Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a drink - any options for us very carb sensitive types?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If alcohol has calories, but is free from carbs, what are the calories? Just curious....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
      If alcohol has calories, but is free from carbs, what are the calories? Just curious....
      Here you go.

Comment

I never understood how any alcohol can be carb-free. I thought there were basically 3 types of food energy: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It seems to me all food and drink should fall into one of those 3 categories. Alcohol is definitely not a fat or a protein so it seems like it must be some form of carbohydrate. Can anyone explain why it's not?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoSapien View Post
          The first article that comes up was incredibly interesting to me. Thanks for posting the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
            I never understood how any alcohol can be carb-free. I thought there were basically 3 types of food energy: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It seems to me all food and drink should fall into one of those 3 categories. Alcohol is definitely not a fat or a protein so it seems like it must be some form of carbohydrate. Can anyone explain why it's not?
            It's none of the above. It's its own food group, so to speak. Your body will burn that before all else.

Comment

The link crashed my internet explorer.

We think of "carbs" as starches which break down into sugar. But alcohol is CH3CH2OH. Technically it's a carbohydrate, but smaller than a sugar.

Maybe you should just accept the carbs and go for something thick and satisfying like mead.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I recommend the NorCal Margarita. I've become a big fan. It's better living through chemistry!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17472.html
                “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

If you are just worried about carbs, any clear distilled spirit is best.

If you like flavored, I do two flavors with vodka. I skin and chop ginger and put it in a clean jar. Then I dump vodka on top of it. Though everything I've read say this should take a couple of days, I usually have ginger flavored vodka in a few hours. The other I do is lemon/citrus. Zest the lemon in strips, being careful not to include the white pithy stuff (bitter) between the peel and the lemon. Put those strips into a clean jar, cover with vodka, and a few hours later, you have lemon flavored vodka - this one gets better with time, but the ginger one can get too gingery for me.

I've tried berries and melons, but they don't work as well - they're better as an adult smoothie. I haven't tried black pepper yet, or cucumber, but they sound interesting. And before I leave this earth, I will figure out how to mimic the taste of Campari.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm going to make myself done ginger-infused gin. Thanks for the idea!
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Spirits have 0 carbs. However, most are made from wheat. If your trying to avoid wheat be careful. I must admit, I do know if the

Comment

Spirits have 0 carbs. However, most are made from wheat. If your trying to avoid wheat be careful. I must admit, I do not know if the process of making the alcohol gets rid of the wheat side effects but I HAVE read stuff saying spirits (vodka and whiskey) made from wheat and grains should be avoided. Guess it depends on how hardcore you are.

Comment

If I have to switch to tequila (100% agave of course), I guess I'll just have to suffer through it.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I second the Makers Mark, over ice

or

NorCal Margarita - although I do make a slight adjustment to mine. I add a teensy bit of triple sec, because I like a little bit of sweetness.

Comment

I drink scotch (neat) and am a big craft beer guy (yes, carbs and all :P)

But I can speak for the margarita. No sweetener in a margarita is just not good in my opinion. The lime juice just overpowers everything else. Get some really good wildflower honey and use that to sweeten, seriously a teaspoon of it is plenty and is only ~4 carbs total, and doesn't over-sweeten it at all. I like mine stiff so I do 2 oz tequila, 1 oz orange liqueur (triple sec/whatever), 1 oz lime juice, and a teaspoon of wildflower honey, shaken up with ice and poured on the rocks, with salt. Perfect margarita IMHO and not much sugar at all.
                              -Chuck

Comment

I have stuck w/ mostly Rum since switching to Paleo. Made from cane sugar and prob high in calories, but I only drink a glass or three every few weeks so not too worried about it. I agree that tequila and vodka are also suitable "primal" alcohols.

Comment

Working...
                                X