Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone lose better on higher carb levels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone lose better on higher carb levels?

Hey,
    After a year of being on the primal/paleo plan I cut out fruit and dairy to lose weight faster. I had a total of 40 pounds to lose and now am left with 28 pounds. Yes I lost really slowly over the course of a year.
    I am still only eating nuts, grass fed meats, eggs, and healthy oils. My weight loss has slowed down significantly.

I was just wondering if anyone had increased their carb level by adding fruit and the pounds started melting off again?

I am starting to wonder if this weight will ever come off?

Thanks guys for your help!!

I eat lots of fruit and veggies and I lose plenty of weight. My secret to weight loss is intermittent fasting. Not only does it help with cutting calories but it releases HGH and lowers your insulin as well making weight loss easy.
    Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
    Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

Adding carbs back into my diet made a huge difference for me in terms of fat loss. I eat fairly high carb by PB standards (100-150g range) and have seen better results at that level than when I was trying VLC. I eat fruit daily, often multiple portions such as a banana, apple, and berries, so 2-3 servings a day. I also eat sweet potatoes, white potatoes, starchy vegetables, and sometimes white rice or rice noodles since I tolerate rice well.

I don't think it's the magic solution for everyone, but if eating VLC hasn't worked and you've tried it for a while, you might benefit with adding more carbs back into your diet and tracking the results.
      If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

it releases HGH and lowers your insulin as well making weight loss easy.

Comment

I've seen steady weight loss in the 75-100g range (~40% of calories). Early on, I'm sure I was in the 150-200g range, though I wasn't tracking nutrients at the time. I don't eat a lot of nuts. Compared to meat, fruit and vegetables, I think they are a lot of calories for the nutrients.
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

So far I have had the most success eating lower carb... under 50, on most days with a high carb day, maybe around 100, thrown in once a week or so. The carbs are usually in the form of potatoes, also apples lately since its fall

Comment

Long-term low carb with no carb-up days results in weight stagnation for me. I tend to stagnate as it were, in that my metabolism slows a bit. But when I notice this happening, that's my sign that I need a carb-up day. This normally only happens once every two weeks or so, however, and after I do it, things go back to normal for a while and I resume my typical VLC diet. It's more about an occasional metabolic "kick" for me. If I do higher levels of carbs for a few days in a row, I definitely pack the weight back on which is not a good thing.

Maybe you just need to follow my plan and eat VLC normally, alternating with the occasional day of upping carb levels?
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

*raises hand* For me, I needed more carbs to feel decent again, which helped me lose a little weight....
                Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
                Pre-preg weight: 130
                Current: 145 (eek!)
                Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
                Started Primal in May '12.
                My Blog
                Join the Revolution!

Comment

Not even Atkins himself recommended staying low card for an extended period of time. He said that it messes with the thyroid and lowers metabolism. No fun. And I can say from personal experience low carb only worked for a short period of time. Since realizing how much of a bad ideia it was for me, I stopped counting or caring, and started listening to my body. Some days it is not that much, others it is all I eat. I've never felt or looked better.

Comment

I lost weight pretty consistently regardless of whether I was in ketosis or gorging on potatoes, so I can't say for sure. What I can say is a higher carbohydrate intake is much better for my sanity. Fatty meat, low glycemic vegetables and lactose intolerance is an absolutely deadly combination of suck.

Comment

I find that I feel better if I focus on vegetable carb sources over fruit. I still eat fruit, but my body seems to notice the difference between a banana and, say, sweet potato or squash. I will still eat some fruit if I am way down in carbs - and I struggle to get it as high as 60 - I want to be between 70-80 but too much fructose causes cravings for me. So I am getting creative. Some might say I need more than that given my activity level and strength training but I feel pretty good keeping it between 70-80 - when I manage to get it that high. Sigh...

Comment

I gain weight if I go VLC. (I tried the "moar fat" thing scientifically.) If you have thyroid issues, VLC can screw up your thyroid levels even more.

I do best around 75g carbs a day. I don't (er, didn't) want to lose any weight by going VLC, I just wanted to experiment, and that's when I found out about low carbs and thyroid. If you haven't had your thyroid checked, you might want to get those tests.

Just be aware that you can be hypothyroid and your thyroid hormone levels will look "normal" on paper, but if you still have symptoms, you probably have levels that are off for you. If your levels look "normal" but your doctor doesn't seem receptive to your problems, do your homework first and bring the data with you. Or get a different doctor.

Comment

The only times I've been able to steadily shed pounds is when I would do VLC, but I would always lose 10-20 pounds and then stall, and feel like crap in the meantime. So VLC is part of the answer for me, but sustained VLC wasn't pleasant (and my workouts were suffering). Earlier this year I was heavily carb-cycling and I saw some movement on the scale but the big swings between high carb/low fat and low carb/high fat were freaking my body out.

Right now I'm doing Cyclical Ketogenic, i.e. 6 days a week VLC and 1 big carb-up at the end of the week, and it hasn't been long enough to draw any conclusions, but I've lost three pounds. I think for people with a slow metabolism and a stubborn fat setpoint, some form of carb cycling can be very helpful. All I know is that whenever I sustain a way of eating for longer than a couple weeks, my weight stalls. I need to shake things up regularly to see results.

Ditto to the people who say the type of carb matters. I could eat potatoes with every meal and never gain weight, but fruit, and fructose in any form, immediately stalls any weight-loss efforts.

Comment

I've found no difference in rate of weight loss on any combo of carbs/fats/protein. What works for me is X calories per day + a one hour (or more) walk. So, that part of primal is going to be a personal thing. The difference in my X calories is that I no longer use lower calorie substitutes, and I eat whole foods, no grains, beans, etc. I also have added in resistance exercises.

The other thing I notice in not trying to mold everyday into the "right" proportion of carbs/fats/protein is that I eat more varied. Some days I'm in the mood for tons of tomato, avocado, pears, etc. Other days I could eat nothing but salmon and aioli. Watching those proportions and plugging everything into a tracker was making me too obsessed with food. Now the only two "rules" are X calories + healthy, non-processed foods.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I eat between 100-150g of carbs a day (2-3 pieces of fruit, tubers, green vegetables daily) and am still losing. I don't eat many nuts though.

Comment

Working...
                              X