Bacon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon

I am reading wheat belly, a very good book so far but, he mentions people should stay away from cured meats such as BACON. He seems to know his shit so this upsets me

Ok I won't eat Bacon anymore.

Blahahahahaha.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. There IS a such thing as UNcured bacon. You can buy that.

Or better yet, just get some pork belly and turn it into your own bacon.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
        he mentions people should stay away from cured meats such as BACON.
        I refer you to the "should I eat bacon" thread.
        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
          I am reading wheat belly, a very good book so far but, he mentions people should stay away from cured meats such as BACON. He seems to know his shit so this upsets me
          No bacon? Apparently he does NOT know his shit...
          http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
          http://ternioncrossfit.com/

Comment

I think we primal-lites do hold bacon in high regard...and perhaps we shouldnt. It IS processed food. Uncured store bought still has celery juice/salts and therefore cured with nitrates (in celery). I think it's best to not go overboard with bacon...that's all!
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Actually his major concern is that the bacon is often cured with sugar. I buy Coleman's uncured bacon for this reason. He loves bacon! We all love bacon! Who wouldn't?
              You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

It seems like cured meats really don't have that much sugar in them at all, and from what I've read lately it also seems like the nitrate avoidance is a little over the top as well. Excellent article here:
                The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon
                -Chuck

Comment

Actually bacon is held in high regard for a reason. Pork is awesome! In fact it has recently been pronounced THE most nutritious meat by Mat Lalonde. Not that his word is law, but we have been over the breakdown of pork FA profile and other positive attributes in the pork thread. That along with the science showing nitrates and nitrates are more prevalent in veggies and human saliva than bacon.....well all your left with is finding a good source for pastured bacon...make sure they don't add sugar....and enjoy!

Comment

Yeah, I've put a lot of bacon back on the shelf after seeing sugar as one of the ingredients, but lately I've been reading the nutrition information and a lot of these brands still have 0 sugar/carbs in them, so evidently the amount of sugar is rather negligible. So I just stick with whichever tastes best, regardless of whether sugar is one of the ingredients, as long as the nutritional values are consistent with minimal sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                      I wouldn't worry about it. There IS a such thing as UNcured bacon. You can buy that.

Or better yet, just get some pork belly and turn it into your own bacon.
                      THIS right here.

I get bacon from a local farmer who raises hogs on pasture, and sells bacon that's smoked but not cured with sugar. It rocks.

If I could have a freezer full of pork bellies at all time, I'd be one happy dude.

Comment

Agreed with others here. I get my bacon from the farmers market which is smoked and uncured. I also picked up a 3kg (6.6lb) pasture pork belly. I love pork belly. If you can't get uncured bacon, try pork belly. Mmm. Pork

Comment

Working...
                        X