Primal Fried Food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Fried Food?

I really would like to get a nice crunch on my sweet potato fries but wasn't sure if it was considered PB to do that. Is there a fat or oil I can use that will give it a good cripsy texture and is still considered Primal?

You want crunch? Kale chips.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by garod82 View Post
      I really would like to get a nice crunch on my sweet potato fries but wasn't sure if it was considered PB to do that. Is there a fat or oil I can use that will give it a good cripsy texture and is still considered Primal?
      I've never made sweet potato fries but we do make white potato fries now and then. We use beef tallow. Works great! They turn out perfect.

Comment

Thanks alot, where can I get beef tallow?

Comment

Thanks alot, where can I get beef tallow?
          My local farmer's market has a seller that sells lard from pasture-raised pigs and tallow from grass-fed beef. Either of these would work extremely well for your purposes. Any chance you have a source like a farm or a market near you?

You could also try coconut oil. I've heard people have had good results with this.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Ya I can try Whole Foods. So how hot should I get it? Can I get simply do it on the Stove with a Pot of Tallow?

Comment

I personally fry my chicken and sweet potato fries in ghee, clarified butter. It's easier to find in supermarkets than say lard or tallow. And if you can't get ghee, you can always make it yourself with good old butter.

Though I've heard from others that ghee doesn't have a high smoking point, so it might not be wise to deep fry anything in it. However I wouldn't worry so much about that as some of my Indian classmates have told me that ghee is versatile and is often used in deep frying things like pakoras and samosas.

Comment

Ya I can try Whole Foods. So how hot should I get it? Can I get simply do it on the Stove with a Pot of Tallow?
                This is how we do it - on the stove with a pot of tallow. Make sure the oil is hot when you drop them in. Also, after you first drop them in make sure there is a little oil between them all so they don't stick together.

I couldn't find tallow at WF when I looked so I asked my grass-fed beef farmer. No one else had asked for it before so the next time he had some animals processed he brought me a couple gallons worth in plastic bags. I rendered it in the crockpot. It lasts for a really long time. I keep jars of it in the basement for months.

Bacon grease would probably work and you might have a ready supply if you cook bacon or sidepork regularly like we do.

Comment

COCONUT OIL!!!! OMG, sweet potato fries fried in coconut oil are to die for!!! The coconut flavor, although it's not sweet, our taste buds somehow think it is, goes perfectly with the sweet potato flavor. One of my favorite things to make and people love them when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by kitana89 View Post
                    Though I've heard from others that ghee doesn't have a high smoking point, so it might not be wise to deep fry anything in it.
                    Clarified butter has one of the highest smoke points of all oils. It's 135* higher than coconut oil. It's why I exclusively use it when I fry things.

Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Last edited by chinchiller; 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Better-Than-Yours Sweet Potato Fries | tgipaleo

This recipe is suppose to be really good for sweet potato fries. You use a misto to spray the sweet potatoes with olive oil or coconut oil.
                      Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                      Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

I've used lard or tallow in my deep fat fryer for years, the CW flack i got for that!

Best bit is it solidifes when cool (obv) and can be moved and cleaned out easily

Comment

Bacon fat is something I tend to have a lot of... could you really get it to a high enough temp to fry some sweet potato fries? I'd guess you really need it at what, like 425 or 475 if you want them to come out nicely? I've never tried but am intrigued by the idea.
                          -Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Harry15
                            Hi guys ... Really nice talking about Primal Fried Food, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about this topic, guys, before read this thread i have no any information about Primal Fried Food, but after read this thread, i have some information about Primal Fried Food, it's really nice, keep it up guys ...
                            well said. somebody get this man a plate of sweet potato fries.
                            this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Cuban Bonito or Japanese purple

slice evenly

lay flat in a cast iron skillet.

scoop coconut oil on top

turn on medium high

turn when browned

either do this while you are alone or murder your housemates... they would do it to you if given the chance
                              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X