No announcement yet.

slow to heal spots, scratches and scars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take a ton of supps, but I do take a multivitamin daily (when I'm not low, like right now) to ensure I'm getting stuff like iodine and selenium, since I don't eat a varied diet.
    Depression Lies

Comment

I take a ton of supplements, including D3 and C. I have no abnormal bruising or prolonged healing time, unless you count a belly bruise from freezer bottom diving. However, a diet high in marine flesh and oils, such as ancestral Inuit followed, was noted to cause prolonged bleeding. The upside was, no heart disease, no gum disease. Nobody mentioned extended healing of small wounds; so I'll assume their recovery time was unremarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        does anyone on this board besides me take vitamins?

anyone?

beuller?
        You aren't alone.

I take B#6 from Thorne Research. Stuff is a godsend for adrenals and allergies. When I was out, I broke out in dermatitis on my left hand where my wedding/engagement ring is; was sleeping like shit, waking up feeling like crap.

Then I was like 'zOMG! You need your B vitamins!!!11!11'

I bought another bottle, and within a few days, dermatitis is GONE, and I'm sleeping better/feeling better in the mornings.

To the OP:

EMU OIL. It's a godsend. I buy mine off eBay. Retail prices are idiotic.
        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
          I have several spots and scratches that are taking much longer to heal than normal. I've been Primal for a year now, and have noticed that this seems to be an effect of eating this way.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be the case?

Is it because inflammation is so low on a Primal diet ? (though I suppose this would make the healing process speed up faster?)

Confused.
          Have you tried any non surgical treatments so far?

Comment

When I want a wound to heal quick I do a little *gasp* cardio. Even just a 15 minute sweat session of anything. Seriously. IDK why it works, maybe blood flow?

But, yes, I noticed sometimes cuts and scrapes take a long time to heal, but other times, no. I also carb cycle, sometimes have dairy and sometimes don't, so there are too many variables for me to consider. I'd think anything that speeds up your metabolism would help.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The one odd effect of eating this way for me is that I bruise much more easily than I used to. I swear, every time I turn around I've got another one. However, the bruises fade very quickly, now--within 2-4 days. Before, I got fewer bruises, but it took 5-10 days for them to disappear, sometimes longer for deep ones. Maybe it's improved blood circulation in the skin that's causing both?

Cuts and scrapes heal in no time flat, and I no longer sunburn. I can't complain about a few extra bruises, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                When I want a wound to heal quick I do a little *gasp* cardio. Even just a 15 minute sweat session of anything. Seriously. IDK why it works, maybe blood flow?

But, yes, I noticed sometimes cuts and scrapes take a long time to heal, but other times, no. I also carb cycle, sometimes have dairy and sometimes don't, so there are too many variables for me to consider. I'd think anything that speeds up your metabolism would help.
                That's interesting - I think I read in one of Peat's articles (or maybe it was Danny Roddy, can't remember) that carbon dioxide is essential to wound repair. I wonder if the boost of cardio brings up your CO2 levels briefly and helps kickstart the healing.
                __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Working...
                X