, set against the backdrop of every other poster INSANELY saying there's nothing wrong with eating three apples?

Ok.
                              I think it's important to include some logic if you're making an argument and not just leaving a one-liner that provides no real substance. "Because I said so" is an appeal to authority - a logical fallacy. Explain your thought profess, include some data, post some links, etc. I think that's why she quoted my post. Even less productive is non-constructive criticism. Take note.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X