Bone broth digestive issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone broth digestive issues?

I've been making bone broth for 2 weeks now, and I have been drinking it about 3 days/week. One thing I've noticed is that I ALWAYS get diarrhea after the day I drink more than a cup's worth of bone broth. What gives?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Hm. Can you give an idea of what's going into your broth? Like what kinds of bones, or any veggies if you add them? Also, have you been getting the bones from the same source? Maybe you want to switch up your supplier.

I'm reluctant to pin that as the problem, though, because the only place I can get a steady supply of broth-appropriate bones that aren't exorbitantly priced (Whole Foods charges 7 bucks a pound! For BONES!) is the HEB, basically the Texas version of Food Lion, and they're certainly not from organic or grassfed animals. I drink a cup, sometimes two cups, of bone broth a day and I've never had the problem you describe.

Comment

It might be from too much fat at once. I used to get a pretty upset stomach when I tried to eat coconut oil on an empty stomach.

Comment

I switch up between different cuts of beef from my local farmer (been doing shank and oxtail) and lamb neck from my local Sprouts Farmers Market. I used to just add salt, but the last batch I added an onion as well. Both lamb and beef with or without onion seem to cause the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by vb66 View Post
          It might be from too much fat at once. I used to get a pretty upset stomach when I tried to eat coconut oil on an empty stomach.
          I wish....I can eat up to 300g fat in one day, so it's definitely not that XD

Comment

Have you read much about the GAPS diet? In the beginning stage, you eat only bone broth based soups, and a sign that the gut is healing is diarrhea. So maybe it's a good thing?
            Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

But I am eating a lot of things on top of that, including starches and sugars, so I don't know if the broth would have healed my gut enough to produce diarrhea in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by alg2435 View Post
                Have you read much about the GAPS diet? In the beginning stage, you eat only bone broth based soups, and a sign that the gut is healing is diarrhea. So maybe it's a good thing?
                Pretty much what I was going to say.

OP, since you don't have problems with fat digestion, this is likely a sign that you have GI permeability and could benefit from GAPS.

Comment

Originally posted by jkr View Post
                  Pretty much what I was going to say.

OP, since you don't have problems with fat digestion, this is likely a sign that you have GI permeability and could benefit from GAPS.
                  Could you elaborate on this? So because the large amount of fats don't cause me diarrhea, I have GI permeability problems?

Comment

If digesting fat is no issue, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's an issue with specific kinds of amines. (perhaps a histamine intolerance, since it's meat that's cooked for a long period of time) The website describing the Failsafe diet has a lot of good info on this.

Minimising Amine Formation in Meat, Dairy and*Eggs The Failsafe Diet Explained

Comment

Maybe too much sodium and/or magnesium? Do you take a magnesium supplement on top of consuming bone broth?? If I remember correct, 300mg of Mg per 2 cups bone broth (and 300mg calcium, too). Also, maybe there is a good amount of natural salt in the broth and your adding too much salt to it. Excess sodium can cause diarrhea.

Comment

Might be the fat on an empty stomach? Do you drink the broth on an empty stomach?
                        Have you tried going without for a few days? If you still get diarrea intermittantly off the broth it may just have been coincidence.

Comment

Actually, I should look up that histamine intolerance since I may have issues. I ALWAYS get my face bloated from cheese, wine, chocolate, coffee, mango, mustard, kimchi, sunflower seeds...but it's weird that I have such a severe digestive reaction from bone broth?

I drink broth with meals, and my stools get more solid the further away I get from days that I drink it.

Maybe it could be an overload of magnesium. I do supplement on top of it. I'll go easy on the supplements for a week or so and see.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Comment

Don't have an answer for why, but you're not alone. I'm the same way with most any broth, and I don't think it's the fat. I had the same reaction yesterday consuming two cups of broth that was nothing but what was left from slow cooking a moose roast which is extremely lean with onions and about a 1/2 inch of water in the roaster.

ETA: I don't supplement with anything except Vitamin D3 in olive oil and digestive enzymes.

Comment

I've had the same reaction this week to a stew made with lamb fatty meaty lamb bones, and I would have less than a cup of broth with each meal. I was putting down to the amount of fat, but now that magnesium is being mentioned I'll stop my supplement on days I eat the stew.

At first I thought it might be food poisoning but I felt fine otherwise, and I was very much the morning after.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X