Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone lose better on higher carb levels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you considered carb cycling? One high carb, low fat day after 5-6 days of <60ish carbs/day really helped me when I was trying to lose the weight I gained (yes, gained!) while breastfeeding.
    32-y.o., 5'7", 125lbs.
    Looking to improve my way of eating and mange a lean PCOS diagnosis without medication.
    Proud 80/20 primal mama of twins born March 2012 and surprise #3 due August 2013!

Comment

I find that if I stop losing, then it's time for a carb refeed. A few hundred grams for a day or two seems to work for me, I'm a 150ish lb guy. I try to keep it as low fat as possible, but it doesn't always work that way haha. A carb refeed for me could mean 3 lbs of potatoes and a huge protein drink, or that "every now and then" splurge, which I consider my 20%. It seems to get my metabolism back to normal, and I feel like I'm on top of he world for a day or two. After that refeed I go back to my normal low carb primal diet, and I begin losing again.

I know everybody's different, but I hope this helps. Good luck and God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by interzone View Post
        Have you considered carb cycling? One high carb, low fat day after 5-6 days of <60ish carbs/day really helped me when I was trying to lose the weight I gained (yes, gained!) while breastfeeding.
        +1

If I stay low carb for too long I actually start to GAIN. And I do count calories

Comment

I was low carb paleo (so also low fat) and I lost weight, but not in the way I wanted. Basically, most of it came off the top part of my body, making me seem emaciated, but the bottom part was still too fat, which gave me that wonderful pear shape.
          I wasn't eating this way to lose fat, it was for health reasons.

I slowly added back more saturated fat while keeping carbs low, and i steadily gained weight. I ate no carb for a few weeks while I was doing an elimination diet and gained fat.

Over time I realized that eating low carb/high fat makes me gain fat. It also likely caused a host of health problems such as depression, lower metabolism, feeling cold all the time, extreme fatigue, pretty much every hypothyroid symptom magnified.

Switching to a high carb/lower fat diet made some dramatic improvements. My mood instantly improved, my energy levels were noticeably better, and I'm able to eat higher calorie levels and not pack on fat the way I used to.

I realize now that everyone needs something different. Some people seem to thrive on high fat/low carb, but I definitely don't. Somehow, I thrive on the opposite, and can only lose fat eating low fat.

Comment

I can eat fruit, dairy, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, a little white rice, a little oatmeal, and even sugar (dessert!), and still mainta/shrink (I dont know how that measures in pounds since I dont weigh myself). But I must be eating clean, fasting intermittently (or limiting to 2 meals a day), not snacking or grazing, and getting ample fat in my diet. Its not simply about macros...its the actual foods that matter.

Just have to avoid carbs and fats from wheat, corn, soy and seed oils.

Whether I see any change in body comp or not, when I eat clean I feel like a million bucks, and THAT is motivation enough to keep treating my body right. Weight/fat loss as a result of optimal health is the goal here. If it was ONLY about the number on the scale I'd be first in line at Dr. Bernstein.
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Working...
            X