No announcement yet.

Help! Fallen off the Primal bus and having a hard time getting back on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You remind me of me...I am a single mom to a 2 year old and 4 year old. Turning 40 next month. My 4 year old wakes up every night between 12 and 2 am to potty. I tried for two weeks once to go without caffiene, but I felt like I got run over by a truck the whole time. I just accepted that for now, coffee with raw cream is part of my eating. I eat as primally as I can, and if I eat somthing that isnt primal one day, I just try to eat more primal the next day. I accepted that b/c of lack of sleep over which I have no control, that my results just wont be as good as I want them to be but I must feel better this way than I would if I was eating SAD and getting no sleep...if that makes sense. Just hang in there. and plan ahead. Just little things like boiling eggs on Sunday for the week can help. Then you always have a grab and go breakfast.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Comment

The Primal Wagon moves slowly and lifts heavy.

So it's easy to get back on! And the people who are on are so encouraging! Must be all that fat...

Comment

3 weeks is hardly long enough to establish life-long habits. Making the switch can be HARD. Simple...but not easy. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Prioritize. Put yourself and this new lifestyle ahead of everything else for 6 weeks. No excuses. I'm not saying ignore everything else...just don't get into the habit of blaming life and everyone else's needs for getting in the way of your own.

Plan, plan, plan. Knowing ahead of time what your next meal will be will help ward off hunger and impulse eating. I have no anxiety about being hungry for any length of time anymore, because I usually know what awesome food is waiting for me at home. One thing I hear over an over from people who "can't do" or give up on primal is that thinking about their food all the time is a pain. Ironically, our ancestors, even just a few generations ago, before convenience food, fast food and freezers, put a high priority growing, sourcing, and preserving food. Food *should* be on your mind all the time.

Stop thinking of Primal as a weight loss plan. Eat optimally, and let weight loss be a result of a healthy lifestyle.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Make a big pot of primal food and eat off of that for a few days. Then make another one. That's how I get myself back on the rail.

Comment

Don't worry about it. Sugar's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's necessary for combating the stresses of raising kids in a modern western setting. Have meals that are primal, but don't beat yourself up over desserts or treats.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I like that whole "jolt" theory too. Never heard it referred to as that, but it's how I've always operated too. Before going primal I read and absorbed for a couple weeks, and then made the decision it was time to get onboard.

As to your issue, if I'm reading you correctly, your sleep got all out of whack due to kids and you snacked during those awake moments. I've had this struggle before too...a touch of insomnia, followed by late night TV accompanied with peanut butter and saltines, pop tarts, cookies or something else equally unhealthy. These days I keep green olives, pickles, a variety of pickled peppers, bacon and eggs on hand for snacking. Sometimes I'll keep deli turkey, turkey pastrami, genoa or hard salami on hand to throw into the mix. Not all of it is strictly Primal but a darn sight better than the snacks of days gone by. No real weight gain or guilt associated with snacking this way either. And if you've just got to satisfy that sweet tooth keep some dark chocolate bars on hand. The darker the better near as I can tell. Soooo...it seems like you've gotten back into your groove a little bit now, but keep this in mind for the future. I snack on those lovely green olives almost every night. Love 'em!
              Last edited by shep68; 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X