Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a drink - any options for us very carb sensitive types?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a drink - any options for us very carb sensitive types?

Well, I'm just kidding about the "need" part...

Of course, I avoid gluten/grains entirely and, wine makes me wheeze just a little (even sulfide-free kind). Plus, I am really carb sensitive (notice my body shape looks much better when I stay VLC). Other than that I feel really great! LOL

Any suggestions for the strict primal types looking for a stiff drink?

Maybe a nor-cal margarita? any other options?

Thanks!
    spicegirl

It's not quite primal, but...

Flavored carbonated water plus vodka = easy flavored drink.

Or...

Unsweetened coffee plus a shot of whiskey of choice = good carb free option. You can also make this with tea.

Yet another good choice is unsweetened herbal tea + vodka, gin, ect... Maybe get a spiced blend with lots of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ect, for a good fall/winter drink.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Nice idea with the spiced tea.

I was thinking of a gin and tonic - if I can find a good tonic. I may have to settle for stevia-sweetened one I saw locally and just go easy on the tonic.

Comment

Vodka and club soda with a lemon or lime is my stand by. Easy to drink slowly.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Heavy on the sugar, but I like Magner's Pear Cider. There are probably better pear ciders available, but this one is tastes great and not too sweet.

...oh, and Red Wine. I'm staring at a fresh case of Ridge Lytton Zin in my office right now. Just in time for the holidays, excellent.

....and Maker's Mark. Nothing else but lots of ice and a splash of water.

That is all.
          Last edited by picksjr; 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Gin and soda. Or just gin.
            http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
            http://ternioncrossfit.com/

Comment

The clear hard liquors are carb-free. My favorite drinks are gin+lemon juice with a dash of bitters.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by spicegirl View Post
                Nice idea with the spiced tea.
                Chai tea brewed up with just plain water and a bit of whiskey or spiced rum = very yes.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Firefly Skinny Sweet Tea Flavored Vodka is flavored with Stevia and is pretty tasty!

Comment

On the list of things to buy, Prof. Mark ranks the alcohols in order from least bad to most bad.

First up is red wine - the most sensible of such indulgences.

But since that doesn't sit well with you...

Next comes whiskeys aged in barrels. A good single-malt scotch would do the trick (Oban is my favorite - but it's pricey-ish!). I recommend 1 regular-sized ice-cube per ounce of liquid.

So if you are a fan of such things, that's the way I would go. Not everyone likes their whiskey, though (let alone straight!). So after that, white whine and clear liquors are fine.

Basically, any 80 proof liquor is free of carbs. That's not the same as free of calories, of course. But a nice martini with olives or onions might do the trick, too.

Clinks, cheers, etc!

Comment

---Gin + tonic + lemon or lime juice. (not bad for an ex Margarita queen)
                      ---Ice tea +Crown Royal Black (love love love it)
                      ---Heated coconut milk + Cocoa powder + Peppermint Schnapps which has it's own sugar (7.4 carbs/sugar per 1 oz)(mmmmmm.....so perfect for those cold days)
                      F/37yr/5' 5"
                      SW: 154 March 2011
                      CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
                      PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
                      With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
                      GW: 120
                      Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

Shots. Shots. Shots. Just take shots, pretend it's sophomore year of college all over again.
                        this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

A good whiskey, served neat, is one of the great pleasures in life

Comment

pick one (non-flavored/spiced):
                            Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Rum

drink straight, on the rocks, with water or soda... add a lime/lemon/orange, olives, oinons, etc. if you like.

Some of the savory flavored vodkas are okay, but most of the sweet ones are pretty sugary. Spiced rum also usually has added sugars.
                            Tonic has a crapload of sugar in it (even if it doesn't taste like it)... unless you're specifically going for an unsweetened brand, it has just as much sugar as cola, ginger ale, etc., and I'm guessing it's HFCS if you're in the US... but if it's something you love, it might be worth the occasional indulgence - that's your call.

If I go to a place that makes their own fresh-squeezed juices and has a good mixologist, I'll 20% the heck out of an awesome cocktail... but that's just me.

If you haven't been drinking much (especially if you're in ketosis), you might have a WAAAAY lower tolerance than you used to.

Also, part of what you should order depends on the social situation and your comfort level...
                            I personally enjoy a glass of wine, whiskey on the rocks (canadian, burbon, scotch, irish, etc. - depends on what's available and my mood), and, less often, a craft beer or cider (I have friends who make this stuff).
                            I will drink a vodka soda every now and then (if I don't have time to savor the flavors in my drink).
                            I will drink 1 (but usually not more without finding out what it is) "who the f knows what's in this" shot if it's put in front of me by the owner/bartender...
                            Last edited by PrimalMama; 10-16-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Philosopher Dan!

That's great info. I didn't realize 80 proof is free of carbs. I love a dirty martini, so I think we found a winner.

I've not been much of a drinker for years (you might not believe that if you knew me in my advertising days in my 20s!) But, these days I can be quite happy with a good old fashioned chocolate buzz. Plus, I can still operate heavy equipment.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X