No announcement yet.

Organic Eggs vs Pastured Eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is little correlation between an egg being organic vs conventional and the shell strength. Much of the shell strength has to do with age of the hen and the size of the eggs. As hens get older they have a harder time mobilizing calcium to make that shell. Also, roughly the same amount of calcium goes into making any given eggshell regardless of size, thus smaller eggs will have thicker shells and larger eggs will have thinner shells. It is possible that you were seeing the effects of the hens' diets though. Perhaps the organic eggs were from hens whose nutritional requirements were being met better, but that's not to say that you can't get the same result from a conventionally raised hen fed an equivalent diet.

Comment

Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post

Also, AVOID OMEGA 3 EGGS. Omega 3 eggs come from hens that are fed Flaxseed. Not sure about you, but I highly doubt that chickens are meant to eat lots of flax. Also, there are real concerns that adding Omega 3 (since they are PUFA) to an egg is a bad idea, since that means lots of oxidized PUFAs. (If you are eating your eggs raw, then Omega 3 eggs are probably fine.)
      In the sense that they are conventionally raised, I would agree to avoid them, but I don't see why you are singling them out in particular. If I eat conventional eggs, I go with Omega 3 ones. Yes, chickens don't naturally eat flax, but they don't naturally eat soy, wheat, or corn either, and that is what replaces the flax supplement in non-Omega 3 conventional eggs. Wild Chickens have higher Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratios than Omega 3 Eggs so the supplementation does take the egg closer to "normal" in terms of its fatty acid composition. The ideal egg from my perspective would be from a pastured chicken supplemented with fish/coconut feed but that would be cost prohibitive in the United States.

Comment

Working...
      X